- advertisement -

CDC recommendations for H1N1 and students with Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KitKat, Sep 4, 2009.

1. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

This was sent to me via the ADA......

The Centers for Disease Control recently released guidelines statingm that it is projecting that a large proportion of school children willbecome infected with some version of H1N1 sometime in the next year, andthat children with chronic illnesses such as diabetes are especially atrisk for complications. Specifically, the CDC is recommending thatstudents with diabetes stay home if H1N1 is circulating at their school.In preparation for the anticipated outbreak of H1N1 in schools thisfall/winter and in response to the recommendations included in theCenter for Disease Control's Technical Report on this issue, ADA's LegalAdvocacy division has developed language for inclusion in the student'sSection 504 Plan, IEP, or other written accommodation plan to ensurethat the student will not be penalized for absences if theparent/guardian and student's health care provider determine the need for keeping the student home from school due to an outbreak.

CDC's statement (http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/schools/technicalreport.htm#distance)provides as follows:

"Schools should prepare for discussions with parents about school safetyand should consult with school boards and legal counsel about policyaccommodations that might be necessary to allow students and staff athigh risk for influenza complications to stay home. Local and state lawsand policies also might need to be reviewed for applicability. Policiesto be reviewed may be official or unofficial, such as school principalsawards for students with perfect attendance. Schools should plan now forways to continue educating students who stay home through methods suchas instructional telephone calls, homework packets, internet-basedlessons, and other distance-based learning approaches." Guidelines from the Centers for Disease Controlhttp://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/schools/schoolguidance.htm

Early treatment of high-risk students and staff: People at high risk for influenza complications who become ill withinfluenza-like illness should speak with their health care provider assoon as possible. Early treatment with antiviral medications is veryimportant for people at high risk because it can preventhospitalizations and deaths. People at high risk include those who arepregnant, have asthma or diabetes , have compromised immune systems, orhave neuromuscular diseases. High-risk students and staff members stay home: People at high-risk of flu complications should talk to their doctorabout staying home from school when a lot of flu is circulating in thecommunity. Schools should plan now for ways to continue educatingstudents who stay home through instructional phone calls, homeworkpackets, internet lessons, and other approaches. Consideration of selective school dismissal: Although there are not many schools where all or most students are athigh risk (for example, schools for medically fragile children or forpregnant students) a community might decide to dismiss such a school tobetter protect these high-risk students. Suggested language for inclusion in students Section 504 Plan, IEP orother written accommodation plan: The school nurse or school administrator shall notify the parent ifstudents and/or school staff have been diagnosed with the flu (oranother contagious illness that presents a high risk of complicationsfor children with diabetes) so that the parent and the child's healthcare provider can determine whether the student should stay home fromschool in order to avoid exposure. Upon request by the school, parentshall provide documentation from the child's health care provideradvising the student to stay home. The student shall not be penalizedfor related absences and shall have access to the same alternativeeducation services as would be provided to any other student who ismedically required to remain home under similar circumstances.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Thanks for posting this.. is the 504 suggestion from the CDC or the ADA?

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

thanks Kathy.

4. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

Thank you for the info Kathy. I plan to push the school on this issue. I don't trust the school nurse or administration to do anything more then the have to to protect the students.

During the regular flu season last year, they had nearly 25% of the school out sick and didn't close the school. I sub at the school and ended up getting the flu and was sicker then I have ever been in my life.

5. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

along these lines, will you be keeping your non-d children home if it is in the school?

6. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

The 504 recommendations ADA...CDC is setting the guidelines regarding what students with type 1 diabetes students should do. The ADA is recommending putting the language in your 504s and IEPs to proctect our children.

Does that answer your question?

7. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

To those who have PMed me....

Yes, you can revist your 504 or IEP already this year. I would suggest speaking with the nurse and principal regarding making an ammendment. I plan on doing a one page attachement with everyone signing the one page. Then I will make sure it is attached to this year's plan.

Regarding the question about the non-D child....good question. I am thinking about installing a chemical shower at my house along with a space suit for my daughter, husband and myself.....just kidding :D Seriously, I really don't know. They both attend separate schools. I guess we will cross that bridge when it happens.

8. Kaylesdad

Kaylesdad Approved members

This was sent to our schools 504 coordinator on June 1, 2009 and became effective Sept. 1, with the start of the school year.

