- advertisement -

CGMS which one do you have?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KeltonsMom, Sep 29, 2007.

1. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I am currently fighting with my insurance for a CGMS and I may just save money and buy one and stop fighting with our insurance.

Which one does everyone who uses one have?

2. JenFur

JenFur Approved members

We got the MiniLink to go with the girls Paradigm pumps. We went ahead and paid cash for it. We only got one.;)

Hopefully, insurances will start paying for them.

Jennifer

3. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

We too are on the Minilink and paid cash and continue to pay cash!

4. Nana

Nana Approved members

Minilink also :D

5. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

My son has been using Medtronic's cgms 24/7 since last October, paid out of pocket for the transmitter and sensors but hoping it will soon be a covered benefit! Overall we have been very satisfied using this, definitely some sensors more closely parallel the meter readings than others, but the trends are very helpful to recognize highs/lows earlier.

Kathi
    Mom to son (8) dx'd w/ T1 Jul 2004 at age 5
    Also mom to son (10) and daughter (2) w/o diabetes

6. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

We just ordered the Minilink, we did not get an answer from our insurance yet, but i don't expect them to cover it at this point! But I did not wanted to wait any longer:D

7. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

To those who paid for the minilink out of pocket do you mind telling us how much it cost?

8. WestinsMom

Since you already have the pump, you can get the minilink with 10 sensors for $999

9. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

Teddi,
    I can tell you. I got the dexcom system based on price alone. I got a used 3 day system for 250 bucks with 6 sensors. Dexcom also does work on insurance approvals.
    Wendy
    p.s. Dexcom is 450.00 for reciever and dohicky, and then 240. for sensors. that is the 7 system

10. WestinsMom

Oh, and then I should add that the sensors are $35 a piece

11. Cyndi

Cyndi Approved members

My daughter is also on the Minilink but she uses the stand alone unit, the Guardian RT system. We have United Health Care and they covered it for her at 100%.

12. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

We have the minilink with her 722 pump.

13. jeep_bluetj

jeep_bluetj Approved members

Minilink. Ins (UHC) coverered it. We haven't had a sensor in all summer, as it just interfered with life.

But with school up again, we'll use it.

14. sweetpea

sweetpea Approved members

We use the Dexcom. I have not tried for insurance coverage yet. We use the 7 day sensors and get 7 to 14 days out of it. The receiver was $450 and the sensors are $60 each.

15. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I read about this one but it says it is for adults over 18...My son is 14 :(

16. rmccully2000

rmccully2000 Approved members

Dexcom (our 1 year CGMS anniversary is next week!) It's not a perfect system but we still love it.

We paid out of pocket and filed for reimbursement. Insurance covered it without appeal, but I did appeal and win the out-of-network status. The downside is the new 7 day sensors are more expensive at $60 each for the same amount of wear time per sensor.

It is REALLY nice though, only have to restart once a week.
    Becky,
    Mom to Mason, 7 Dexcom, Omnipod

17. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

A doctor can still prescribe it. It is just off label use. Lantus for example is only aproved for 6 and up, but lots of kids under 6 years old use it.

18. susan

susan Approved members

We use the minilink also, but we too have to pay for it..Because of that he doesn't wear it all the time, just when he is going to be doing something different like the first day of school, birthday parties, or if he's going to be really active..

19. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

The minimed minilink is approved for children ages 7 and older.

20. MLH

MLH Approved members

cgms

We use the minilink and the MM522 together. I was able to get my insurance company to cover 80% of it (Aetna PPO). We love it and find it extremely accurate.

The only issue is you cannot hear the alarm when it is in a pump pack and under covers. But thanks to the "continuous glucose sensing" forum, I bought a wireless mic and put it in the pump pak at night. I have computer speakers on my nightstand and so now I can hear it! It's not perfect, but it works!:) Minimed is working on this issue from what I understand.