- advertisement -

cgms users a ?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sammysmom, Jun 23, 2007.

1. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Do any of you regular users of CGM's find that because you are able to spot the lows (most of the time) and treat it before it hits, do you think that by doing this, your kids may lose the ability to feel and low or express that they feel "off".??

Also, even though this technology is great, what do you think you will do if your child rebels aginst it? My son was in a clinical trial of ALL the cgms and in the end he said he did not want to wear one again. He said that he felt like a robot. Yes we even tried the minilink, the small size still did not help. I can see his point not wanting to be hooked up more than necessary. So while all this technology puts our (parents) mind at ease, what would you do if your child completely rebeled against it? We have the opportunity to go on another cgm and my son does not want to....we are just going to have to use it for basal testing....he is getting older now and doing more activities..swimming, karate, soccer all that kind of stuff and he hates feeling attached to something or more so having a second site in place.

I have aslo been through diabetes with a toddler that was very sensitive to insulin so I do understand why parents want the cgm's,,,but these toddlers grow up and start having their own opinions about this stuff...that is where we are at right now. Believe me, I am not a mom that lets her kid dictate medical treatment but in this case, it is just an "extra" piece of equipment that does not replace finger pokes and also make the kid feel even more different.....hmmmm It sure gets tricky when these kids get old enough to expresss an opinion and share their feelings.....diabetes sucks.

shannon

2. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

I would think that it would be the other way around (with regards to no longer feeling lows), where if you prevent them from happening you preserve the adrenalin response that causes the nasty feeling. I've always been told that the more frequently you "feel" the lows, the greater damage you do to that response and that is what eventually causes hypo unawareness.

3. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

You said your son tried the Minilink. Was this with the Guardian CGMS as well as his Cozmo pump? Was his main concern wearing an extra device or having an extra site? I don't want to keep sounding like a spokesperson for Minimed, but if you had the Real-time pump, he would only wear one device (the pump) and the sensor.
    I totally understand if you love your pump, and wouldn't consider switching (I actually really like the Cozmo, and but went with MM for the technology)

But yea, I guess it depends what you think is more important. If he was willing to wear only one device, but an extra site, then you'd have to decide whether you like the Cozmo better, or if you really wanted a CGMS (if getting a Minimed pump is even possible in the first place)
    Sorry I'm rambling... If he tried the Minimed pump with the Minilink and didn't like even having an extra site, then ignore what i said... :p

I guess if the Navigator ends up integrating with the Cozmo, then maybe just having an extra site wouldn't be so bad for him, so I guess you could always wait for that. :cwds:

4. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

no he wore the minimed pump during that trial....I would not have him wearing two pumps!!

shannon

5. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Oh ok, sorry, I thought he might have been using the Guardian stand alone CGMS with his Cozmo, not 2 pumps lol

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  6. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

I do worry that Westin isn't "thinking" about how he feels when he isn't hooked up. I worry that he gets so use to a machine telling him how he feels that he doesn't have to think about it. It hasn't been an issue, yet, but it does cross my mind.

Westin doesn't like wearing it, but he doesn't throw a fit about it either. I think it is going to make an amazing difference in his a1c and can't wait for the results next month. I know that we are reaping the benefits of much better control without having lows, which has always been my fear. I have never been one to agressively treat this disease, always afraid of another seizure. We have only had one and that is because I have always let him ride a little high out of fear. CGMS has changed our lives. I am much more at ease with agressively treating highs. Westin will continue to wear it on a nearly continuous basis for his health's sake.

7. MLH

MLH Approved members

cgms and pump

My daughter tells me she feels like a robot sometimes. It breaks ny heart. But I think she realizes the cgms gives HER more freedom. I am not at every play date and always bugging her to check. One day she may not want to wear it, I will have to cross that bridge when I get to it. In the meantime, I just hope the technology keeps getting better and better and it won't be as much of an issue. With adolesence starting to rear it's ugly head all bets will be off!

I am so grateful to the scientists out there who keep working on the new technology. Short of a cure, it is ok!

8. krstn9@yahoo.com

krstn9@yahoo.com Approved members

I feel that my son started to loose the feel of a low before the CGMS because we were running into lows more. I am hoping that we have less and we now be able to "feel" them more since they are not as common. That seems to be the case for us.

I can understand the robot feel. It depends on the personality of the child. Both my sons are into gadgets so my 6 year old doesn't mind. Can't say this will always be the case since we are only a month and a half into it.

I do love the CGMS since my son had a seizure in the middle of the night. This gives me "some" piece of mind. I can predict the lows coming in advance. It has also been helpful watching the after meal spikes and we have been trying out the smart bolus method to reduce them.

Hope all works out. Maybe something to revisit later on. They change their minds so often.:)

9. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

I'm an adult,

but for me also, having FEWER lows increased my body's reactions to being a bit hypo, improving my awareness.