- advertisement -

CGMS Question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ROVERT81402, Sep 19, 2011.

1. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

Right now, my son has an animas 2020 pump. The warranty is up soon and I'm wanting to get a CGMS for him. Since the warranty is almost up, we can pretty much pick whichever pump we want. So my question is, what is the difference between the CGMS' out there, and which one do y'all think is the better one?

Thanks

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

You may find more info on the CGM forum. We have used all three. Nav, Dex and Minimed. I currently have one child on the Dexcom(since 2009) and one on the Minimed CGM (since last year)

3. Lize

Lize Approved members

We're using the MM with CGM and although it's far from perfect, I wouldn't go even one day without it.

I don't have experience with any other pumps. Sorry!

4. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

My son has been on both the MM and the Dex. They both read perfect for him and we do not have any worries there. The MM insertion really is becoming a problem for him though. Having to tape over the transmitter even if it is just a little bit of tape is bothersome to him. No matter what we do, he ends up with a raised red mark after we pull the sensor. As much as I like the MM and have had great results with the accuracy of it, I think we are about to switch back over to the Dex. For my son, the insertion is much more gentle, no skin reactions after we pull the sensor either. Both are great CGM's so I think it is just an issue with my son when it comes to the skin reactions and taping issues. You really can not go wrong with either one though.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

Gary Scheiner's review of the different systems is interesting: http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showpost.php?p=759096&postcount=4

I think you will find strong opinions both ways. Often the people who have tried both systems currently available have switched due to disliking one or the other or encountered a problem with it.

We've been using the Navigator but it is being totally discontinued in the USA so we're switching to a Dex - i'm ordering it this week. We have an Animas pump so integration isn't the issue at the moment (can't get another pump for 2 years). William wants a Dex as his diabetes heroes wear Dex, insurance will pay for the sensors and the features seem good so that works for me.;)

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Minimed and Dexcom are the only companies selling CGMSes that you can still buy in the US (Navigator is available elsewhere).

Dexcom only sells one thing- the Dexcom. The sensors are FDA approved for 7 days and many people wear them longer. The sensors go in with a 25G needle. There is a low alarm that can't be turned off, as well as a high and low alarm that can be turned off. It vibrates five minutes before beeping for all alarms.
    Currently the Dexcom is not integrated with any pump although the company is trying to integrate it with Omnipod and maybe something else.

Minimed makes lots of things, like pumps. As far as CGMSes are concerned, they sell a stand alone receiver- the Guardian- and some of the pumps (the Veo, the 722) work as receivers as well. In the United States, the sensors available are approved for three days and are inserted with a 23G needle. There are customizable high alarms, low alarms, predictive alarms, and more. The Minimed transmitter stores data for 40 minutes and can dump data after being out of range. It also has a vibrate option.

The costs are fairly similar over a period of time. But if you use a minimed pump that works as the receiver, then a receiver is one less thing to buy, and minimed is cheaper in that case.

I personally use a Dexcom primarily because the Minimed sensors hurt too much.

7. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Jonah have you tried the Enlite? Just wondering.

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

No, they aren't available in the United States, and I stopped using Minimed by then anyhow. If the enlite sensors become available here, I might switch back to minimed.

9. selketine

In case it wasn't mentioned, Animas and Dexcom plan to sell an integrated pump here and I think their integrated pump/cgms is out in Europe - the Vibe: http://www.animascorp.co.uk/animasVibe

The Enlite sensors are new for the MM and available only overseas and seem very different than the current ones MM sells in the USA.

Both those items are out there and could sway your decision but there is no telling when either of them will be for sale here or which one first. I like the Animas/Dex combo but if I knew the MM/Enlite combo was coming here very soon I'd hold off buying a Dex just to try it (I'm actually buying the Dex today - switching from the Navigator).

10. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Huh, doesn't look like the vibe has either the remote or the stand alone receiver for the parent.

Doubt we'll switch when it gets here.

That said... Ava uses the Ping and we LOVE the remote. We never take Ava's pump out of the pouch unless we have to do a temp basal.

It's really convenient and discrete. Plus it's great for doing corrections in the middle of the night without having to fish around for pj's to find the pump.

Also we are happy with the Dexcom. We did a trial of the Minimed, but didn't like the way the transmitter fit. I say, see them both, try them on and decide. They are both reliable if you use them right.

