- advertisement -

CGMS...kind of a rant

Discussion in 'Teens' started by MissEmi, Sep 16, 2009.

1. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I know y'all know I know about the CGM, what it does, how it can change your D care for the better, blah, blah, blah, but what I'm getting sick of is people shoving the MM one in my face. I go to a pump class and mention the Dexcom (the MM one scares me, to be honest...the dex looks more like a site and more comfy) and the MM rep (who is diabetic, and wears the MM CGM, which is the only reason I can think of for her reaction, because the other rep in my area is so relaxed about opinions on other d care stuff. anyway.) kind of went off on me about how the dex wasn't as accurate, and how heavy it can be on you, and how wonderful the cgm was. Usually, I don't mind people telling me what they think of a product (it's nice to get other input and hear positive experiences, as well as negative), but she wouldn't let me tell her anything. Believe me, I've researched both of these A TON, but evidently she didn't care how much research I had done, because the MM CGM worked for her, so obviously it should work for me too. And then Sunday (same weekend) my cousin who has T1 started telling me of the wonders of the MM cgm and how I should get one. I tried to tell him how much it scares me, what I'm afraid of etc...but, again, he wouldn't listen either. I don't really WANT a cgm of any kind, but I know that if I were to get one, I'd really prefer the Dexcom, it's less daunting for some reason, and the things I've read about it, I like. I'm happy with my MM pump, but I know I wouldn't be happy with their CGM. Thanks for reading, even though it probably doesn't make a lick of sense. :cwds:

--Emily

2. k.hawkins92

k.hawkins92 Approved members

Makes perfect sense to me, and I'm sorry you are dealing with that. Thats one of the reasons I made my parents give me total control of picking out my first pump, I wanted to be the one making the decision, because I didn't even want the thing in the first place (glad I have it now, though. :))
    But what I've come to realize is that some people do not understand the phrase, "YOUR DIABETES MAY VARY". WE understand the concept very well, and we know that what works for me might not work for you, and that's ok. We know how to respect each other's treatments, meaning that if a MM CGMS is what you use, and you like it, then have at it. That's great. However, there are some people who feel like they have to force their opinions down your throat, and convert you to their ideas. And I agree with you, Emily. It gets old, really fast.

Sorry if that sounded like my own angry rant, but I was just trying to say that I agree, and I'm sorry. :) I hope you get everything figured out!! ((hugs))

*To anyone else reading this: When I say "we", I mean all of you CWD-ers. Not just Emily and I. I felt like that needed clarification. :) Love you all!*

3. Toni

Toni Banned

We researched cgms before purchasing and her Mom decided on the Minimed cgms so she would only have to carry one device. After about a month where she did not complain, and we were initially thrilled, soreness after the EMLA wore off and she had to pull sensors. Last time we used the Minimed must have hit a nerve (we were using arms, and Minimed's Rep insisted we not do a shallower insertion), plus she had a serious infection develop after removing the sensor (probably Sis pushed bacteria into her arm with sensor insertion somehow). We were without cgms for a year at least (don't remember exactly when we first got it)while Sis waited and waited for Minimed to reduce the size of the introducer needle. They kept promising.... Kept following cgms users online. And when Dex 7 Plus came out, we were still waiting for Minimed to reduce the introducer needle. We are recent Dex users, and even with all the problems Dexcom is having, thrilled. Why? Because it is comfortable for her to wear and she will wear it. No three day start-ups at inconvenient times; Dexcom lasts 7 days; If you want to go for a restart and try for more time with the sensor, you do not have to gingerly remove it from the arm, put it back to charge, and gingerly place it back on the arm; Calibrations -- apparently, there are more rules than what Dexcom told us, but there are no problems with calibration; it's relatively easy to do. Minimeds cals are a PITA. Go with the Dexcom 7 Plus. You won't be sorry!

4. Artemis94

Artemis94 Approved members

Hey, I don't have a CGM either. I really like the pump I have. At the moment, it doesn't seem worth it to me even if my parents COULD afford it which we certainly can't... I mean, my d is complicated enough without having to worry about checking/calibrating yet another thing. At this point in research you still have to test your bg the same amount of times. I don't think I can deal with more checking. Don't sweat it. I understand.