With the recent events across the nation involving flu pandemics, and the likelihood that the upcoming flu season will produce new challenges, I am requesting to add the accommodation of homeschooling all of my children during times of school wide flu outbreaks. It is common knowledge that persons with chronic conditions such as diabetes are at a higher risk of facing more severe complications when afflicted with the flu, and this has held true in Pennsylvania with each of the confirmed swine flu deaths having diabetes as well. It would be generally accepted that my daughter who currently has a 504 plan to have included that she can be home schooled during such times of flu prevalence within her school but with two other children in the school district (1 in the same building and 1 in the HS) it would be best practice to keep all of my children home as to minimize the risk of cross contamination and infectious control during such times as well.

Being trained in hazardous materials and infectious control myself, and a member of the Lackawanna County Flu Pandemic Committee, the main goal in the accommodation for my daughter would be in attempting to limit her contact with the flu and all persons suspected of having such. This attempt would be useless if while isolating one child her siblings are then acting as the potential couriers of the flu from school to home on a daily basis negating all efforts in maintaining an infectious free environment.

Due to the fact that a section 504 plan does cover immediate family members with some limitations, I am requesting to have such accommodations like keeping siblings home as well and such language that said absences would not reflect negatively on their grades (providing work is completed at home and submitted accordingly) as it currently states for my daughter the subject of the 504 plan with diabetes related absences.

It is unfortunate we need to plan for such occurrences but a Childs life and safety needs to be primary while attempting to obtain an appropriate public education and educational experience. We look forward to working with you and obtaining your cooperation and hope that this is one accommodation we will not need to activate.

Details can be as simple as my retrieving each Childs school work at a schedule convenient for the District and returning such completed work based on timetables established.

Rob O'Donnell

9. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

Thank Kathy,

My husband and I have been struggling regarding how to deal with this.

I do not want to over react nor under react.

We are still struggling with whether to vaccinate (if and when it comes out) or not.

BUT we will definitely do this.

I have so much anxiety about him going back to school....I understand the low odds of him having complications but it does not make me feel any more comfortable,

10. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

Tammy you crack me up!!! I agree...I am sure my school is going to love it!!

11. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Thanks, Kathy. This very timely as I'm meeting with the public health nurse at school this afternoon.

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

Sigh...one more thing to worry about. I am going to email the CDC to my school nurse and see if they have a plan...

13. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

I sent an email to the nurse and 504 coordinator asking about the school policy and telling them about the CDC recommendations. I go to work at the school at 11:30...:D Should be an interesting day.

14. Flutterby

Yes, thank you :)

15. Flutterby

Tammy, you kill me.. LOL:D

16. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Thanks for the info..I've been thinking about this as everyday we are hearing more and more cases near us.. And recently 5 confirmed cases in our town.. None are at the schools my children attend but still close to home.. I will need to be keeping this in mind.. Caydens teacher did talk with me about it briefly the other morning, so I know they are on the same page as I am about it, which helps..

17. selketine

selketine Approved members

Well maybe I'll wait to spring this on my nurse and school after you guys do it and see what happens to you! I can then keep my fan on a bit longer cause it is supposed to be warm this weekend.:p

I understand the reasoning for keeping the child with D home - and the siblings - but that means that they would really have to stay in the house - no going to the mall, to Target, to the movies, out to eat, etc. perhaps? I don't know if we can argue that they are simply more exposed to the virus in the school setting and not at the shopping mall. I ask because my local high school (very near my house and near William's elementary school) was shut down for at least a week last spring when one kid got the swine flu. At that time they told all of the high school students they were supposed to stay home and not go ANYWHERE like the places I mentioned - which of course I'm sure they all ignored.

Different states have different regulations for home schooling - there are still benchmarks that have to be met - or someone has to certify the course of instruction in our state. It seems quite complicated if they would need to be away for several weeks.

18. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

Thanks for posting this info.

Kaylesdad was kind enough to send me his wording of his 504 a few months ago and I used it and added a few of my own statements into it. I submitted it yesterday as a request to update his 504 so....fingers crossed.

19. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Thank you SO much for posting this info.

20. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

I know exactly how you feel. I stopped relying on statistics to make me feel comfortable a long time ago. Reese's troubles should not have happened statistically...so there you go. And with this flu Reese is in 2 of the high risk groups...oncology patient and diabetic.

We told Reese's teachers yesterday that we would go to homeschooling if the flu starts to circulate this Fall, until he can be vaccinated. School starts Tuesday, a part of me wants to send him wearing a surgical mask.