- advertisement -

CGM Alarms at Night

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tracycarr920, Apr 14, 2014.

1. tracycarr920

tracycarr920 New Member

Hi everyone. We just started on the Minimed 530g w/ Enlite CGM last month. Last night my daughter's CGM went off twice and we didn't hear it in the next room. Fortunately she woke up and came and got us. What do people use to hear pump/CGM alarms at night? Baby monitor or is there something better?

2. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

We go with baby monitor. Works great.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

The volume problem with the Medtronic pump/CGM is why we switched to Dexcom. The $3000 fix for the MySentry wasn't in our budget. The Dexcom system is $1400 (less than 1/2 the cost of MySentry), and I have a receiver that is next to me at night that has multiple volume options.

That said, I'm REALLY disappointed that Medtronic didn't increase the volume options when bringing out a new pump. Medtronic doesn't always seem to listen to the needs of their users in general.

4. skyleysmom

skyleysmom Approved members

That is one of the MANY reasons why we are sending the 530G back and are switching to the Dex.

5. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

The baby monitor didn't work for us, with it hiding under the comforter. We tried a few, and never heard it. We caved and got the MySentry. Unfortunately we really need to just have the one pump set up, and need the cgm to be integrated or not have it at all. I wish it (the pump) was louder. My son doesn't hear it when he has his headphones on when he's playing video games - and they're not that loud, I've checked!

6. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

We have a Dexcom G4 and have found that the receiver works well even outside her bedroom. We put a small table against the hallway outside her bedroom and a baby monitor transmitter on the table, along with the G4 transmitter when she goes to bed. The baby monitor receiver goes in my bedroom. Hear it all too well.....

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

At one point we bought a baby cry signaler thing from amazon, the noise would trip an alarm you attach to it. I can look up the details if you are interested but basically it was meant for the deaf and turns the sound into whatever you want, he had it attached to a bed shaker and lights flashing. For us it was meant to wake him up but you can also have it attach to a loud alarm. I think the brand was Sonic Alert.

8. tracycarr920

tracycarr920 New Member

For us the whole reason why we got the 530g is because it automatically turns off when the Enlite senses a low. Does anyone know if the Dexcom G4 will work the same way with the 530g? We've tried 2 baby alarms and can't hear the alarm with either. Very disappointing to say the least.

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

No, only the 530g will shut off of the insulin. So, your choices are whether to have alarms you can hear and respond to or to trust the 530g to appropriately shut off insulin. How old is your child? That seems to play a large part in people's decisions. I would love the low-glucose-suspend for college years and beyond for my daughter, but we've heard less than positive reviews from friends who have trialed it, so I don't see it happening here. My daughter wore the Medtornic CGM with sof-sensors for a year, and she has zero interest in returning to the Medtronic CGM with its lost sensor alarms, picky calibrations, no readings if not calibrated promptly, too quiet of alarms at night...

10. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Even if the insulin turns off, that is no guarantee that BG won't reach unsafe low levels. We've had countless nights when insulin is off for hours yet BG won't come up without carbs. Insulin cutoff is a great feature but not a substitute for round-the-clock monitoring and use of carbs to bring BG back into range.

Here are some CGM alarm solutions that have worked for us over the years:

When we used the Minimed, we suspended it from a string about 2 feet over the bed. This picked up the sensor signal and we didn't have to worry about it being inaudible due to her rolling over onto it. Then to hear it we used a Philips digital monitor which has a safety feature that it beeps if the transmitter signal is lost.

We switched to the Dexcom a few years ago. The range is 20 feet which isn't enough to reach our bedroom, but we place it in the hallway on a hard surface, without the protective case. It rattles loudly when there is an alarm, which we can hear. Set it to "Hypo Repeat" which buzzes and beeps every 10 seconds if BG drops under 55 until the alarm is cleared.

11. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

We use MySentry and it works very well. (Yes, it works with the 530 G.) MySentry's alarms are loud, and you can see the current (Lag time 7 minutes) reading from the pump on the screen and you can also see the cgm line on an alternative screen (-- complete with arrows) that you toggle to.

It shows how old the sensor is and how much insulin is in the reservoir.

IMO it is well worth seeking insurance coverage on this device.

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I use a Guardian receiver as monitor for our 530G . I just have to calibrate each time we do the 530g , that is only about twice a day. Maybe three times. I have the Contour Next meter send the BG to the 530g and the Guardian receiver. Works great. Only thing at end of day 3 on sensor I have to do a start new sensor on Guardian only .It starts right back up. Of course this is using a Guardian off label but cheaper than a My Sentry

13. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Agreed. IME the company is not responsive to customer needs and requests in the design process. The Revel is not louder and the 530G, well I don't think it is either, but I haven't done a back to back comparison.

This is a shame. Not sure who is Beta testing these devices, but it would behoove the company to really LISTEN to what its customers need as they are designing and redesigning the actual device, not come up with an add on.

That said -- it is currently the only pump with LGS. And only integrated pump. These are important features for us. So it is what we have.

14. bradclark

bradclark Approved members

We've had the MySentry since it came out and have a love/hate relationship with it. With that said, I can't imagine not having it. Knowing that we'll ALWAYS hear the alarms and can view the graph and other statistics at just a glance during the night is definitely worth our out of pocket expenses for the device!