- advertisement -

CGM training Q's

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by GAmom, Mar 13, 2012.

1. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

Once trained, do you still need to have much contact with your rep.?

(fwiw, my dh wants to ditch this company cgm because of the MM rep.s we've met. On the other hand, dexcom reps have been very nice and helpful, but my dd wants the MMcgm/MMpump so I'm inclined to stick with it)

We got a new pump and started that on our own just recently. Because of that I havent been able to read through all the cgm material, but I'm assuming it's too complicated to start on your own without rep. training?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

No. Frankly, I got all of our CGM training from this board. Users know a lot more about it than the reps.

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

I started the Dex on William without training but we had used a cgms before (Navigator) so I had the basic idea I guess. The trainer called me a couple of times and it was helpful to talk to her on the phone. I was doing one stupid thing I didn't realize I didn't have to do (but had to do with the Navigator) so she caught that (When the Nav asked for a calibration you HAD to do it in a short time period or lose readings - the Dex you have a much longer period to get it in).

Probably to learn the insertion and getting this clicked to that it is nice to have a trainer. If you were able to start the pump on your own without a trainer then the cgms is "less important" if you screw it up I guess - compared to a pump. Sounds like you are savvy.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We were trained on how to insert it by our rep, but like Hawkeye says, the rest of the training has come from this board. Our rep, though, was FANTASTIC when we were having lost sensor issues about two months in; he has Type 1 and knows the system as a D, not just as a rep. While I was being told by the helpline that I wasn't taping it carefully enough, he told me we had a faulty transmitter (even though it had tested OK twice with the blue test device) and advocated for us to get a new transmitter while it was still under warranty. And yes, I did call and tell a supervisor what the help-line person had told me. She thanked me for the call and said they rarely get feed-back like that. We haven't had lost sensor problems since.

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

Nope, never had an involvement with out CGM rep after the fact (even though she's a lovely lady)

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Agreed. There were some definite gaps in our rep's knowledge, but fortunately, we've had no cause to have any contact with her since the 1-week follow-up (which was, by the way, a massive waste of time). This is where I come to read and ask questions.

7. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

Unlike the other posters our rep was great and we did rely on her the first few weeks. I never called medtronic directly. She was completely available by phone when we needed her, which was a couple of times a week the first two or three weeks on cgm. She checked in via email also to see if we had any questions.
    Some of the other posters may have already had experience with the pump, we did CGM first so it was all new to us.

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Unless you're looking to have sensors replaced (they did send us several freebies during the period we were having difficulty due to the transmitter before they replaced it), the Helpline people - with at one exception - are very nice, but they read off a script. I have it memorized.:rolleyes: They only wear the sensor for three days as part of their training, so their practical knowledge is almost nil. That's why I talked to a supervisor about the guy that told me I wasn't taping carefully. I had 10x the experience he did at that point, and I had a vested interest in having the system WORK as the threat of seizures or DIB is always lurking, unlike for him during his trial.

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

For minimed, my rep did a training that was helpful, and gave me a sheet that I think he made himself that was sort of a map through the complicated menu system. I wouldn't have needed it to start using the Guardian, but it was useful later as I was trying to figure out advanced features. I called him a few times about using features.
    He was also supposed to help me with insurance, but that didn't work out. I never got insurance coverage for the Guardian.

I've never met a Dexcom rep but Dexcom is so simple I can't imagine what I'd need training for.

10. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

Thanks everyone, for volunteering great information!

It's interesting that so many got more info. at CWD than from their rep.s

We have done our initial training for the cgm. (It was not the originial rep. that we'd met before.) The rep would not let my dd use Emla/numbing cream or ice, because it would take too long for the numbers to work out, she said. My dd inserted the site in her abdomen and almost passed out.

The trainer was very nice about hanging out for a while to see if my dd could screw up the courage to do another sensor insertion, since my dd took out the site because it was so painful, but to no avail. The rep said since I did a successful insertion on myself in her presence that we could try the sensor insertion on our own. But I was to leave it totally alone and not do anything until we had contacted her and made an appointment for training.

So, we have to do this, again.:(

My dd was up most of the night, she couldnt sleep because of the pain from the failed sensor insertion site. She'd grimace every time she had to move. I'm thinking she hit muscle? It was fine by morning.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I never met with a rep or anyone who knew what to do. My CDE gave me a couple of spare sensors they had at my clinic, and sent me off to figure them out. Karla walked me through the insertion here and I was good from there (incidentally, it seems that I was fond of exclamation marks and ":D" smilies back then :rolleyes:). So it's definitely possible to figure out without a rep at all, so you shouldn't need much contact with yours.

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm sorry the first insertion hurt your daughter. There is NO reason not to use numbing creme. None. Zero. We've use numbing creme for every insertion for 4 years with zero problems. If your endo won't prescribe it, ask your pediatrician. Otherwise, you can buy LMX4 over the counter.

Grrrrr. I don't know why they train these reps to say that you shouldn't use numbing creme. (Ours actually encouraged it, but many of them do not.)

13. selketine

selketine Approved members

Not used the MM cgms but we've used emla with the cgms every time and never had a problem. It doesn't affect the readings either. I just make sure to wash it off with soap and water and let the area dry before insertion so the tape will stick.

14. buggle

buggle Approved members

Same here. We have used the Navigator and the Dexcom and never did any training or met with any rep. Our doc sent in the Rx and we had it delivered to our house and started using it. We asked questions on this forum and were on our way.

15. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

With the exception of one, we have used EMLA for every MM sensor for the past 3yrs. I still regret the one that we did without:( Some sensors are extremely accurate right from the first calibration, others take some time to get going, I can't see how that would have anything to do with using EMLA.

You're the parent, you get to make the medical decisions, if you think your daughter would be more comfortable using the EMLA, then the trainer doesn't get any say in it, period.

At this point if you are comfortable with the insertion, I would insert the sensor, hook that baby up & be on my merry way. I mean really, what's the trainer going to do when she finds out, make you take it out:rolleyes::D Tell her she can meet you at the next endo app't to go over any questions or problems you are having.

FWIW, even though the abdomen is an approved MM location, for us (and many others from what I've seen here) it's not a preferred place. We mostly use the tush, but will also rotate to legs once in awhile.