- advertisement -

CGM sites?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nanhsot, May 2, 2011.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Where are your CWD's favored CGM sites? The manual makes it seem like tummy is the preferred choice but it seems like I've heard many of you whose kids wear it in the tush. That would really be a better option, but I'm thinking insertion may be an issue if I had to help him (he's stubbornly independent with stuff that involves needles!).

So, where are your favored sites?

CGM training TOMORROW!! Woot!

2. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

Hi Nancy,
    My son doesn't have any padding at all on his tummy. His CGM sites are always on his upper to mid- tush. I'm afraid to try anywhere else for fear of the needle coming out the other side of him :rolleyes: He's a stick. The sites are working well, I put tegaderm over the whole thing and haven't had a ripped out one yet (knock on wood...)

Good luck with your cgm start!

3. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Wooohooo the Cgm is great! Ds wears his on his tush most of the time. The back of the arms also work well. We haven't tried a tummy site because ds doesn't have much fat on his tummy.

You are going to get the best readings on a fattier part of the body but he might need some help with insertion. Good luck :)

4. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

Just wanted to say we started dex about 7 weeks ago and have only tried the back of her arms...she says it didn't hurt just felt like her inset...hope you love your cgms..and if I can ask what kind of training are you going too? we didn't get any training for the Dex just watched the video's and read the manual and we inserted that night that we got Dex....wishing you luck!

5. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

arms and butts are her preferred site placement but I still insert most of them for her for her ease.

6. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Tush is absolutely not an option here....dd wouldn't even consider it. She does have a little padding on her tummy now, but the one sensor we tried there was a total failure, & the only one she complained of pain on insertion. We stick to the arms. With sensors lasting 10-14 days with our Dex, there's plenty of time between changes for it to heal. Going since late Sept with no sign of scarring yet.

7. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

my CWD has only used her abdomen. I mentioned trying her arms but she doesn't like change. It's all good though because pump sites aren't working too well on the tummy.

8. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

only used tush so far (upper) but can see it working well on the back of arms too. the tummy doesn't work for us yet for the pump so haven't tried the CGMS there.

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We use the side of the arms, always. 7 days at a time, rotating between each sensor.

10. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I've only ever used my stomach. I get good readings there, too.

I did try an arm site last week, and it was not very easy one handed! I think all the fumbling around I did trying to get the inserter disconnected irritated it as it bled a bit. I hoped the sensor was still good, but the readings were not right from the get go.

I would like to try an arm site again, but I just need to figure out the best way to do it unassisted.

11. Lize

Lize Approved members

We have tried everywhere, but our favourite site is the upper thigh. My DD loves it there and we have very good accuracy.

12. suz

suz Approved members

Our preferred spot is the back of the upper arm. We alternate arms, so time to heal inbetween, and we find most sensors last at least 10-14 days. DS would probably prefer to use upper buttocks, but sensors don't last as long there, and we get poor night-time readings when he sleeps on his back.

He does complain that his arm hurts for a few hours after insertions, so we always try to give Ibuprofen beforehand. Remember that Acetaminophen is off-limits when on Dex!!

Good Luck!!

13. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Well I'm not surprised if your 16 boy would prefer that you not do a butt site for him. :eek: :D We do butt sites and arms for cgm and tummy for pump sites. But dd is 8, a girl, and chubby all over.

I did see that that Olympic skiier (I forget his name) who is totally hot and not an ounce of fat on him lifted his shirt at D camp to show the kids his dex on his tummy, washboard abs and all. (Is there a smiley that means hubba hubba?) So I'm guessing even with very little fat and lots of activity, a tummy site should be fine.

14. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

We use arms only and have had no issues. Good luck!