- advertisement -

Chance of saving a soaked Dexcom receiver?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by StacyMM, Jul 8, 2014.

1. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Yesterday, DS jumped in a pool with his belt on. He realized it immediately, swam to the side and took it out. I was at work so when they called I had them shake out the water they could and put the receiver in a Rubbermaid container with some desiccant.

It's been about 30 hours. The screen is no longer misted but there is no life in it.

The pool uses a salt system.

This is a brand new receiver (of course!) but luckily, while his old receiver was dead, his sister's old receiver still had life (we replace them at the same time to keep ordering easier) so we hooked it up. Unfortunately, that means we now have two pink ones in use...which is a pain...but at least we are still live :)

How long do you think I should give it? I hate to buy one if this one will come back...but I also don't want to be without if the old one dies (it's about 14 months old and it's twin died a few weeks ago) because vacation is coming up soon. Especially because we've done a replacement before and I can't remember which kid it was...so I may have already used that one-time $199 replacement on him.

Anyone had success saving one? How long did it take? Did it live a long, happy life afterwards or did it seem to shorten it's life?

2. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we struck out on this.

My DD's receiver took a bubble bath in a bubble machine at the local children's museum last year. I read a bunch of stories of miraculous recoveries online, and I was convinced we could revive it, as we've managed with cellphones in the past. We immersed the receiver in dry white rice for a good 48 hours (no peeking!), and it all turned out for naught. I wish you the best of luck, though!

I did not realize that Dex only gave one $199 receiver replacement. Is that forever per customer, or just during the receiver's warranty? Maybe you could try special pleading because your family are such good customers?

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We struck out too. My son had his in the pocket of his swim trunks and went running through the edge of the lake, so it wasn't even what I'd call "soaked". Never did succeed.

4. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

Ours also took the salt water bath of death. Sorry.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

Considering you have 2 kids on the Dex I would call them and explain the situation and ask for the $199 replacement. They're making a lot of money off of you with supplies. It's worth a shot to ask. Good luck!

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I agree; you have nothing to lose by asking.

If I were in your shoes, StacyMM, (and I know it's only a matter of time until I am; we've just been lucky so far) I'd give the white rice in Tupperware treatment a week, just in case. I wonder if this only works for fresh water, or is more dependent on how long/at what depth the receiver was submerged, or is even dependent on the particular kind of white rice (e.g. is Basmati more effective than short-grain white rice...)

I hope, at the very least, that they give you a deep discount on the replacement.

7. jacks101

jacks101 Approved members

We also lost a Dexcom receiver to the pool. We tried the desiccant with no success and ended up having to buy a replacement at full cost ($700). In Canada they don't seem to offer the $199 replacement...maybe because we have to buy ours through Animas and can't deal with Dexcom directly?

8. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

We had the same thing 2 weeks ago. About a week later,it would turn on, but I haven't used it to know how well it works.

Our Dexcom rep was awesome and gave us a loaner for 2 weeks while the insurance processed the new one. What is this about a $199 replacement? We had to pay the full $500, as we haven't met his deductible yet.

9. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Hmmm...now you all have me worried. Maybe the $199 was a PDM replacement?! I order way too many supplies.

It doesn't look promising. I think I'll give them a call and see what I can find out. Doesn't seem like my hopes of reincarnation are realistic.

10. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Tech support, while very nice, wasn't able to help me. He did say that he has never talked to someone who successfully dried out a receiver.

Sales needs to give me a price and they are gone for the day. I left a voicemail and will let you all know what I find out tomorrow.

11. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

We were told there is a one time replacement fee of $199 for a replacement that is due to the fault of the customer (water damage). After that, it is full price. We were told that as long as there is no water damage, and since our receiver is still under warranty, we will not be charged for our replacement.

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Yes I have been told of the one time replacement for 200.

13. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

$199 for the receiver and $5 for shipping.

The annoying thing is that they will only ship the pediatric version so we are stuck with the confirmation screens now. Well, he is...DD has a regular one. Guess we'll see side by side how irritating the FDA can be.

I didn't ask what full price would be - figured I'd rather be surprised than to think about it when I see the kids near a pool ;)