- advertisement -

celiac Q

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by fredntan2, Sep 26, 2010.

1. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

my friend at work her baby was just dx with all kind of allergies. he's about 4 months old, had lots of skin problems

and they did allergy testing

and he is allergic to wheat, eggs, peanuts, milk and a couple of other things.

If you are allergic to wheat does that make you celiac?
    and how do they dx celiac? isn't it through a colonoscopy?

she's breast feeding and is modifying her diet with much improvement

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

No, a wheat allergy is completely different than Celiac. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease. The body attacks the villi in the small intestines, killing them off (a lot like T1, but its the small intestine that is effected, not the pancreas.). Celiac disease is diagnosed through a series of blood tests and an endoscopy (goes in through the mouth).

3. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

Just to add to that...if you have a wheat allergy, you're allergic to the actual wheat protein. While they both result in you eating an essentially gluten-free diet (well, with celiac you avoid wheat, barley, rye, and sometimes oats), the mechanism and symptoms are different. With a food allergy you have the risk of anaphylaxis which is an immediate, life-threatening reaction. My daughter's allergic to milk, egg, wheat, barley, peanuts, and tree nuts. She does not have celiac disease and we don't test her for it because she's eats a gluten free diet and you have to have been eating gluten to test positive for it. If she happens to outgrow her wheat and barley allergies, she is at high risk for developing celiac because she is a girl diagnosed with T1 at age 2 1/2.

Good luck to your friend! There's quite a learning curve, but they'll get the hang of it before too long.
    Kelly

Emily 8--T1 diabetes, food allergies
    Kaitlyn 4

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I had a ridiculous amount of food allergies/intolerances as a kid. I don't have celiac as far as I know...I eat most everything now,. Maybe that's why I'm always tired and I have a bad memory?:(