- advertisement -

Celiac symptoms?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cm4kelly, Dec 15, 2011.

1. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My 4 1/2 year old seems to be having a smaller appetite lately. But now we are having strange accidents with bowel movements and gas - several at school last week.

he has never had these problems before and I was considering if he needed to go to the doctor for some stomach problems.

What does Celiac do? Anything to do with this?

2. Paula+four

Paula+four Approved members

Kelly, you might want to also post this in the celiac forum on this site. They really helped me and my family. I will say the symptoms for celiac can range from none to many and they can be different for each person. My son had no symptoms while my daughter had a lot of gas and her hair barely grew. My husband had really violent stomach problems but he's non-celiac gluten intolerant. The first step is a blood test so I'd encourage you to talk to your doctors. Oh, and don't go off gluten before the test otherwise it may be inaccurate. I wish you the best!

3. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Celiac symptoms can vary, and testing is a good idea if you suspect an issue.

Both of my children have Celiac, one had every symptom under the sun (constipation/diarrhea, gas, severe stomach pain, etc) and the other had zero symptoms, and we would never have had him tested if the endo hadn't suggested it.

4. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

I would test for celiac. My children and myself are celiac. My ds was symptomatic and my dd and I had not one symptom. We were just all tested because it was recommended since its hereditary. Have a doctor run the bloodwork and take it from there.

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

My friend described her DD's bowel movements as "explosive diarrhea" and she was DXed celiac soon after. As was said...symptoms vary. It could be just a stomach virus. Or it could be something worse. It never hurts to ask a doctor, especially if that's what your gut (no pun intended ;)) is telling you to do.

6. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

My son and I were both asymptomatic, but he tested off the charts for Celiac at dx. A retest 3 months later (as suggested by doctor) showed the same results.

Now that we're both GF, we KNOW when we consume gluten by mistake -- horrible symptoms!

Since he wasn't feeling symptoms, our doctors wanted us to get a handle on treating T1D before we threw Celiac into the mix. By the time we got the formal dx for Celiac, I was much more relaxed and calm and could face what I needed to do to keep him totally GF. It gave me time to read, find recipes that worked, products he liked and our "new normal."

After going GF, we did see a shift in his carb absorption and were able to adjust. Again, I was much better equipped (emotionally and mentally) to adjust dosages and carb ratios at that point because I was comfy with the whole T1D process at the time we went GF.

And I know that many people feel that going GF is awful and wretched, but I've not found that to be the case. There was a definite learning curve, but it wasn't awful. We just moved to foods that were naturally GF and found the few packaged things that we liked. We never were much for dining out, but we sucessfully did a 16-day road trip out West and didn't have a single cross-contamination problem. When he goes to visit friends, we send along food.

Good luck!!