- advertisement -

celiac and bloodsugars

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sweetkid4, Mar 9, 2013.

1. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

:confused:does anyone know if un-dx'd celiac, or if dx'd but has not made the GF switch yet, have an effect on bgs???

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Absolutely. As I recall our endo said they usually see lows as a result of celiac but sometimes highs. It can go either way.

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

LOL ... I guess that covers it. :D

4. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

I noticed a lot more consistency with bg numbers after the gf switch. Endo confirmed that a healed gut is more consistent with absorption of nutrients.

5. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

That was our experience, too. He had a lot of unexplained lows pre-dx. Within two weeks of going GF and after some basal adjustments, we got much more consistent results from how we dosed. Basically, the healed gut absorbed the carbs in an "expected" way.

6. sweetkid4

I suspected that it did....thanks everyone!!!!!!!!:cwds:

7. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

What are the symptoms of celiac with diabetes?

Recently struggling with chronic low blood sugars and stomach bloating or uncomfortable feeling. The celiac test was negative at last dr apt.

I am restricting gluten for a few days to see if it improves.

There are many options for GF at grocery store.

8. sweetkid4

I am new to the celiac world, and dont have much info to share. We are awaiting biopsy to confirm ( antibodies were positive).....our GI told us that celiac symptoms have a WIDE spectrum and what one child may experience another may not. We have been dealing with similar issues that you are. But it seems to happen in cycles...hoping we have a false positive).

I am sure some others who have more experience with T1 and celiac will chime in and give great info:cwds:

9. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

For us (and it can be very different person-to-person), we have intestinal cramps, bloating, floating stools, headaches, muscle aches, and a "brain fog," where you just don't feel like you're thinking clearly.

In terms of his T1D, my son had lots of unexplained lows before we had the celiac dx. After going GF, his insulin needs went up and we had to make basal changes, but the unexplained lows went almost totally away. It was explained to me that the damaged gut absorbed the carbs in an irregular fashion, and the insulin given might have exceeded what the gut absorbed.

It may take up to two weeks of strict GF eating before you'll see improvement. It takes that long for the gut to fully heal.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Definitely..in fact it's the only way I can tell if she's been gluten iced, crazy blood sugars... Before dx it was all crazy lows, long, crazy out of the blue lows. The lows come from giving insulin and then the body not being able to absorb the food you just blouses for.