- advertisement -

cgm and my daughter

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by gandgsmom, Oct 19, 2012.

1. gandgsmom

gandgsmom Approved members

Hi there....thought I'd post here as well (another member told me more people would see it here than where I posted before...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my daughter is MODY and she is going in today to wear the loaner cgm that childrens has...she has to wear it for 5 days to see when insulin in required for her....she is scared to death for them to insert it....has anyone's little ones worn one of these..and are there any tips...or good thoughts or prayers are also welcome.

Laura
    type 1 (MODY) diabetic for 15 years
    Insulin pumper for 7 years
    Daughter to type 1 diabetic
    9 year old daughter finally diagnosed MODY-2

2. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

Is it for the Dexcom? If so, my toddler use it and it's virtually pain free. He did at first cry out, but now he's used to it.

I'd ask the dr if they can put some numbing cream on the insertion area. It can be a little scary for the first time.

Hope this gets you the answers you need!

Also, if it is the Dexcom, most times it takes about 24 hrs or so for it to sync up correctly and get good numbers that match up to the BG readings.

3. gandgsmom

thank you....I don't know what brand it is....guess I will find out soon. I have the minimed one and HATE it....

4. MyHandsAreFulll

MyHandsAreFulll Approved members

It is probably too late, but we use Emla cream for my daughters cgm insertions (Medtronic) and she barely feels it. It is prescription and has to be applied an hour ahead of time.

5. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I'm a huge fan of LMX4, another topical anesthetic that (a) works faster and (b) does not reqiure a prescription. In our experience, it also didn't leave red bumps on the skin like EMLA did.

Here's the product page from the manufacturer:

http://www.eloquesthealthcare.com/LMX4.html

6. gandgsmom

thank you...maybe they will have it at childrens...we are going there to get it inserted

7. gandgsmom

thank you for the information :)

8. natallia

natallia Approved members

of course, LMX4 is not available in Canada as usual...:( We get red bumps from Emla too...

9. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

We used to use Maxilene 4 which you can get in Canada for a fraction of the price of Emla. It only takes 20 minutes to work. I would recommend giving that a try. We don't use anything anymore.