- advertisement -

CGMS/pump insurance coverage and warranty

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Dad of Daughters, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

We have an issue going on with the insurance company, I just want to throw this line of reasoning out to make sure I'm not way off base. Please speak up if you think I am...

Our pumps (most) have a 4 year warranty from the manufacturer, and thus, our insurance companies (most) allow for the purchase of a new pump after that warranty period of 4 years is up. Compare that to the warranty and coverage of a CGMS transmitter. With Medtronic, the warranty on the transmitter is 6 months. Would it not follow, then, that the insurance benefit would provide for a new transmitter after that warranty period is up, 6 months, like they do with pumps? From what I can tell (things are sketchy since the CGMS benefit is so new) our insurance benefit for the CGMS transmitter is replacement after 1 year. Am I right in wondering why the benefit for the pump and benefit for the transmitter do not quite line up? Thanks in advance for your perspective.

2. Dad of Daughters

Already wishing I would have added the words "adult content" or "swine flu" to the title of this thread to get some play on it! :D

3. pdxmom

pdxmom Approved members

Yes, your logic is right...however logic and reason don't seem to correlate to insurance company policies! I will, however, share that we have been using our transmitter almost a year and it has never needed to be replaced. (knock on wood).

;)

4. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

I know the transmitters are suppose to last about 1 year. But MM only has a 6 months guarantee on them. I think after the year is out, your insurance company should be able to purchase another one. If not, then maybe the insurance company would be willing to work with MM.

And really, I dont know if the Transmitter would last 4 years.

Our first transmitter is about 1.5 years old, and still working. I do have new transmitter for backup, I had MM work with the insurnace company for a new one, before the old one goes out.

5. Dad of Daughters

Thank you. Just to clarify, I don't think transmitters should be warranted for 4 years, I just wonder why there is a gap between their warranty-6 months-and the replacement policy of my insurance company-1 year-when no such gap exists concerning our pump.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

LOL!

I think it's a good question, and I wish I had an answer for you. I think we're in the same boat, and as we get close to our transmitter's 1 year anniversary, I keep my fingers crossed that it makes it that long.

7. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

Our insurance gives us a new one at 10 months

8. Dad of Daughters

Thanks. Anyone else know what the replacement period is on their transmitter? Maybe I wrongly assumed it was 1 year for most. Trying to gather as much data as possible in preparation for further "discussion" with insurance company.