- advertisement -

CGM at school

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sammysmom, Aug 18, 2009.

1. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Do any parent of D children have them wear the CGM while at school. We were against it at first but the new Dex has proven to be invaluable for our son. We are considering having him use it at school but I am unsure of how to do that for school. What do we put in the 504...go by cgm or bg check. Right now we are down to 3-4 checks per day...breakfast lunch and dinner. Everything inbetween we go by WALTER (his cgm)! Anyway, if anyone uses the cgm at school I would LOVE to know how to incorporate it and how and what to write up in the 504. He has also started self treating his lows according to the cgm. The school does not fight us much on anything, but this would be all new to them.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Tammy: I didn't hear you guys switched from the Guardian to the Dex - is that because of the future Animas integration?

3. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Thanks for that info, it really helps! Anyone else??

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

Well....at home we will sometimes dose for meals without checking the cgms - if he is in range and everything seems to be great - and we have been getting accurate readings otherwise.

At school they test before lunch and they will test anytime he feels low (or really high too I guess). Whether at home or school, if we suspect a low we always test is what I'm saying.

Part of our issue at school is been that he might slowly drift down below where we set his "low" target and he is still in a fine range and feels fine and doesn't really need to be tested. (We have to keep the low range set to 90 because if he is dropping fast - it needs to be higher to catch the low.) I guess this is our only tricky thing - he is a bit too young and too unaware of his lows to go totally by his feelings. And he is just learning how to self-treat. I think, however, if your child can self-treat for beeps for lows or projected lows that it is great - they should be able to do that. So far we do not have any cgms info in the 504 but I plan to add a few things (about allowing to self-treat lows). We aren't to the point yet that he carries the test kit - the school is small and it is a quick, short walk to the health office (always with an adult if he feels low or beeps low).

The nurse would not be happy dosing insulin off the cgms - I think that no one "officially" would recommend doing that - even though I know most of us do it at times.