- advertisement -

CGMS placement with low body fat/high muscle?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emm142, Dec 12, 2012.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been around a lot lately. Things have been crazy! I hope everyone is keeping well. :cwds:

I've been running and rowing a lot recently, and have gone from normal weight with a bit of fat to pinch to not having a lot spare (my body fat % is technically low, but I'm obviously healthy so not worrying about it) and my thighs and arms are pretty much solid. Given that is where I placed my sensors in the past, I'm sort of struggling now. They HURT, both on insertion and whilst wearing them. And when I take them off, they leave the area swollen and sore (swollen area is around 3 inches around where the sensor was placed).

For those of you with particularly muscular kids, where works best for sensor placement? I'd rather not use my abdomen because I'm putting pump sites there. Abs are getting pretty solid anyway and sometimes pump sites hurt as well.

I hate butt sites. I feel like I'm gonna have to try that anyway... Maybe love handles would work, though. Does anyone insert the MM sensors at a shallower angle than 45 degrees? How does that work?

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We use back of arm for MM sensors too. Might be a hard place if you are putting it in yourself. Has Enlite came out there for you yet?
    If we do shallower than 45 degrees we get much more blood

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We did butt exclusively when on the Medtronic CGM. We tried thigh once, hit muscle which had my high-pain-tolerance daughter in major pain. She never wanted to try an alternative site again.

Welcome back! We've missed you.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, that was my concern with going shallower. The back of my arm isn't so good either (I swear I've never had this muscle in my life :p) so I think I'll try 'love handles' or upper-butt area. The Enlite is out here, but insanely expensive and I have a few Sof-Sensors. :)

Thanks. :) Hope you guys are doing well.

Yeah, it is seriously painful. My thigh is still very sore to the touch, from the sensor I pulled out yesterday (after only 4 days, which shows how bad the pain was; I like to stretch the time on these things!).

Will try an upper-butt site I think. Or possibly 'love handle' area.

I don't like change. :p

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I was thinking of you the other night. We've started using the G4, and I'd been putting the receiver beside my pillow. After I just punched the snooze twice one night and went back to sleep without even looking at it, I realized I have to have it far enough away to wake me enough to check.:eek:

When we inserted the G4 sensor this week (our 3rd), my daughter told me to hurry up and do it. It was already done!:D I will never get another Sof-sensor into her body.

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

Emm
    If you can find any Doc who deals with T1 athletes or any T1 athletes to talk with that is what I would do. I do know being thin is a problem for using sensors, I have that issue, and being muscular is a further issue. But I know there are young kids who are very thin and very muscular and very thin muscular athletes that use sensors so there must be a way. I am not being much help...sorry. Can your Docs get in contact with anyone??, or contact some of the major Universities in the US or can you look online for athletes that use sensors and contact them directly?? Just some thoughts. Thin and muscular is an issue, and geting those sensors in on your own can also be an issue.:(:cwds::cwds:Good to hear from you. Hope all is well. :)ali

7. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

We just switched to the G4 and Hunter said the same thing - "anytime mom" and I was already done with the insertion! No way he will go back to MM!