- advertisement -

Celiac...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by RylensMommy, Jul 24, 2011.

1. RylensMommy

RylensMommy Approved members

I've noticed many people saying "dx-celiac..." I've been looking it up to get a better understanding of it.
    My question is, with being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, are you at greater risk of having it? What kind of complications does it add to the mix?
    Thank you.
    I'm new to this world and want to understand every last bit of it so I really have appreciated all of the answers and way people have reached out to comfort.
    Thank you, again!

2. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

There is a celiac section on this website which may give you some answers. My DD was tested at Dx and one year ann. but I am not sure if they keep testing every year or not. It is also auto-immune so that is the connection, I think.

BTW, welcome to the board.:cwds:

3. Paula+four

Paula+four Approved members

I'm sure someone will post stats for you but I know our endo checks her patients annually for thyroid and celiac diseases.

My son's celiac testing came back positive at Type 1 diagnosis, then again six months later when he was retested. He then had a confirmation endoscopy because he had no external symptoms of celiac. Once he was diagnosed the whole side of my husband's family was tested and one of our daughters was positive too. Her only symptom was really slow growing hair. We have to retest our other daughter every two years. My husband tested negative but all his symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome cleared up when he went gluten free.

I wouldn't worry about celiac though. You can ask your endo to be sure they are checking but I'm sure they do. If your child or anyone else in your family tests positive at some point you will learn to adjust your meals and it will be fine. For us, it is easier than diabetes. Hopefully though, you'll be one of the many who will never have to worry about it.

4. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

In the "normal" population, Celiac appears in 1 out of 133 people in the US.
    In the T1D population, Celiac appears in 1 out of 10 people.

People with one autoimmune disease are more likely to develop other AI issues. (I have three, my son has two.)

Most endo teams will run a "Celiac panel" with yearly bloodwork. If your child has numbers that indicate Celiac, you will probably be referred to a GI doctor to follow up. In our case, that meant more specific bloodwork and an endoscopy to confirm. (At the time of his dx, the endoscopy was the gold standard for dx -- it is now debateable whether that still holds true.)

In terms of how Celiac affects dealing with T1D, many undiagnosed Celiacs don't absorb their carbs because the gut is so damaged. Once they go gluten-free and the gut heals, they return to levels of absorption that are more like the non-Celiac -- meaning your Insulin:Carb ratio will most likely change radically and then even out after a few weeks, becoming more predictible.

In my son's case, we would likely never have known about the Celiac if he hadn't had the bloodwork for T1D done because he was totally asymptomatic, as was I. Now that we're both GF for going on two years, we both can't believe we didn't know how sick we were. There's no "brain fog" now, no headaches, more energy, better overall health and less illnesses.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  5. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

Celiac is just one more thing to deal with... if your child is not showing any symptoms for the time being, please don't stress out about it for now... (i did...and wasted alot of my time worrying about it). If he has celiac antibodies, it will show up in a blood test.. only worry about what you have to for now:)

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Children who are diagnosed with diabetes at young ages are at a fairly high risk of developing celiac disease (although still most kids with diabetes don't have celiac), but your doctor should screen for it and there's no point in worrying about it ahead of time. It is not caused by diabetes- it's just that some of the risk factors are the same.

Siblings of kids with diabetes are also at risk for celiac, and if they have symptoms- such as not growing well, lots of stomach aches, etc- it is worth mentioning to their doctors too.