- advertisement -

??Celiac symptoms/signs

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by mamamccoy87, Jan 5, 2011.

1. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Just curious as to how you found out your child/you had celiac. Any symptoms or found through routine testing?

My dd has been having stomach issues lately - gassy, stomach pain, her sugars are going wacko. She was tested 2 yrs ago at dx and was negative. Is having blood work for A1C this week so I requested she be retested since I think the recommendation is every year.

thanks in advance :)

2. Pepper1

Pepper1 Approved members

HI

My daughter is Cel, and then got type 1 two years later, this year actually, 14 years old, she constantly complained of sore stomachs, headaches, didn't eat much, or when she did eat something with wheat in it, she would feel really ill, and the school would ring me, it took ages for the GP's to pick up it was that, everyone thought it was in her mind or mine, but she lost weight and was very pale, or her lips would go bright red, like she an allergy, finally a blood test revealed an intolerance to gluten, and then we had the bomb shell of type 1.

Good luck, but it is hell for the kids until they are dx'd with it, they feel terrible.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I know lots of kids dx'd with celiac through a blood test and then biopsy. There were no symptoms prior to the testing.

4. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

My son and I were both asymptomatic. They picked up his Celiac with routing testing at the T1D dx -- retesting followed and then the dx was confirmed by biopsy later. (I went GF as a solidarity move and found out I was Celiac by having a reaction after cross contamination -- followed up by bloodwork that confirmed it.)

In our case, we both felt fine. It was AFTER we went GF that we realized we felt so much better. My thinking got clearer, my energy level soared, my "zest for life" returned...

Now, if we get glutenized, we get all sorts of nasty intestinal issues and headaches.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

my daughter really didn't have any symptoms, no belly aches.. was dx through annual blood work and a biopsy. My oldest constantly complaned of belly aches, ran to the potty a LOt, stopped eating dinner they got so bad.. we thought for SURE she had celiac.. turns out it was lactose intolerance.. it was amazing how much better she felt when she cut out dairy and started to use lactaid!

6. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

My ds was diagnosed a little after the age 2. He wasn't able to tell me his belly hurt but he threw the craziest tantrums and cried ALL the time! The doctors kept telling me it was terrible two's and he was probably acting out because of his type 1 dx. I insisted on celiac blood work and sure enough that's what it was. After his dx the rest of the family was tested after blood work and endoscopy my dd and I were also celiac. My ds had all the symptoms and dd and I had none. Celiac symptoms range from excruciating pain to nothing at all so I would have her retested to be on the safe side. Good Luck!

7. manda81

manda81 Approved members

My youngest son had classic symptoms (the biggest being severe stomach pain after eating and continuous constipation/diarreah) and issues with his BG numbers.

My oldest had zero physical symptoms, but fell off the growth chart. With the youngest being DX, we had a blood test ran on my oldest, and his numbers were through the roof.

8. MyThreeBoys

MyThreeBoys Approved members

My son did not have any sypmtoms. I requested the celiac testing 2 months after his diabetes diagnosis. It was positive and we confirmed with the endoscopy a few months later.

My niece was diagnosed about 2 years ago. She had the skin condition DH for about 18 months which had been undiagnosed (not for lack of trying). She had no stomach symptoms.

Good luck.

9. mamamccoy87

Thanks for the info. Grace has had crazy numbers, ESP after eating foods with gluten, also headaches stomach aches, moody :(. Had blood drawn saturday now we just wait:cwds:

10. mamamccoy87

Still waiting for test results about whether Grace has celiac or not :cwds:

And still having crazy numbers after eating foods with gluten but also trying to rule out bad carb counts.

Those of you who have celiac, what kind of effect did it have on your blood sugars? Thanks :D

11. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

For many T1Ds with Celiac, the damage to the gut means that carbs aren't absorbed well before diagnosis/going GF-- or even consistently from meal to meal.

We found with my son that we needed to adjust his I:C ratios a bit until his gut healed. They were steadily changing anyway, due to the tapering off of his honeymoon, but it was marked with the start of going GF.

Now we find that he doesn't bounce around a whole lot unless he's having a growth spurt. (YDMV)

12. mamamccoy87

Well celiac testing came back negative - part of me is happy the other part is like that makes it harder to figure out what is going on. Diabetes stinks:mad:

13. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

T had no symptoms, really. We found out about Celiac after routine testing at the endos. Then we did the scope for "confirmation". When she started on her gluten free diet, we noticed three things within about 3-4 months:

1) Her insulin needs rose significantly--I suspect her body was not absorbing food as it should due to Celiac.

2) She grew! About 2 inches taller and gained about 5 lbs in 3 months.

3) Her mood changed a bit...she seemed more content, happier on a consistent basis. Now she was 2 (almost 3) when dxd with Celiac so prior to going gluten free, we just figured she was going through the "terrible twos". I really think it was the gluten!