- advertisement -

CGMS question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Reagan's Mama, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Reagan's Mama

Reagan's Mama Approved members

How long does the CGMS itself last? Are you supposed to replace them after a certain amount of time? Does insurance cover a new one after a certain amount of time? Anyone know?

2. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We got our first transmitter in Aug 2008 and just got our replacement this week. The other one still works but we get weak signal a lot more than we use to. I think they are only under warranty for around 6 months. Our insurance did cover the new transmitter but I had to provide a month's worth of bg logs.

3. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Are you using the mm cgm? The sensors do expire after a certain time--they are made with enzymes and spoil. They last in the body anywhere from 3 days to several weeks--we use ours for 6. The seashell is warrentied for say 6-7 months (?). If it stops working before then mm replaces it. After that time, you call mm to order anther through your ins. If you have a guardian, not sure how long that is warrantied for, but I'm thinking it's the same in that in warranty mm will cover it, out of warratny ins will pick it up. Unless you lose something--then you're sol.

Even though the seashell is only warratnied for a short time, they've been known to last over 2 yrs.

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

The Dexcom transmitter and receiver both come with a warranty for twelve months, and I hear they actually last about eighteen months.

The Minimed transmitter is warrantied for six months. I hear they last longer for many people.
    The Guardian receiver is warrantied for twelve months. Since mine was replaced three times in a six month period, I can't imagine it lasting very much past twelve months.
    If you use a minimed pump as the receiver, then it's warrantied for four years.

I don't have insurance coverage for CGMS usage.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

MM is under warrenty for 6months.. that said, we still have our original one from 2007, and it still works.. its our backup though, so we don't use it all the time.

6. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

our first MM-less then a year. And that was with absolutely no use to speak of, and the shell just sitting in the box (thats probably why!) and our second shell... in the box :mad: I cant get the darn thing on him!

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

When its not in use it must be stored on the blue charger. ;)

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

That happened to our first- sat in the box for almost a year. The second one - well, she got it wet 1 week after the Endo put his foot down on her wearing it.

The third one was the replacement for the wet one, and it kept spontaneously restarting from the get go.

The fourth one is pure Heaven.

9. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Our first transmitter lasted over a year- the battery life just wasn't what it once was.
    We're currently on our second transmitter, and it's going strong.
    I like to get our replacement at the end of the year due to us meeting our deductible for insurance.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Our first transmitter was purchased in June of '08, and still works. We have a second one that was purchased in September of last year, and it's fine too.

11. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

Our current MM transmitter is from June 2009, use daily and still working fine. I think the transmitter before this one was about 2 yrs old when it started dying (lots of weak signals/unsolicited restarts). Seems like the 1st generation transmitters had issues, we had several that only lasted a few months but after MM redesigned to the current shell design, extremely reliable and works great, can't imagine a day w/o DS wearing it. It is only warranted for 6 months though.

12. selketine

selketine Approved members

When does insurance pay for a replacement cgms? After the official warranty is up? Then most of us would be getting a new one every year or so.

The Nav warranty was a year - but they are a special case...:rolleyes:

I'm just thinking if Abbott comes out with a new one that we will ask insurance to buy it - it has been awhile since they bought one. If Abbott doesn't - we will look at Dex (or maybe even MM - some of the new stuff coming out looks interesting but seems to not be due out for quite awhile).

If we could get a new one every time the warranty is up (so about every year) I wouldn't worry so much about which one we got (like the pump has to go 4 years so that is a LONG term commitment!).

13. Reagan's Mama

Reagan's Mama Approved members

Well, I called today and ordered a replacement. We got ours in March of 07. We don't use it all the time, just about every 6 weeks. I have had multiple issues with lost sensor/weak signal errors and was never once told by MM to order a new one. Seems odd to me.

Any how, new one on the way ! We paid out of pocket for the first one because BCBS didn't think a 18 month old needed one. I hope they cover all of this one!

14. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Our Dexcom was replaced after a year when the warranty was up. I had to call Dexcom after a year was up, and they did all the leg work getting med. necessity papers and whatever else they might have needed from the endo and approval from our insurance. All I had to do was make the call. They called back as soon as the approval went through to tell me it was on the way.
    Our first one is still working strong, but they never inquired on it's condition and since our great insurance is over at the end of the year and then we move onto crappy insurance for at least 2 yrs. I wanted to get it now. ;)

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I suspect my insurance would pay every 6 months. Last time I just told them that it wasn't holding the charge as well, and that's all it took to replace it.

I don't ever want to be without a working one, so I replace them before they go kaput.