11. selketine

Yes, but you are not taking into account that as slow as the pipeline has been to get new products to market here in the USA that your daughter will probably be 16 and doing it all herself - ha ha!:p

Someone on the yahoo CGMS group posted that she works in an endo office and the Animas rep stopped by and dropped off some advertising material for the Vibe. She said she was leaving work for the day and didn't think much about it- she thought it must be out/approved because there are such strict rules against advertising for it otherwise. She was surprised to find that as far as everyone knows - it is not yet approved for sale here.

Probably a fluke but I wonder if approval is so close that they have printed up literature on it?

12. ROVERT81402

Thanks for all the info. I am very interested in the vibe, in fact, I'm calling animas right now to see when it will be available. :) I'm a little nervous about switching to a different pump, I am so familiar with the animas one, but I don't know if I'd like having a seperate receiver for the cgms...
    Thanks so much :)

13. ROVERT81402

Ok, so I just got off the phone with Animas. They are hoping to get a pump equivalent to the vibe here in the US for FDA approval by the end of the year, and it would be available sometime next year. So i'm gonna take that as meaning it will hopefully be released by 2013. I definitely don't want to wait that long. So if we go with the animas ping with the dexcom, he'll have the pump, the remote, and the receiver for the the dex?

14. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

That would be a lot to carry, but he wouldn't have to carry the remote. have you considered Omnipod? There is supposed to be integration with Dexcom there also, but who knows when that will happen either? The nice thing about the Omnipod is that the PDM does not have to be nearby unless you need to bolus or test. Melissa just has the Dex clipped to her waistband, and the PDM stays on the counter or a purse or backpack when she is out and about.

15. selketine

Well the remote is a meter so if he didn't carry the remote he'd need to carry another meter. So yes - there is the pump, meter/remote, and the Dex receiver.

William has a spibelt with two pockets and we added a hardshell camera case to it too (to carry the Nav receiver when he used that device). His pump, receiver, tabs and asthma inhaler all went there and he'd carry the meter in his pocket.

I don't know where guys put all that stuff - they need a man-purse I guess.:p

16. ROVERT81402

What all do they need to carry with the minimed & CGMS?

17. selketine

I guess the MM you'd have two things: pump/cgms and a meter.

With the Dex you'd have pump, cgms receiver, and meter.

Someone with knowledge should chime in - but I'm not sure with the MM integrated pump/cgms how the parent would hear the alarm at night if the pump is the receiver UNLESS you have the Guardian unit. Assuming this is for a child too young to respond to the alarm himself - or you are afraid he'd sleep through it. My child is 9 and I don't expect him to respond to the middle of the night alarms. Not sure how much the Guardian costs.

With the Dex I have read that people put the receiver next to the bed - and set a baby monitor there to hear the alarm (I think one person said they put the Dex receiver and the baby monitor in a backpack or bag so that it doesn't pick up every single noise from your kid - just limits it mostly to the Dex noise). I have the Dex on order so I can't tell you yet what works and what doesn't.

18. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

Hi Everyone,
    Okay The Vibe is dexcom's generation 4 sensor integrated in with the animas pump. If Dexcom follows suit they will be releasing one that is not integrated with the pump and one that is integrated. I have no clue this could be just another software upgrade. The seven to seven plus was basically a sensor change not a reciever change. This is all assuming that everything is the same as other years.
    Wendy
    p.s. I do happen to know the generation 4 sensor is being tested alone because know people in the trials for it.

19. sneakermom

sneakermom Approved members

FWIW, I spoke with an Animas rep because our pump is now out of warranty. My concern was springing for a new Ping (we don't currently use the remote at all) and then not being able to upgrade to the Vibe when it is released. She said that Animas will be offering a $299 upgrade to all current Ping users when the Vibe is released.

As for Dexcom, I can't wait for the new G4 sensors to arrive! We still have some sporadic straying of numbers with it and are really hoping that the "improved accuracy" and the resolving of the Tylenol issue will really benefit us.

20. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

That has been the case for a number of years, sadly. The Dexcom earnings call sometime shed light on the process with Animas and Omni Pod. Mostly the 'news' is Dexcom is working with the FDA. The regulatory process around insulin pumps have tightened. That process has moved both to next generation of Dexcom sensors.