- advertisement -

Celiac confirmed

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by sincity2003, May 9, 2014.

1. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

So Wednesday we met with the doctor and DS' pathology confirmed he has Celiac. DH is angry, DS alternates between angry and sad and then okay with it. Last night it took me an hour to convince him to eat, but he did finally eat. There are so many choices out there, and we are going this weekend to check out Aldi's offerings as well. We are working towards making the entire house gluten free, however my 17 year old stepson is still here for another 20 or so days and I don't think it's fair to force him to go gluten free, so we will continue to have some gluten containing foods in the house until he moves out at the end of the month.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my first thread when it was just a possibility. We have answers, but I'm not sure they were the answers we wanted :(

2. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

I'm so sorry to hear that! Best of luck to you and your son. My child is so much younger, that I think our transition was maybe a little easier; we didn't deal with a lot of complex psychology. Maybe try indulging him with any GF foods he happens to like for a few days?

This may be small comfort at the moment, but I was really surprised by how quickly my (non-celiac) taste buds adapted to most GF substitutes, even the bagels and pasta. The only thing I'm still struggling with adjusting to is GF pizza and sandwich bread.

3. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

My 10-year-old was diagnosed with Celiac's only 2-3 months after our T1D diagnose. We were definitely bummed at first, but we have found the transition fairly smooth. We spent a whole day de-gluten our kitchen, and have become a 90% gluten-free household. Everything I cook for the family is gluten free, but we have a sealed container for my husband and 13-year-old to keep their glutened favorites. I make it their job to keep their gluten foods to themselves, and keep the space clean and free of gluten.

I went a bit crazy shopping for gluten free snacks at first. Almost filled our whole pantry with GF foods. I wanted to help my 10-year-old find new GF favorites, and we DID!! There are lots of great and tasty GF snacks. I like to eat them too.

Of course, lots of great tasting food are naturally gluten free, like fruit and ice cream.

We continue to eat out on our weekends, and found many restaurants offer GF menus. We live in the Bay Area of CA, and have found eating out very easy.

When we go out of town, I like to use this website to find GF friendly restaurants, and they have reviews from people who are on GF diets: http://www.findmeglutenfree.com/

If you are looking to travel, this website might be helpful to you as well, you can download GF restaurant cards in foreign languages: http://www.celiactravel.com/

My family has adapted very well to eating GF.

By the way, Snowflake, we love the GF pizza from Pizza My Heart. I actually like it much better than their regular dough. We now order from Pizza My Heart once a week.

I am having trouble with GF spaghetti though. I have attempted many times, and they tend to break into pieces...

4. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Have you tried Tinkyada or Schar? Those seem to be favorites among GF practicioners.