- advertisement -

Cgm question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kledi, Feb 27, 2016.

1. kledi

kledi Approved members

We had an appointment today with my child doctor. His hba1c was great 6.5. We are going to use a pump finally ( in may ) but he said to us that i can't write a paper that u use olso the cgm because his hba1c is great and u dont have dangerous lows , and there are many other worse than need it more. Than after some discusion he said ok u can have 10 free sensors or some more a year which u dont have to pay but u can't trust a cgm cos its not accurate, he was just trying to convince us that a cgm its not nesesary,my son is 3 years old and we are going to get it even if we have to pay for it, but i wanted to have any advice how to make the doctor understand that we can really benefit from it ?

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

What country are you in? If you are in the US, what type of insurance do you have?

If you were to get a dexcom you could potentially come close to getting 30 weeks of sensor use a year out of 10 sensors since you can restart the sensors.

3. kledi

kledi Approved members

We are in finland and the sensors are enlite integrated with medronic 640g.

4. scarral

scarral Approved members

So first he says that there are others who need it more and then that you can't trust it becase it's inaccurate? It sounds to me like a bunch of excuses to me. I obviously don't know what the medical insurance situation in Finland is exactly, we live in Austria though, and the hospital we're being advised in (my son is about your son's age) just gave us the document for the insurance the minute we asked for it. We've had the sensor for a couple of weeks, but I do believe that anyone can benefit from having a sensor. Is there some other diabetician or diabetes clinic that you could switch to, that could potentially be more supportive? I mean he's 3 yo for God's sake, even with excellent control and a great A1c there's no way you can prevent hypos, however rare they may be. And who knows, maybe you'll discover hidden hypos once you start using the sensor!

It just occurred to me, if the doctor agrees to give you 10 per year, and with those forst few you bring him data, he might come to reason and see how your son could really benefit from it, and then agree to give you more.

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

usually a good argument is that your son is 3 and can't communicate lows. With an a1c of 6.5 there surely are some lows that are happening, or lots of numbers near to low that might be concerning. If nothing else, point out that your son never has woken from a low at night on his own. I would start documenting every low that your child has. But if you've got 10 sensors - which last 2 weeks? - then just use them for now and keep documenting.

6. scarral

scarral Approved members

Yeah you can definitely restart the sensors. I've used them for up to 8 days, but you can certainly use them at least 10 days. A suggestion I heard: make sure the ISIG number (you find that in menu-storage) is above 10, that means it's still good to use.

The way to restart the sensor is as follows: disable the sensor function in the pump settings, disconnect the transmitter from the sensor, charge the transmitter, enable the sensor in the pump settings, select connect to new sensor, reconnect transmitter to sensor and follow the instructions on the pump.

7. kledi

kledi Approved members

One thing that made me very angry was the doctor saying that if u feel stresed that u may have lows in the future try for a hba1c betwen 7-7.5, dont be this tight, thank you for all ur sugestions

8. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

First, that's an awesome A1C for a 3 yr old! My daughter had HUGE overnight bg variability at 3. She still does, but at age three it was even more extreme -- with the same pump settings, she could hit 45 one night and 350 the next, all while going to bed and waking up at reasonable numbers.

Another major advantage of CGM with a small child who does not feel hypos is being able to leave the child with other caregivers. CGM gave us major peace of mind in arranging child care, and also in letting her do overnight visits to grandparents, etc.

Good luck!

9. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I find this ridiculous. It's not a zero sum game. It's not like if you have a CGM someone else will be denied it. It's what makes lower A1cs safe.

I do agree that aiming for 7 is perfectly reasonable - there does not seem to be evidence that I have seen that someone with a 7.1 suffers more risk of complications than someone with a 6.1 and if it gives you some breathing room it's not a bad strategy. Remember, the goal is not perfection, the goal is good enough.

10. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I wish this Forum had a "LIKE" button, because I'd be hitting it for this ^^^ post.