- advertisement -

CGM painful for children?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tracygthomas, Jul 9, 2012.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The two hour warm up starts when the green light flashes. We have two transmitters, so what we do is that I put the new sensor in while he's sleeping, and connect the second transmitter, leaving the first one still operating. In the morning, we take the old one off, put the new transmitter numberr in, and restart. We get asked for a BG within 5 minutes. No 2 hour warmup! And the new sensor is nice and wet and very accurate from the beginning.

Yes, we get the weak signal on day 7, and we change then if we haven't already.

2. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I actually have 2 transmitters as well because they sent me the whole system when I recently got the monitor replaced. I should try what you do. But I didn't understand why Darryl waited 2 hours to connect the transmitter given that the transmitter needs at least 2 hours after its connected to ask for a meter bg (or maybe a little less when the sensor had already been wetting for 2 hours). I'm curious if this helps with more accurate readings. I don't think I would wait the 2 hours to connect it only because Bethany is 8 and may knock the connector clip and damage it. I connect it right away and let it wet longer like you do.

3. hawkeyegirl

Yeah, I don't know why he waits 2 hours to connect either. You can always connect and just wait to start the sensor to avoid those "nuisance" alarms that you can get in those first two hours.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm not a child, but I don't really have any higher percentage of body fat now than when I was a child, so I would imagine that CGM hurts me about the same amount as it would hurt an average sized child.

Honestly, insertion does usually hurt. But it's bearable and usually only lasts for a few seconds. Wearing the sensor is generally painless, although I do occasionally get a bad spot which aches for the first day or so. I've never taken a sensor out because of pain (they're so expensive!).

I'd recommend using EMLA for a kid though, particularly a sensitive one or one who never really wanted to CGM in the first place.

5. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We have two transmitters (A and B) so there is no downtime in readings, and we use this schedule:

Sunday 9 PM - Insertion of new sensor A

Monday 1 AM - Connect transmitter A to sensor A (4 hours after insertion)

Monday 8 AM - Remove transmitter B/sensor B, change transmitter code in CGM to code A, select "New Sensor". The CGM requests CAL within 5 mintues since the transmitter is already past the 2-hour warmup period.

Monday 8:05 AM - First calibration

We began leaving the 4-hour time between insertion and sensor attachment, and another 7 hours between transmitter attachment and calibration (11-12 hours total between insertion and first cal) because we found that the first calibration was more accurate as was the first day if we allowed the extra time before the first cal. Technically this is not at all necessary but we found it helps get more accurate readings from day 1.

At (or before) the end of day 7 you must remove and replace the transmitter and see it light up again, or it will shut off. We do this at the end of day 6 to avoid any possible downtime.

6. Lizzy731

Wow you put my organizational skills to shame Darryl!!! Lol. So on day 7 you just remove and replace the same transmitter and DON'T recharge it? Did I read that right?

Also do you find it really makes a difference if, say you connect the transmitter right away and don't "connect it" to the monitor until 8am? Just curious if you tried this as well because I don't know if connecting the transmitter right away messes up any readings even if you wait several hours to actually calibrate?

Thanks for the details!

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Our transmitter A was made in 2008, transmitter B was made in 2011. The 2008 model does need to be plugged into the charger for a few seconds at 7 days, or it will not restart. The 2011 model is a new design that only needs to be unplugged/replugged from the sensor to restart. I've never found a need to actually "recharge" either transmitter, the day 7 expiration is by design and not because the battery is weak.

Before we started the 12-hour delay from insertion to first cal, we found that several hours after the first cal, the ISIG would increase (sometimes double) causing false highs on day 1. The reason, I think, is because the sensor needs more than 2 hours after insertion to stabilize. The 12-hour delay eliminates that problem.

8. Lizzy731

Thanks for the info. I was under the the impression that the weak signals were for a need to recharge so on Friday I will unplug and re plug as both transmitters I have are brand new. I am excited to try your new taping technique next Saturday! Will keep her current transmitter on her next sat night and will start her other transmitter Sunday morning after the sat night insertion. However I think I am going to connect that one as soon as I insert the new sensor but not do the initial calibration until the 12 hours are up Sunday morning like you do. I hope it works because I also get a lot of false high when I do the initial cal within 3-4 hours. I'm hoping it works this way as well.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking but I'm sure this info helps you as well!!

9. hawkeyegirl

The weak signals on day 7 are definitely because the transmitters are programed to do that to force you to remove the transmitter. I don't know why they don't just program them to give a Sensor End message on day 7, but they don't.

10. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

That should work fine as long as it lights up when you connect it. When you switch the CGM over in the morning to the new ID, it will ask for a BG within 5 minutes so you'll have no downtime. Readings should be good from the first cal if you wait the 12 hours.

11. hawkeyegirl

This is anectodal, but I don't worry anymore if the green light doesn't flash right away. I tape it down and ignore it. They all must eventually flash, because I've never had one not start.

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I think you're right but haven't tried it!

13. hawkeyegirl

I was always too worried to try it until one night where I was just DONE and the stupid thing wouldn't flash. In a fit of fury, I taped it down anyway, and it ended up working fine, LOL. Since then, I don't worry about it and haven't gotten burned yet! :p

14. Lizzy731

Yes I agree. There have been a handful of times that it hasn't flashed and I just tape it up and don't worry about it

15. Lizzy731

SOOOO been there and done that!!!!

16. zell828

zell828 Approved members

We have been using the CGM almost 3 years. Of course any child is going to say they don't like it, who would? But we use an ice pack on the arm before we insert and within seconds it is over. The positives of having the CGM and being able to see the numbers, trends, greatly outweighs the negatives.

17. Tyggirl

Tyggirl Approved members

I'd love to get a CGM for my daughter but worry about her being so skinny. Right now we've only had luck putting the Pods on her arms because of this. The girls seriously has nothing to pinch anywhere else. So real estate for both Pod and CGM are slim (no pun intended). The CGM obviously goes much deeper, so do most with skinny kids use arms? It seems like lots of people have posted that here. Or with little kids are there other places to consider.

Our CDE hasn't had many patients stick to it because either they didn't find it accurate or didn't like the insertion, but readily admitted all of them were using the MM one. We'd be leaning towards the Dex if we can get them on board to fight for us. I'm just not sure how it works with the super thin? Not a problem I have...

18. sheeboo

sheeboo Approved members

It works beautifully on my dd, a thin 8yo. Insertion, she says, is less painful than the Pods, which she finds sting a bit for a split second. She honestly doesn't even wince with a Dex insertion....says it hurts less than an injection as well.

When she was telling her grandfather, a T1 who is old-school, about all of her new devices, she said that Dex is her "favorite diabetes poke" :cwds:

So far, we've only used her belly for sites, since she can't find a comfortable place to wear the pods there.

19. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I was told by someone on the helpline that if the sensor isn't wet enough, it won't flash and that it will when it is moist. That's the only time we haven't gotten a flash right away, but I was concerned the transmitter had died.:rolleyes:

20. Ali

Ali Approved members

Well for what it is worth. This last week I did have a sensor where when I attached the "Clam Shell" it did not flash any green lights. I left it on for several hours and nothing and no numbers. I took it off and tried three more times over the next 12 hours. It was a no go. When I had a chance to put in a new sensor it all worked as usual, I have to assume there was something faulty with the prior sensor...I tried to get it to work as I have never had that happen in many a year. :p:p Believe me I am still shaking my head.