- advertisement -

Cereal - how would you do this differently

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mandapanda1980, Dec 27, 2011.

1. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

Milk I would agree with - I wouldn't think grapes or any other fast sugar would be beneficial as it would likely raise sugar quicker.

I still vote for a different I:C, increasing the amount of bolus up front without any additional carbs and leaving basal alone.

If that results in her going a little low later you can give her a little something. Then next time you can add the milk or something with a little fat, or then maybe a temp basal.

I would not add any more carbs to the mix until the numbers are lower. IMHO you want to see the effect of the cereal, not cereal plus other stuff.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I am not sure if any has recommended this -- my son doesn't have spikes like this after a cereal breakfast. He is on Apidra insulin. You might consider changing to this insulin.

3. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

My daughter only uses soy milk on her cereal now. I read about it a couple of years ago and tried it to help prevent the spikes. For her, it seemed that the spikes were more from the skim milk than the cereal. Worth a try, I have seen others report that it helps them as well.

4. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Interesting. My dd only drinks soy milk too. I need to check this theory out. She has been spiking after cereal however our I:c was off so need to check this out again next time she has cereal.

5. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

Upon waking, I correct whatever needs correcting but I also bolus him for 40g (a typical breakfast is 80-ish g). While he's getting dressed I weigh his Honey Nut Cheerios, milk and OJ and bolus the rest when he sits down for breakfast. He still spikes about 60-80 above our starting number, but it is significantly improved. If we don't do this, he will start at 120 and still be 120 pre-lunch, BUT Dex shows us >400 spike one hour after ingestion. If we correct that high he will go LOW LOW LOW... so all we can do is watch it. I'm hoping that Apidra (starting on Thurs) will assist with this.:cool:

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

How far out was the 69 from the original bolus? We solved our cereal spike (as much as we can) by using apidra and doing a really early prebolus so the insulin is definitely kicked in so the cereal and insulin are working at the same time.