- advertisement -

CGM and phones

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by susanlindstrom16, Apr 27, 2016.

1. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

We are up and running with the dexcom! I'm super excited about it especially because my daughter is really excited for it too. I'm an idiot though, and I only recently realized that we can't follow her on our phones from the receiver. All this time I was thinking she would carry the receiver and we'd follow her on our iphones. duh. She is 8 so we weren't exactly planning on getting her her own phone at this age, however I'm considering it now. I'm curious about what other parents with kids around her age do? Right now I think we are good just getting used to using the receiver and cgming in general, but part of the reason we got it was so we can check in on her when she's with friends or whatever.

2. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

The ability to follow your daughter on your phone is a game changer and well worth it. It will allow for greater freedom and flexiblity in so many areas. Not only because you will see her numbers but because you will be able to text or call her directly to ask questions and give advice so she can be more independent. I was absolutely a parent who said that young kids don't need phones. But a child with type 1 is absolutely an exception. The school is completely on board and the nurse and one other office staff follow my daughter on their phones which makes their life easier too.

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I would never have given my 8 year old a phone either but we have and I don't regret it at all. We got a used iphone 4S (the minimum you need) and I used the Restrictions feature to "turn off" the browser, app store, camera etc. It's just a medical and communication device. I set a silent ringtone and then assigned a special one to me and the others in contacts so he would only hear calls from approved people. I also installed a Find My Phone app so we can see where he is if he's not responding (once he was at the playground and dropping like a rock - he was swinging and the bag was hanging off his bike handlebars so he didn't hear me calling but I could find him and got him sugar right away). No issues with school - it's in his 504 and regarded as a medical device. If you get a Verizon phone you can put it on the Page Plus network for about $3-5/month.

4. mamaberkhie

mamaberkhie Approved members

I was another who said I didn't want my kid to have a phone but DS is 5 and we gave him an old iPhone. It doesn't have service currently so it works well for school purposes. I can easily follow him while he's there and right now that's really the only time he's away from us.

But I absolutely intend to add service to it when he's older and more independent and able to use it to communicate with me. I can't imagine not using the phone now that we've made the switch!

5. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

This was chock full of good tips and info. Thanks Jenm999!

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I agree wholeheartedly with what everyone above has said: I don't think I would get an 8-year-old without T1D an iPhone, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a child with T1D one. If a child has T1D, I consider their iPhone to be a medical device.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I was that mom that said no phone to my 9ish year old when freinds started having them. They have a phone because they are home after school without parents or they live in 2 houses! I know where you are and who you are with and if your going somewhere!

But almost 2 years ago I now had 2 kiddos with T1D and my youngest was atypical as we caught it super early. So we started to Nightscout with the G4 and Moto g cell phones on Ting or Consumer cellular. We more recently moved to an iPhone 5c for both on Consumer cellular.

These are not a personal cell phone, they are a medical device. They live in their diabetes back packs, yes I have texted my oldest (11 years old now) but only when I felt I needed to because it was a odd time that jo one else might be checking in on her for a bit.

I just had a 504 meeting a day ago to add that she will be using the phone to not only uploade Dexcom readings but to be logging. But we have not started yet. She is going to middle school next year and we need to get a system in place for her to be doing more self monitoring.

8. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Thanks for all the feedback! I've never heard of the page plus network, jenm999, I will definitely be looking into that. My sister has an old iPhone 4s that she is going to give me, i just may need to replace the battery. How close does the phone need to be? Is it 20ft, same as the receiver? I realized I have to upgrade my phone to even do the following anyway since I have an iphone 4. Would have been nice if I could just give that one to her!

9. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Are you on the g5 system? We have g4 now and are wondering if we should upgrade. Can you really not share with g5 unless the cgm user has an iPhone? I thought we would still be able to share like we do now.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Are you nightscouting? They are very close to an android solution to an uploading app but it is not released yet. So for G5 yes it has to be a iPhone uploaded to share. We just set up the share to nightscout bringe for g5.

11. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

All sharing - G4 or G5 requires some iDevice with bluetooth LE (so iPhone 4S or greater, and recent ipods and ipads) that is connected to the internet via wifi or cellular or both. G5 is great because the transmitter can send the BG right to the iDevice and you don't need the receiver at all. And if that device is connected to the internet, then you can share.

The receiver is just a dummy device that intercepts the signal coming from the transmitter. Even when you had G4 with share, you were not getting anything from the receiver - the iphone was reading the receiver and then sending it to the cloud for you to get remotely. We only use our receiver at night as a redundant device in case we lose internet.

12. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

I told my daughter that getting an IPhone at 7 was a perk of diabetes as was ice cream at mid night and candy before breakfast. No regrets. I love Dexcom and being able to see her data.

13. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Our kids deserve these "perks" for everything they go through every single day, most likely (in one way or another) for the rest of their lives...

14. hopefaithlove

hopefaithlove Approved members

My son just turned 5. When we upgraded to the G5 system in the fall, we got him an Ipod Touch. It was the cheapest that met the system requirements and doesn't require a monthly cell phone plan. We connect to the wifi at daycare and to our wifi at home. Most businesses have free wifi as well and we connect to those if he's out with other family and not with us to monitor. In the fall, we plan to connect to the wifi at his school. Love being able to see his numbers while he's away from us.

15. Dan

Dan Approved members

I just upgraded to the G5 after not using the G4 for over 2 years. The G4 I had did not have share so it was the first version. I also got my son an iPhone and ditched his Android. All I can say is WOW, I can't believe how much better this is to be able to follow him while at work and be able to call him direct if he needs a correction. Definitely a game changer in my book.