- advertisement -

CDC recommendations for H1N1 and students with Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KitKat, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

I was informed that there is a confirmed case of H1N1 on Wed. of this week by the school nurse who was calling to check on Sean since I had kept him home from school due to a cold.
    He has not been back this week, but was hoping he could return next week after the holiday.

How long is the CDC suggesting to keep a child home once a case in school is confirmed? Anyone know?

P.S. We haven't been to the mall, or eaten out. I even sent DH to the grocery store so we wouldn't be out and about with our colds, not that we've felt like doing anything anyway. ;)

2. Kaylesdad

Kaylesdad Approved members

Resuming classes after a dismissal
    The length of time students should be dismissed from school will vary depending on the type of school dismissal as well as the severity and extent of illness. When the decision is made to dismiss students, CDC recommends doing so for 5 to 7 calendar days. Reactive school dismissals are likely to be of shorter duration than selective or preemptive dismissals. Because the goals of selective dismissals (to protect students and staff at high risk of severe illness or death) and preemptive dismissals (to decrease the spread of influenza virus) are usually different from those of reactive dismissals, the length of time schools are dismissed might be longer.

On a regular basis (for example, weekly) communities that have dismissed students from school should reassess the epidemiology of the disease, the benefits of keeping students home, and the societal repercussions of doing so. Based on this reassessment, communities may decide either to extend the school dismissal or to reopen schools. In the event that CDC recommends preemptive school dismissals, this recommendation also might include a modification to the suggested length of dismissal, based on the severity observed across the nation and globally. Therefore, schools and school boards should plan for more prolonged periods of school dismissal. If schools attempt to continue educational services to all students during a lengthy school dismissal, students with disabilities should receive comparable access to education.

The authority for decision-making regarding school dismissal may reside in multiple sectors of state and local government; these entities must work in a coordinated manner. National, regional, or local data, and the decision-making guidance included in this document, may be useful for determining whether to dismiss schools.

3. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Thank you for posting this - I just had a meeting on Thursday and I was able to email them about including something in it before I have to sign it.

I so appreciate the information.

4. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

Thanks for the post. I just e-mailed the school and the nurse and spoke with our school nurse. She has already spoke with the principal and my daughters teacher telling them to get things ready. She just told me three are suspected of having the H1N1 and one has come back positive but has not been confirmed by the CDC. She will contact me if any end up in the hallway that my daughter is in and if there are anymore cases she will contact me. It looks like I may have to keep my daughter home soon. Now the question, what do I do about her older sister at the same school. My husband said she needs to come home as well if more cases are confirmed. I just hate to do this to them.

5. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I am totally on the bandwagon with keeping the kiddos home, but I just don't know at what point to do that, and for how long. There were more than a handful of students going to the nurse the other day with tummy problems (know this because I happened to be in there), but who is to say it is the flu or swine flu? Around here, I am not so sure many of the kids that end up sick actually go to the doctor, so getting a flu dx can not be relied upon.

I was thinking about this the other day with all the sick kids - are any of them contagious? What if they do have the flu, it goes undiagnosed, then it just keeps spreading? It might be too late! What if it is ME that thinks there is undiagnosed flu going around (like all the sick kids in the office), and I don't want my child staying at school? How long would I keep him home? Until there are no more kids turning up in the nurse's office?

As it is, Brandon has been going to the nurse's office 7 times a day! Lord knows, if there is something going on in that tiny office, he is going to be SUPER exposed!

I just would really like to bring this up to the school, don't mind including it in the 504, but they are real sticklers for wanting to know exactly what I am asking for, and if I can't provide hard timelines, it will be a no go. I'm sure if there is a confirmed swine flu incident it would be one thing, but like I said, I'm more than confident in thinking that most of these sick kids will not be seeing a doctor unless the ER is needed.

6. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

;)After reading this thread and posting my question, I called the school nurse who informed me there has been another case. I talked about the recommendations for staying home, she said to contact his drs. about it.
    So I called into the endo and left a message, and no return call so far. Called the pediatrician and they had me take him in to be seen to make sure it's not what he has now.
    According to the pediatrician, he has a cold and nothing more. He said since it's in the school it will probably be going around for several weeks there. His only suggestion is to let him have the regular flu shot as soon as he is fever free for a few days, that although it's not for the H1N1 strain that is so dangerous right now it does seem to lessen the severity if they do catch it.
    Not much info or comfort but it's all we got, along with a co-pay bill. lol

7. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

I've been working out an agreement with Connor's school and the county on how to handle H1N1. So far, so good. Hopefully, the plan will never need to be used - but it's nice to be prepared. The specific wording for an addendum to an existing 504 Plan is very helpful.

8. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

My school accepted the addendum to my son's 504 and I had another parent's 504 meeting north of me and had no problem either. Good luck to everyone.

9. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Spoke with the County nurse today, gave her a printout of both the ADA wording and the CDC info. She will support the addendum to the 504; I plan to be in the school all day on Tuesday anyway, so will be dropping by the 504 coordinator's office (happens to be Tom's counselor). i was planning to ask for a meeting with the new teachers anyway, so two birds with one stone.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Is this posted on the ADA website. I need something official looking to appease the gods:eek:

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

From the CDC link in Kathy's original post...

Permit high-risk students and staff to stay home

If influenza severity increases, students and staff at high risk for influenza complications may consider staying home from school while influenza transmission is high in their community if they, or their families, are concerned about their ability to avoid influenza at school. The decision about whether to stay home should be made in consultation with their health care provider. People who elect to stay home from school should also attempt to decrease their exposure in other ways for example, by avoiding large public gatherings. Well students should be expected to continue their education while at home as much as possible.

Schools should prepare for discussions with parents about school safety and should consult with school boards and legal counsel about policy accommodations that might be necessary to allow students and staff at high risk for influenza complications to stay home. Local and state laws and policies also might need to be reviewed for applicability. Policies to be reviewed may be official or unofficial, such as school principals? awards for students with perfect attendance. Schools should plan now for ways to continue educating students who stay home through methods such as instructional telephone calls, homework packets, internet-based lessons, and other distance-based learning approaches.

12. selketine

selketine Approved members

What was sent out by the ADA is not on their website yet that I can find. Most of the info in the ADA email is on the CDC website but the specific information they suggested to include in the 504 is from the ADA - and that is what I assume you are looking for on the ADA site.

I would use the CDC links for the parts of the email that were taken from CDC documents and for the 504 language I'd just say this is suggested by the ADA. If they challenge that - let us know.

13. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

I am on the Safe at School committee and on the national advocacy committee for the ADA. I think this will be out soon but several of us got it sooner than later. The writing is sugested by the ADA legal advocacy team.

14. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

How does one get on the ADA email list??? Thanks!

15. selketine

selketine Approved members

The email I got from the ADA is from being a volunteer school advocate with them. If you volunteer with your local ADA as a school advocate then they add you to a mailing list. Perhaps other ADA mailing lists got this particular email but this is how I came to get it.

Most items like this eventually get posted on the ADA website shortly.

You could contact your local ADA and tell them you want to volunteer as a school advocate. I'm sure they would love to have you on board.:)

16. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Thanks Carol, I will do that....I should anyhow! :)

17. sariana

sariana Approved members

Mine is too young to go to school, but I have 2 older kids in 2 separate schools. I know that if any of them have it in there schools, they will be bringing it home to share :(

We are also contemplating the vaccine... since it is so new, no one knows any complications or side effects...