- advertisement -

Changing from Novo to Apidra

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kiwiliz, Mar 7, 2009.

1. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Has anyone started pumping Apidra after using Novo and did you have to change the amount used - and by what percent. It seems most people drop between 15% to 50%. I would love to know - have you ever had any site failures/ pump failures on Apidra and did you shoot sky high very quickly when you did? - Sorry lots of questions.

2. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

I think it really depends on the person...I have seen less, more and no change. We are about the same but had to decrease at first. Site failures have been rare for us before and post Apidra.

3. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

After we finish this vial of Humalog, we will be trying out the Apidra. We were told to use the same amount. I'm looking forward to reading other responses here. Thanks for beginning the topic!

4. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

No site failures or clogging.
    It is hard to say what you will need as far as dosing. Our son is not "stable" like a lot of people his needs go up and down like a kite in the wind, and it was that way from day 1 on novolog and it is that way on apidra. We like it though and are on our second vial. So far so good. :D

5. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I think it definitely depends. For Jacob basal went up, DIA down, carb ratios and ISFs about the same.

It also took a week or so to really settle in. His body seemed to be confused by the Apidra for the first few days, like "Oh, is this supposed to be insulin?". Therefore he was using much more Apidra at first and we almost gave up. The insulin need gradually came down though, and after a week to ten days things stopped changing.

6. alismom

alismom Approved members

Allison was initially on less insulin, but now is about the same. We have had no real problems.

7. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Thank you all so much for answering - very encouraging.:D Have you been able to get highs down quicker?

8. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

Yes, we have :D

9. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

For us, I don't think it is any faster acting. It does end abruptly and I like that. The tail is a thing of the past.

10. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

We had pretty much the same experience as Dave. Dramatic increase the first week and then it leveled off. I would say all said in done her basals increased 30%, her DIA went down to about 2 hours, and her boluses and correction factors all stayed the same. We love that is it works so much faster! Hailey no longer preboluses more than 5 minutes for ANY meal and corrections at night start working in 15 minutes or less :eek:

11. mattsmum

mattsmum Approved members

Hi
    Slightly off topic but can you get Apidra in N Z ?:)

12. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Think so - am going to try:D;)