- advertisement -

CGM

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lexie251, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Lexie251

Lexie251 Approved members

I am sure everyone has already discussed this a million times. However, it has been a while since I have been on this forum and we are kind of new with the cgm. My queston is the expense on the sensors and transmitter. Our insurance is not liking the cost of my daughters sensors or transmitter. It is right at $300 a monto for sensors and the transmitter is right around 600. Does everyone have to pay this? Is there any suplemental things we could do to assist in the cost. Obviously it is not a necessity but it gives her a break from checking all the time. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I consider a CGM a necessity.

The transmitter is good for 3 months, so that brings your cost down to $200/month. Are you using sensors for only one week? Because nearly everyone doesn't change out sensors weekly. We simply restart ours weekly and can get up to 3 weeks use out of one sensor. The record, I believe, is 60+ days.

(Of course I'm referring to the Dexcom CGM, the brand the vast majority of people choose.)

3. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

yes we have to pay out of pocket for those things. Our deductible is so high, that Ashleigh never meets it. And nothing that we get at the pharmacy (insulin, test strips, ketone strips, lancets, ect) goes toward her deductible. We had 1 year where she met her deductible and got sensors and transmitter covered at 100% but not since then. Ashleigh's down to 3 sensors, so i know i need to order some more. i'm only going to order a month's worth. The last time i ordered 3 months and owed $969.00! Her current transmitter and receiver are both out of warranty but i can't afford to get new ones, especially when her current are still working fine.

ETA: Ashleigh keeps her sensors on for 2-3 weeks at a time. So a 4 sensors should last us at least 2 months time.

4. samson

samson Approved members

The G4 transmitter battery can actually be replaced. It's a DIY "hack," clearly voids the warranty on that transmitter, and no guarantees it will work, but the G4 transmitter is supposed to last 6 months, so you could potentially stretch it to a year that way.

Sensors, of course, can be stretched as long as they will stay on giving decent readings; after the week session ends, simply stop sensor and then restart it. If you're only getting a week or two from sensors because they're falling off, I'd experiment with the wide array of adhesive stickers/wipes/glue out there. Our son rarely gets more than 14 days off a sensor, but we change them out when he gets bad readings. However I've heard from people who are self-paying for Dexcom that they can stretch readings to 3 or even 4 weeks sometimes and that the sensor sometimes does recover from stretches of bad readings.

5. Lexie251

Lexie251 Approved members

I definitely feel like it's a necessity. I just figured insurance doesn't feel thay way since they do not cover it. I have went 2 weeks not 3 yet on the sensor. But I will try this. I know the transmitter is good for 3 months thankfully. Yes we use dexcom. Thanks for all the advice. It definitely seems like everyone is paying a lot out of pocket. I will be attemptin to keep the sensor in a little longer.

6. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

If you are paying out of pocket I would get the G4 because most people can get a year out of the transmitter (I got 18 months) rather than replacing every 3 months with the G5.

Also check to see if you can get them through your prescription insurance. If you have express scripts or caremark (or similar) you may be able to. I have express scripts and only pay the brand name copay for a 3 month supply of sensors. So instead of paying a percent of the cost I pay $50 for the 3 boxes. I use sensors for 10 days- 3 weeks so that also cuts down on the cost. The cost isn't that different for me but the advantage is it doesn't require any insurance approval so as soon as I have the prescription sent in I can have the order sent out.

7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh uses G4. Our last transmitter lasted 16 months. We're currently on month 4 of this transmitter. Unless dexcom makes it so the g5 will work on android phones, we'll stick with the G4

8. dpr

dpr Approved members

We get a year plus on G4 transmitters, that's definitely the way I'd go. Check your PM's.