- advertisement -

ChampVA and pumps?

Discussion in 'Insurance Issues' started by phoebes, Aug 3, 2009.

1. phoebes

phoebes Approved members

Has anyone dealt with ChampVA with getting a pump for their diabetic child? Or I guess Tricare runs pretty similarly, so if you've dealt with ChampVA OR Tricare.

I want to convince Lizzie's Dr that I feel a pump would be better for her now, but I was curious about the insurance.

Does the insurance have a list of pre-approved insulin pumps that they'll allow, or do you pick your pump and then go to the insurance and fight them for it?

Honestly we haven't had any problems with ChampVA yet, they're super about her meds and supplies, but I haven't had the pump issue come up yet.

How does that work?

2. phoebes

phoebes Approved members

anyone have experience with champva/tricare and pumps?

3. Vi'sMom

Vi'sMom Approved members

Vi is on Tricare Prime Remote and we got her the Aminas 2020 pump thru tricare.

Ask and I will try and help as much as possible.

Here's what we had to do. Went in and talked to the endo about it. met with the pump edu. nurse and choose our pump. Our Endo had to request authorization via letter to tricare about the pump. She did tell us that usually her request is not approved the 1st time so she will have to write a more detailed letter to Tricare, but for some reason we were approved the first time! It took about a month start to finish.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!