- advertisement -

change lantus to am dosing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kim5798, Oct 17, 2013.

1. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

If I want to change the time of the lantus dose to the morning versus evening...what is the approach? Do I not give the pm dose tonight...cover any highs related to the missed basal overnight & then give the dose in the am? I know I can look this up in a book, but thought I'd get opinions.

thanks!

2. TheTicefam

TheTicefam New Member

I'm totally new at this but the hospital told us that if we wanted to change the lantis it would have to be in 3 hour incriments... so if you give it at say 9pm.... tonight instead of at 9 you could give it at midnight... the next night 3am... then next 6am.... until you reach your time frame!

Adrienne

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

When I forgot Lantus one night until 4:30 a.m., my daughter decided the plan was to switch it by 2 hours earlier each night until we were back to bedtime. We had started with 1 morning dose of Lantus until they decided she needed the peak to help with nighttime numbers. We were advised to split the doses until it was completely moved. 7 units one morning, 6 the next & 1 at bedtime, 5 the next a.m. & 2 at bedtime, 4 & 3....and so on until the entire 7 units were at bedtime. My daughter hated the way Lantus burned, so when she was faced with the double shot again, she assertively made her alternate plan & it worked.

I don't miss Lantus at all.

4. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I wouldn't just not give basal and correct highs. I'd personally do half the basal, correct those highs, which wouldn't be as bad as with no basal at all. Then do al l of at the time you want. But you'd probably have to have a good amount of uncovered eating.

When we did MDI before the pump, we did lantus at bed time. After we came off the pump, I just switched it to the morning. Right now, I like mdi better than pumping, and my daughter does too. She likes not having to worry about the pump and having something attached to her.

She'll probably be getting dex soon so she might hate me for having something else attached to her instead! lol

5. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I think I am going to see how this weekend goes. The prob not give the pm lantus dose on Sunday night. I will hook up her pump & do a basal for overnight & then give the lantus dose in the am. I know I will still wake up to test her, but at least if she needs insulin I can just dose via the pump.

Her exercise is just too much and at varied days/amounts. I cant keep up. Tired of treating the lows overnight, even with uncovered carbs at bedtime, but if I lower the lantus, it is not enough. Thinking it will be better to have it wearing off overnight instead of just starting for our overnights. That is what we had to do when she was little.

We shall see! I can always change it back.

6. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Have you considered splitting the Lantus dose? DD did 2/3 in am and 1/3 in pm.

7. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Well honestly, my daughter has always had the lows at night, which is why I'm up a lot during that time. Her needs greatly decrease at night. On the pump, her highest basal during the day was .175, and at one point during the night, it was .050. She still dips low around 3-4am, but no matter what, that happens. Even on the pump, it could not be handled well. Juice is usually given, and she always wakes up in range at 100-150.

We also have the issue where 1.5u of basal is not enough but 2u is a little too much. I've been leaving it at 2 though because she is doing absolutely wonderful during school, always in the 100's. I'd rather her have the issues with her BGs when she's with me, not at school.

8. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I have thought about it. We did that when she was smaller too. I have to say, that gave us the best result. But she was getting between 6-9 shots a day! After that is when we changed to the pump.

The endo is not on board with even changing it to morning dose. I'm sure she would not like it if I told her we were going to split it. However, if it works...that is what matters.

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

Just keep giving it 3 hours earlier each day. Watch for lows in the period of overlap (ie. the 3 hours after each earlier injection).

Good luck! :cwds:

10. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Starting my experiment tonight! Did not give lantus. Using her pump for overnight basal tonight & will dose her lantus in the morning. Then we shall see how things go....

Dance team coach added 2 more rehearsals this week. Bring it on!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013