- advertisement -

CGM and Insulin Pump

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by MadeleinesMom, Jul 24, 2010.

1. MadeleinesMom

MadeleinesMom Approved members

My daughter is on an insulin pump and we are considering getting a CGM. My only sticking point is that she will have to wear two catheters....which means two points of entry for possible infection. Does anyone else have or did have the same concern? What is your opinion on it?

Thank you!

2. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

It's worth it!:D We always use alcohol wipes and seal with tape any little gaps.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We've had a pump and CGM for two years and have had one infection between them. It's a non-issue for us.

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Two years for us and we have had no infections or even red looking sites. We only use alcohol and the set and sensor. Her sensor stays in two weeks and it's difficult to tell where it was a day after pulling it.

I'm careful about sterility though. I always wash my hands and clean everything well with alcohol pad. If she touches the site before I insert I clean it again.

5. SeacoastMom

SeacoastMom Approved members

My daughter just started using a CGM in April. I was concerned about finding enough real estate for two infusion sites. She also wears an OmniPod which takes quite a bit of space.

After three months of using a CGM, I don't honestly know how we lived without it. Imagine driving your car in the dark without headlights and then suddenly turning the lights on and realizing that you can see where you are going. My daughter loves her Dexcom and carries it/wears it constantly. The information it provides gives us incredible peace of mind and makes living with the big D just a little easier.

We haven't had any problem with infection. We use alcohol wipes with pain relief before inserting a new sensor and then wipe the site with an alcohol wipe when removing the sensor. We regularly get 14 days plus out of each sensor and have been amazed at the fact that upon removal, it is hard to even see where it was inserted. Compared to the OmniPod, it hardly even leaves a mark.

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We have had the pump for 9 years(two kids) and CGM since 2008. I can only think of maybe one pump site that looked like a red bump. I just put neosporin on it and it went away. Same with the CGM site, maybe once and put the same one it. So, I don't know if we had a real infection or just the skin was bothered. I also use a IV Prep wipe before insertion.

7. peruvianpasohi

peruvianpasohi Approved members

The CGSM is not a catheter. The cannula does not put any substance INTO the body. That is why the DEX and Navigator can remain in (on) much longer that in insulin infusion site, or onmipod, Many people even extend the sensor life for several times the approved 7 and 5 day "life" of the Dex and Nav.

8. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We have never had a problem and use both. When we first got cgms, I think I got 14 days out one of the sensors but the bg was a little off and it took a lot longer to heal. We now go every 7 days and he heals right up no problems.

Pump sites have never been an issue either. We maybe had one place that looked bad but only after he scratched it :rolleyes: so I put neosporin on it and it cleared right up.

I was more worried about having enough places for both things on his lean body - but we use arms for cgms all the time now.

9. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

We have used the Omnipod since Feb 07 and use d the Navigator for about 9 months and now the Dexcom for about 14 months. We have only had one infection, which was a Navigator site ---easily treated with polysporin.

Chuck

10. Ali

Ali Approved members

Almost 7 years pump, 3 years cgm, two irritated spots. I use Hibiclens to clean my sites. Wipe pump or cgm site with Hibiclens using a sterile cotton ball, let set a few minutes and wipe off with the alcohol wipe. My underderstanding is that alcohol wipes do very little in terms of sterilzation. Watch for redness (or itchiness), if you see then remove set (cgm or pump) and put new one a good distance away.:cwds: Ali

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

Pump for 3 years and Dexcom since February - not one infection.

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've been pumping for 2 years and CGMing since November '09. I've had some red sites, but nothing EVER requiring antibiotics. My CGM sites often look better than my pump sites, despite the fact that they are in for 2 or 3 times longer.