- advertisement -

changing pump site ?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by darcyann3, Nov 28, 2006.

1. darcyann3

darcyann3 Approved members

Hello,

My question is, how do you get the sticky part off the body without your child screaming from pain? I have been using Goo Gone but my husband said it says not to expose to skin. He is afraid of long term affects this could have on our son. He uses the Mini med 512. Any help will greatly be appreciated. I asked our endo dr and he was no help:(

Thanks,
    Darcy

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The site doesn't have to come off immediately. My son picks at the edges to slowly remove it. Others have used Uni solve to soften the adhesive. http://www.brucemedical.com/skinbonceman.html

You can have your child take a bath and soap it up really well to loosen the edges.

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I use "DeSolvIt" which I think is pretty much like "goo gone" - I buy it from the supermarket. You only need a little to get the site to loosen, but you must wipe it off well after with a warm washcloth, or a babywipe to remove the residue which can 'burn' the skin.:cwds:

4. Kris60

Kris60 Approved members

sounds silly, but what we found works great, and Lauren(dd) is the one who figured it out (and this is from a child who hate to take bandaids off). Do a pinch up around the sticky area (grab the skin on both sides so it plumps out the area) and have someone else grab from the top and steadily pull the site tape off. Hard to describe, but I hope you understand what I mean.

5. TimO

TimO Approved members

Yikes! Goo gone! I don't know that this is very gentle on the skin. Try UniSolv wipes. They work great and are meant for taking off site residue. If you can't find them elsewhere, they are available on the minimed.com web site. Individually-wrapped wipes. $12/box of 50. Good luck.

6. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

baby oil or cold cream (Ponds) on a cotton ball. Rub around the area gently and the oil of these products will lift the tape. Also great for the goopy stuff the tape leaves behind on the skin.

7. 5miraclez

5miraclez Approved members

Baby oil works great. I even use the gel kind and it takes it right off.

8. Farm mom of 5

Farm mom of 5 Approved members

Baby oil or water or ice.