- advertisement -

Change in environment=sky high bg's?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Traci, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Traci

Traci Approved members

We are visiting my parents in another state this week and ds's numbers have been through the roof. I am so frustrated. Every time he eats, he goes sky high. I've changed his basals by almost three units--and he was only getting about 12 units total basal. I've started adding a unit to every food bolus and his ratio is 1unit per 20 carbs. His total daily insulin has gone from an average of 22 to 30! He is not sneaking foods, no ketones, I've changed both insulin and sites to ensure it's not a site/pod issue...I'm just at my wits end. I haven't slept since Sunday night, so I know I'm hanging by a thread at this point.

Thanks for sticking through this long enough for me to get to my question: does a change in environment affect anyone else's cwd like this???

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

I feel your pain. DD's TDD has gone from 20 to 35 in a few days due to all the rich food and the lack of exercise compared to her normal routine.

Have you tried a new insulin, in case the old one is expired or otherwise gone bad? If you have, then I'd be increasing the basal further (try 1.5 units more daily until he drifts into range).

3. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

You might want to do some basal testing through the night to see what his BS is doing.

Do you pre-bolus for meals?

4. BrendaMc

BrendaMc Approved members

Certainly no expert here- but we traveled from NC to Cali last summer and my DS numbers were crazy. Couldn't get him out of the 300's. On the plane home, landing in Atlanta, he had a low and didn't have anymore crazy highs. Not sure if it's the travel or the different food or the altitude or the temperature...

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We saw something like (but lows instead of highs) this when we went to visit family in CA. The time change combined with excitement required us to set up a whole new basal plan on the trip. A trip to the beach last spring, we ended up not having to make up for missed basal during the day. Playing in the ocean and pool more than made up for any missing insulin. We also went back to the 15g free snack rule too!

6. Traci

Traci Approved members

I guess different foods combined with adrenaline is a bad combination for us. He is getting tons of exercise, so I keep worrying that he's going to drop like a rock, but no sign of that! I also tend to adjust slowly, so I've been changing one thing at a time, but we're only here for another couple days. I did change to a new bottle of insulin, so I guess I will just increase his basals again. I usually just go up by a hundredth each time...I know that's way too small for what I'm seeing on his bg's. Would a tenth across the board be too aggressive? Example: from .50 to .60

7. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We live in IL and every time we visit family in KS my son's TDD almost doubles. He was at about 25 units TDD before Xmas and once we got to KS, he was at 45 units TDD while there. CRAZY!

It is lots of high carb/fat foods, but DH thinks it's also an elevation change -- weird, but I think he's on to something. KS is 1000 feet higher than where we are now. When we went to the CO rockies 2 years ago we couldn't get numbers out of the 300's most of the trip, and had to increase TDD in HUGE amounts -- after coming back from that trip I heard from a lot of people that higher altitude can contribute to high numbers. Just food for thought.

We've learned to just increase EVERYTHING on the car trip down to the KS. Basals and bolus rates. This trip was very smooth, CGMS helped a lot too!

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

Going up by 10% (eg. 0.5 to 0.55) is usually the increment that balances "big enough to make a difference" with "small enough that dire lows shouldn't result".. :cwds:

9. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

What is the weather where you live and the weather your in now?

10. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

He could have dropped and your chasing rebounds...I have seen it happen, especially with LOTS of exercise.

11. Traci

Traci Approved members

Nope, not chasing rebounds...I've been checking him about every two hours since Monday night (hence the part about no sleep). The lowest he's been was 107 and that was last night.

Weather...pretty much the same as at home but much more humid. Could humidity play a part?

I'm really thinking it's just excitement from being at the grandparents with tons of cousins, go carts, four wheelers, nerf battles, wii battles, who's sleeping where, opening gifts daily, etc. Not to mention lots of good food here in Louisiana! :).

I was in tears when I posted the original post on this thread...having a couple people let me know that I'm not alone buoyed my spirits! Thanks, all! I sincerely appreciate your help.:cwds: