- advertisement -

changing the pump set

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by SharonF, May 14, 2010.

1. SharonF

SharonF Approved members

Do any of you change your pump set after 4 days or does everyone change it every 72 hours religiously? Over the past three months, my father passed away suddenly, and I haven't been monitoring our 15 yr. old with diabetes as closely as usual. He was also under a lot of stress with everything going on. We found ourselves forgetting to change the set after 72 hours on several occasions, but did it the next day with no bad effects. Does anyone else do this?

2. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

We use the medtronic Quicksets. I try to change it every 2 1/2 days. We find at around 3 days he starts running high.

Insurance covers them and never they question the number we use so I don't try to extend the life of them.

I think others can get 4 or more days out of them, but it also depends on the type of inf set.

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we've gone, more than once, 4 days, even 5, completely on accident.. In general, we will start seeing higher numbers at the end of day 3 if we don't change the set out..but the days that we accidently missed a site change, we had great numbers, the reason we missed the site change..

I wouldn't do it on a regular basis, and I would never plan on doing it...but forgetting once in a while isn't going to do any harm, especially if you are seeing good numbers..

4. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

i change every seven days (sometimes longer) and have never had a problem in 12 years pumping. (i use sils). i also use reservoirs and tubing at least two times before discarding. my numbers have always been good.
    the reason ... i have asked mm for more than a year to present a peer reviewed defense of the 2-3 day interval. the only thing they've ever provide is an old study showing a slightly elevated occurrence of toxic shock syndrome. it makes me wonder if this advice came from the marketing dept rather than the clinicians.
    hospitals re-use disposables all the time and the FDA approves. here's a 2005 story from the Washington Post:

``A growing number of U.S. hospitals, including at least eight in the Washington area, are saving money by reusing medical devices designated for one-time use, ignoring the warnings of manufacturers, which will not vouch for the safety of their reconditioned products.
    ``Hospitals are not required to tell patients that reconditioned devices will be used in surgery -- surgeons themselves often do not know. The Food and Drug Administration regulates the practice, and many hospital administrators say reusing single-use devices is not only cost effective but also poses no threat to patients because the instruments are cleaned with such care that they are as good as new.''

the bottom line is, do what's comfortable for you. if you're numbers are good keep doing it. if not, make a change.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We try to change every 3 days, but will forget often.;) We do notice BGs creeping higher sometimes after a couple of days.

6. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

We shoot for 3 days but usually change on day 4. We have even gone to day 5 on a couple occasions but try not to do that becasue we do see numbers creeping up usually late on day 4.

7. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We try to keep to every 3 days - but usually could go 4 days - I don't like to though because it takes longer to heal and he only uses his backside for pump sites.

We have gone up to 5-6 days and still had good numbers....again, its the healing time that I don't like in the longer days.

8. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Same here, we shoot for 3, but will go to 3 1/2 or 4 if there is insulin left in the reservoir and everything is going well . . . we never go beyond 4 days, but our insurance covers the sites 100% so I am not worried about the cost, either. With the steel sites we use, I think they often could go on for a week.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

same as everyone else - we shoot for 3 but sometimes it's gone to 4 with no problem. :)

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I actually plan for every 4 days. Every once in a while, though, I think, "Um, when did I change the site last? Oh crap!" In the summer, we do sometimes have to change at the 3 day mark, just because the tape starts peeling up.