- advertisement -

CF for white basmati rice?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by suz, Apr 25, 2011.

1. suz

suz Approved members

Does anyone have a carb factor for cooked, white basmati rice? I can never find an accurate one and never know if the measurements are for cooked, or raw....... ugh!

Thanks in advance.....

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Rice is one of the few foods I measure instead of weigh. For us, we use 50 grams a cup (cooked!) and we use white basmati.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  4. Susanne

Susanne Approved members

We just ate a dinner with white basmati rice. We use a carb factor of 0.245 for it (2 cups of white Indian basmati cooked with 4 cups of water and 1 tsp of salt).
    We had originally weighed the dry rice, cooked it and then came up with this carb factor. Different brands seem to turn out differently so I would suggest to do the "works" for a certain brand and stick to it.
    Also, we need to wash the basmati thoroughly (about 6 times)-otherwise the starch will throw the cf off.

5. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

We count 22 carbs for 1/2 of cooked, white, Basmati rice. It's worked well for us.

As usual, YDMV ;)!

ETA: I saw that someone mentioned rinsing the rice thoroughly. We do this too, then cook according to package directions - 1 cup rice, rinsed, to 1.5 cups water with a dash of salt. We also add a bit of butter while cooking. We get the Basmati rice that Sam's Club sells; 'Nature's Delite Premium Basmati Rice' from India.