- advertisement -

Chances of two being Dignosed with Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abuchanan, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

Does anyone know the chances of two kids being diagnosed with Diabetes. My youngest (6) has been eating everything in her sight lately. She is starting to make me nervous. But im not sure if im worrying just because her sister is diabetic. Would this have ever bothered me before. Would I have just called it a growth spurt! Maybe its normal but Im just getting uneasy with it! The few times Ive checked her sugars they have been about 110. I havent checked them since she started eating so much. Maybe I should. But I dont want to scare her. So I dont know....

2. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

I just read something today that siblings of Type 1 children have a 10% chance of getting it themselves. It's a low percent, it's not nominal, but it's not a number that would make me lose sleep at night. Good luck!!

3. Abuchanan

Thanks that helps put things in perspective!

4. KatelinsMom

KatelinsMom Approved members

There are a few people on this forum that have more than one child diagnosed with type 1. So even though the percentage doesn't sound too high, it definitely happens.

5. prima0006

prima0006 Approved members

It runs in families

I'm from of family with 6 children - 3 of us are type 1's, so was our dad.

Don't scare her but do keep an eye on her. If she's lost a lot of weight, is tired, and is constantly urinating, I would get her tested.

If not, she might just be going through a growth spurt.

6. Abuchanan

Would her BG level be high? Meaning I am noticing signs of diabetes with her, but her BG level is normal. So does the BG level eventually elevate or whould it already be elevated if she is showing symtoms?

7. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

we got two

8. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Is the following true? No Type 1 runs in either of our families. Our doctor said it was a spontaneous genetic mutation that caused Elizabeth's diabetes. However, because she now has the gene, she has a bigger chance of giving it to her offspring than I do.

Just wondering if that is a true statement.

Our doctors said we had nothing to really worry about with our other children, unless Elizabeth had an identical twin.

9. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I call my oldest non-D our little ticking time bomb. Kind of sick and just asking for it but that's the reality I guess. His grandfather, two great aunts, his dad and his sister all with type 1.

tick....tick.....tick....

10. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

I was pregnant when my 3.5yo was diagnosed in January 07. We were told
    <10% chance new baby would get it. I've read about many families with siblings having it too though.....

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

In general I don't worry abot Seth's brother getting D. But, the other day he was complaining about how THIRSTY he was:eek: More than once. He was 120 on his arm when I tested him. He hasn't complained about it since:confused: It's natural to worry more, If you really think she's having symptoms, trust your gut and test her, if she gets worried, she wont be if the number is normal...Good Luck, it's probably nothing:cwds: