- advertisement -

Cell phone in 504

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KitKat, Aug 25, 2008.

1. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

How many include cell phones in your 504/IEP plans? Why did you include it? Does this practice work at school? Any concerns using a cell phone at school? Problems?

2. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We have a cellphone in our 504 for my 12 year old in Jr. High. The school does not have a school nurse or any staff trained to treat diabetes (there are 9 D children attending). DD also has a smart phone and has a CalorieKing database loaded on it. She looks up carbs if there are surprises like Ice cream parties or snacks at school.

She is new to D (Mar. 2008) and still learning. We did "train" all of her teachers and gave them emergency kits. She has still called me a couple of times with a low because she is shy about talking with her teachers. I have talked her through treating and retesting and got her back on her way. She has texted me in class "I think I'm low" and I've had to tell her to get up and tell her teacher. She said "I'll just wait until class is over. It's only 5 minutes". I said "Test at your desk text me your number. Eat something. Let me know when you are ok." She has also called to say they didn't serve the lunch she bolused for and how should she substitute what they served. Things like that. I know it isn't perfect. But she is a really smart kid and responsible. It works for us.

I am a little paranoid about keeping my cellphone with me but it gives me the assurance I need that she's doing ok. If she wasn't she would call me. I tell myself that all day long. It also gives her the confidence to take care of herself.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I don't have the cell phone in the 504 because here that's a sure way to draw attention to the cell phone. If I have to, I'll put it in. Meanwhile, he uses it on the sly!

4. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

DEanna takes her cell to school every day but its not part of her 504...usually the teacher or office will call me if there is a problem I want her to have it mostly so she can get a hold of me or 911 if a real emergency were to occure, say like just after school and something happened and she didnt meet her sister at the car. or she was in the bathroom and suddenly felt low..things like that..I know im totaly mental:rolleyes:

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Cell phones are not allowed at Maddie's school ( Grds 3-5) which means that only 1/2 the kids have them:rolleyes:

Maddie got hers last spring. I just told the principal (he has a D kid) and the teacher that she would be adding it to her D bag. Offered to put the "request" in writing, was told it was not necessary. Will include it on my Sub sheet though, thanks;)

6. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I have a cell phone in my IHP

7. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I don't have one in my 504, but if I go down to the nurse, she'll let me use it there. :)

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Yes, Seth uses the school phone to call me at lunch. But, it's in his 504 that they are not allowed to take it away from him, if he gets caught playing with it they are to notify me, not take it away. Just in case..:cwds: He has never abused having it.

9. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

This is what I thought too, so I didn't even bring it up. Plus I didn't want to give them yet another reason to deny more important things in the 504....not that that philosophy is working out.....:(

10. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

We don't have it in our 504, though I may add it now. I didn't even think about it. My daughter mainly has the cell phone because she has an hour long bus ride to and from school. The nurse actually put her number in it for when my daughter's class has little excursions outside of school (not field trips).

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

My non-D son is starting 6th grade and he has a cell phone. He has no reason to use it during the day so it is turned off and kept in his pocket.

I think it is an excellent idea. I would like to hear more about how you child with diabetes uses it. I can't imagine whipping it out in the middle of class and start talking (if they test in the classroom) would work. Would they ask to go in the hallway or ???.

12. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

I was thinking more about texting me his numbers or if he had a concern. Teaching in a school, I know a school nurse is not always in her office nor is she easy to locate. I want DS to have options.

Also, I am asking for them to show me their emergency plan in case the need arises for glucagon. It is a large campus and I don't want him seizing for 10 minutes while they try to locate her or decide what to do!

13. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

Yes: in Deirdre's IEP. She'll text me with her numbers before lunch: I know what she's having for lunch, and we've already gone over what she'll eat and what she wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. I'll text her back with the amount of insulin to inject. She'll call me if she doesn't get an answer to her text message.

14. AmberO

AmberO Approved members

We don't have it in the 504 but I have a verbal understanding with the teacher about Nikki calling if the teacher needs a 2nd opinion (especially when there is bake sales!)

The teacher has also called using Nikki's phone from class, easier then running to the staff room to call either of us.

15. cadesmom

cadesmom Approved members

We are on our second year of using a cell phone, my son is in the 1st grade, we had to get him one due to ignorant nurse, he alway's has it with him, unless he start's spending alot of time in the bathroom, he like's to set on the toliet and change the wall paper, text, or call to ask me if a friend can come over:D, when he start's doing this, I ask the teacher to keep it on her desk, until she or feel he is ready to have it back. This is all in his 504, and due to the unusual circumstances of have no nurse the principal is 100% for it. work's well for us, but I don't recommened getting cell phone's at such a young age.

16. Claire64

Claire64 Approved members

My son doesn't have a 504, but we have an understanding with the school that he is allowed to carry and use his cell phone at all times. He calls me every day at lunch, because we never know what he's having for lunch. He also texts me whenever his numbers are a little off, or calls when he doesn't know what to do.

17. mckynziesmom

mckynziesmom Approved members

We do have a cell phone. Works great with our school ( we go to the same school as Cadesmom) but the school district isn't to happy with it. We have it to be in constant contact with the parent for any diabetes/pump questions or situations. She text me with lows and highs also. I personally think this is less of a disturbance than getting up and using the class room phone to call and your there talking. When my daughter did that I could never hear her b/c she was trying to be quite so everyone wasn't hearing.

18. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

I thought about using the glucophone so I can know what Jessi's # are at anytime when she checks, but phone service in the school building is horrible so I am not sure it would work

19. abrayome

abrayome Approved members

We don't have a 504 (private school), but we started using a cell phone this year at her new school. They have a nurse but no experience with children with diabetes. So she has been texting me her numbers and boluses and it's working great.

She's 10 and is able to do it discreetly, and she's under strict instructions to never use the phone for anything else, other than to call me if an emergency and the school cannot reach me.

I worry that it's another task for her to do, but she's pretty fast. I've programmed "preset messages" where she needs to just type in the numbers, the text is already there.

I don't think I would be comfortable with her actually talking on the phone (too disruptive) so texting works great for us. Her ringer is set to vibrate.

20. hurrayupmom

hurrayupmom Approved members

Then I am also mental:rolleyes: We just had this conversation on the way to bus this morning. Tori has her phone, kids had taken away yesterday. I told her hers if for emegency use. Not for fun. But when something happens like last year when she was evacuated because of bomb threat, she could call me and let me know. I work at school, so as of now we do not have a 504 plan, but I am [planning on getting one in place. and it will include the use of cell phone.