advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change lancet every single time?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bnmom, Dec 12, 2010.

1. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Saw another post about lancer/lancet and people seemed to be talking about NOT changing the needle each time they checked level...? (Didn't want to hijack the thread, so posting this one)

I have been using a new needle every time son checks. But, do I not need to do that?

Do you guys use just one needle a day, or change twice a day or...?

Thanks in advance for your guidance :)

2. Emilyk1054

Emilyk1054 Approved members

I guess you're SUPPOSED to.. I dunno. Everyone does things a little different..
    But we use. Multiclix..or click, whatever. We use the same needle before turning maybe 3-4 times.

3. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

The joke on the board is we change the lancet when we change the clocks for DST/STD time. ;). But, really it's daily-ish as we remember. Sometimes it's every couple of days :eek::eek:

4. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I would hazzard weekly here...

do what you feel comfortable at.

5. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Wow, I never in a million years would have thought of reusing a needle. We go through 5-6 of 'em a day...so to even be able to cut that in half would be such a great savings on the cost alone.

This forum so rockssss - I have learned more practical, useful information here than from the hospital, endo and diabetic educator combined!

Thank you to every single person that posts and/or responds on this forum - you guys are making this so much easier than just forrest gumping my way through our new D life since ds' dx.

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

This may be a duplicate. Years ago when I used syringes I used those for lancets. They were much sharper than the lancets at that time. I use a Multiclix most of the time as I find it easy to use and easy to dispose. Most use their lancet until a few stabs do not easily draw blood. They change not due to cost as much as just convenience and not having to deal with extra waste and time spent on changing things. :)Ali

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

See these polls: http://childrenwithdiabetes.com/poll/poll20101013.htm

I think there are advantages to reuse and to always single use, but I think that if I used a device other than the Multiclix I'd probably not change the lancet. The multiclix is the only lancing device I've tried where taking the lancets out doesn't involve a big risk of sticking myself.

8. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

I'm bad I guess... I use the same lancet over and over until either it just bounces off my skin and doesn't pierce it, or until when I poke my finger, it gets stuck in there because it's gotten so dull it's at the point of hooked over and the lancet device hangs there still attached...
    I do make sure to AT LEAST change it as it goes, when you change the smoke detector batteries, change the lancet... :p

9. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I tend to drop my lancer a lot and usually the cap falls off and I have to change it. Which is AT LEAST once a month, sometimes more often.

ETA: I also change it at New Year's too, new year, new lancet.

10. sooz

sooz Approved members

we use the multiclix and we change it every time...why use a dull lancer? We are lucky the insurance covers enough..I just feel like their little fingers are traumatized enough..

11. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

We've been changing every time, unless it's the middle of the night.

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Uhmm I don't remember the last time I changed my lancet. :eek: I'm still using the lancet drum samples that came with my multiclix.... When I was dx'd they told me to change the lancet every day. I do fine like this - it's the one thing that I really slip up on.

13. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

We use the multiclix and generally switch out every morning. Sometimes every other if I forget.

14. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I change every time or should I say I dial to a new lancet every time since I use the multiclix. Love, love, love it.

15. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Kayla changes her multiclix about every other week.

16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We change the Multiclix at least everyday. Our insurance doesn't really cover Multiclix so we pay out of pocket. Makes me really wonder since United is making Accu chek tier one maybe they will make the lancets tier 1 too?

17. swellman

swellman Approved members

Multiclix and change every time - 10-14 times per day.

18. joshuasgranny

joshuasgranny Approved members

We always change. If you look at the needle using a magnifying glass or microscope (which I did) you will see that the quality of the needle is greatly affected after one use. They are designed for single-use.

Plus, I am a leftover hippie, and using dirty needles is a no-no to me. Even though that lancet is being used on the same person, after one use it is contaminated. Yuck.

Nope, we don't use dirty needles here. Sure, we pay more as we use lots of Multiclix barrels, but to me it is worth not taking the risk of using a dirty needle.

Just my opinion..I know others re-use them all of the time.

Susan

19. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Our Diabetic educator told us that we could use DD's lancet for a few days without changing it since she is the only one using it. I have been changing it once a day since we are testing so much right now.

20. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

i have been diabetic so long....I change it when 1) I can't get blood out anymore with it or 2) when it hurts.
    Emily has to change her lancet every day or 2 b/c she can't get blood out when it gets dull