- advertisement -

CGMS IV 3000 tape

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zell828, Mar 2, 2009.

1. zell828

zell828 Approved members

We are having trouble with this coming off after she is in water (swimming or bath). Usually I just retape it, but this past weekend we went to a hotel and after swimming it came off and I forgot to bring more tape with me :( so we then just took the sensor out and went without it for one day. It was on day 6 so it wasn't a huge deal, but I am worried about summer time when she's in the pool every day.

Please give me ideas to keep tape on or if something out there is better and more sticky! I use APlus, so is there something else I can get through them?

We have absolutely NO problems with her site every falling off, we don't even use tape for that, just the IV Prep.

2. MelissaC

MelissaC Approved members

I am curious to see what people post...I was JUSt getting ready to post about sites coming out after swimming...I'll wait and see what the response is.. sorry I can't be of any :confused:help

3. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

We are big fans of the Opsite tape (available thru A+) or a big knee sized band-aid.
    Covered by Opsite (she was playing dress up when this photo was taken, so please excuse the fake fur and lace)
    [​IMG]

Covered by a big band-aid
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  4. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Beware- do NOT put skin tac or another type of product under the Opsite, or it becomes a sticky mess that is terrible to get off!
    We actually apply skin tac on TOP of the Opsite, it helps keep the sides of the tape down and after several days it comes hard and easier to remove.

5. zell828

zell828 Approved members

So you use skin tac on top of the opsite as well all the time or do you just use the opsite itself mostly? That works pretty well?

Does that band aid stay on pretty good?

6. zell828

zell828 Approved members

By the way, I like the little sticker on the transmitter :D

7. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Honestly- We started out in the beginning covering it with Opsite 24/7 I was terrified to get it wet and I didn't want it to fall off. The corners started coming up and Mama2H told me about putting Skin Tac on TOP of the Opsite, and that worked like a champ.
    Then when it came time to charge it, or we were having problems with the transmitter we had to take all the tape off again. It was a pain.
    We're now down to just using a big band-aid and life is good (waterproof band-aid). It goes through swimming, baths, sweating, gymnastics, and so forth. We don't have an issue with it coming off. As you can see from the photo we apply the band-aid pretty snug so it doesn't bounce around (you can tell its tight by the sides - they're making the band-aid bulge)*Note: We do put it on the arm, so those of you who use the tush might have a different opinion of using band-aid.
    We get anywhere from 12 to 18 days on a sensor.

8. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Thanks, I will pass the compliment on to Abby (that will make her smile)! :D

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We also use Opsite. Except for our recent trip to a water park, we usually have very, very good luck with sites and sensors staying on. It is about 100 times better than IV3000.

10. zell828

zell828 Approved members

I actually like the idea of the Band-Aid. I think we might try this. We just started using the arm yesterday. Both me and my SD preferred the insertion (me doing it and her feeling it pain wise, although we did ice it a bit before inserting). I had absolutely no bleeding with the arm too. I hope the arm works well for us.

11. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Thanks Hawkeye. This is nice to know. I will get Opsite too. We have already had IV 3000 fall off several times on us. So I am not a big fan of that.

12. Abby-Dabby-Doo

I do not like these due to it being sticky on the top and bottom of the pad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We prefer these three (the flexible fabric helps keep it hold around the sensor pretty good)
    [​IMG]

I can't get this image to post- it's the 2nd one down on the right
    http://www.band-aid.com/shoppingList.do?command=listProducts

We also buy a waterproof one, but I don't see a photo of it on their web-site.

13. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

We are big fans of Tegaderm HP (6 cm x 7 cm size)--they are so watertight that NOTHING gets through. Only problem is if you want to remove it before about 3 days, it is really stuck on the skin! IV 3000 just rolls off my son's skin too.

14. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

we are using opsite flex too, the IV3000 is ok if she does not dance or swims. We put a little skin tac under the edges and this has helped big time, I only do it when I know that the tape will be on for a couple of more days. When she is dancing for a day, I used to retape every hour, she is sweating that much, but with opsite/skin tac she is doing great. For removal, if there is an issue I use tac away.

I will try the next time to apply the skin tac on the outside though:)

15. mom of four

mom of four Approved members

IV3000 just floats right off after a few minutes of getting wet for us. What we do is insert the sensor and cover it with Tegaderm, then attach the transmitter and cover with more Tegaderm. He likes it this way because he says it feels more secure.

16. pdxmom

pdxmom Approved members

We also use Tegaderm and have found it works fairly well with the usual showering, sports, etc.

For the summer swimming season we may try something stronger, but for usual stuff Tegaderm works very well for us.

Debbie