- advertisement -

CBS daytime show The Doctors' giving false info........

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom to a sports nut, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Here's the thing about that. If they are deleting because they plan to respond, why not place a post SAYING that they plan to respond after the weekend? One little post isn't that hard to do.

2. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Probably because they have some peon deleting posts that has very limited power as far as what they are allowed to do. Maybe they aren't allowed to post.

3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Good point.

4. Jacob'sDad

BTW there is still only 22 posts. That's pretty good but we can do better. Remeber the goal is not just to let them know we are dissatisfied and angry. We've already done that. The goal is to get them to correct what they said on the air and hopefully do a segment or a whole show that tells the truth about diabetes. This is a new show and probably has a huge amount of viewers. It could start a chain of events with other talk show also doing segments about diabetes. I've seen it before; one show does a topic and others follow it doing the same topic.
    IT WOULD BE WORTH HAVING THE DOCTOR MAKE THAT FOOLISH STATEMENT IF THE END RESULT WAS A POPULAR SHOW AIRING AN ENTIRE EPISODE DEDICATED TO THE MYTHS OF DIABETES!

5. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

This thread has been viewed over 3300 times. Even allowing for people checking back for new posts, that is A LOT of views! If you are reading this and you have not contacted "The Doctors" program, please do so. It can only help. Be part of the squeaky wheel!

6. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

Here's my post.

This is incredible. The misinformation about type 1 diabetes is hard enough to correct from well-meaning friends and family. But it’s shocking to hear it coming from someone who is considered to be a professional. Scare tactics used on children is unacceptable, and using untruths as scare tactics can only make things worse.

We have a beautiful daughter, 9 years old, who has type 1 diabetes. I can promise you that she did not get this from eating too much sugar. This is an autoimmune disorder, plain and simple.

Children this age can be extremely cruel. Can you imagine the possible teasing a young child could be subjected to if one of their classmates has seen this show and believed it? Do the right thing and set the record straight about diabetes. Do it not only for your reputation, but for our children. They don’t deserve to hear these lies.

7. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

BTW, I did also use the Contact the Show form. I'm a little discouraged: I know this is picky, but I have to point this out.

From the page after you submit the form:

You think that a website for a television program could spell the word ANSWER correctly?

8. mom to a sports nut

mom to a sports nut Approved members

OH MY!!!!!!!!:confused:

9. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

I also did the contact the show part and also commented on the Doctors Board Blog - i have not seen any responses. Oh and I think I even wrote a question directly to the Dr. (even though it is prob some college intern reading these!!) I even checked that I would be willing to go on the show.

I am more than disappointed. These untruths are similar to things out there on other mass media programs about breastfeeding, stay-at-home parents, working-moms, allergies, where and how you birth (c-section/vag. delivery) . . . you name it - media runs with it . . .

The original poster mentioned that this was a take off from the Dr. Phil show. . . well that there tells me that most of what will be aired will be hype driven . . . I used to think Dr. Phil could be helpful and insightful. . . but the media really turned him (and he allowed himself) into a monster . . . there is little I would recommend from him these days!

Vicki

10. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Hey gang lookee here

Just posted on the board with less activity, by someone purporting to be a Moderator (spelling error is as copied so maybe this is the "anwser" person too LOL:

"EsmereldaPea -

If you have asked a question that went unansewered I apologize. Please be assured that all the comments made concerning this topic, and others, have been recieved.

TheDoctorsBoard2"

11. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Yes that's my post. I responded:
    "Comments have been received by the show but apparently ignored as we have not seen a response, retraction, correction, or apology for the spreading of damaging misinformation by doctors on the show. If the intentions of this program are truly to promote health and understanding of medical issues then a program that corrects the earlier ignorant comments, and then explains the realities about diabetes and the children unlucky enough to have been stricken by the disease would be an obvious decision.

If the real intent of the show is to feed the egos of your medical doctors who spread ignorance and discrimination, then job well done."

I guess I'm not feeling very polite any more.

12. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Bravo. (message too short)

13. Jacob'sDad

Here's what I emailed to the show:

Concerning the Sept. 24th show where Dr. Sears was talking to the students in the lunchroom:
    Why on Earth did Dr. Sears tell those kids that if they ate too much sugar they would get diabetes and have to take shots for the rest of their lives? First off, it is nothing but a cheap scare tactic. Second, and even worse, it is flat out untrue. The type of diabetes that causes children to have to take shots for the rest of their lives is type 1 diabetes. It is not now nor ever has been caused by eating too much sugar. It is an autoimmune disease where the body's immune system attacks the beta cells in the pancreas and therefore the body can not make insulin. Because of this they must take insulin for the rest of their lives. Sugar consumption has zero to do with it. Even type 2 diabetes is not caused directly by eating too much sugar and only in very rare cases would it cause a child to be insulin dependent.

I have a 7 year old son that has been type 1 for 3 years. We tell him time and time again that it is not his fault and it is not our fault. There are plenty of people out there who still think that his diabetes is caused by eating too much sugar. So far we have been lucky and he has not had to endure any teasing (that we know of!) from his schoolmates saying that he got it from eating too much sugar. I'm not so sure that will continue now that Dr. Sears has said just the opposite on a popular TV show. People respect and believe doctors like him. After all, he is part of the "Dream Team" right? He must know his stuff! You can't imagine how tired we get of people looking at us (my wife and I) like we gave him this disease by pumping him with candy!

The damage is done. The only way and I mean THE ONLY WAY to correct this is for Dr. Sears to be a man and admit that he was wrong. He needs to apologize to those kids in that lunchroom and too all of America and TELL THE TRUTH about what causes diabetes. If he doesn't know, then he'd better learn fast.
    I have a feeling that I'm far from the first person who has brought this up. I highly doubt that this will EVER be dropped until it is corrected.

14. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Man up Dr. Sears!

15. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

I just posted on the blog as well. Hopefully it actually stays there.:rolleyes: Boy do we really need some true info on D to be given out.:(:mad:

16. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

When I talked to Kyle about this, he said 'oh so the Dr. was trying to scare the kids like when we are told to be good or else we won't get presents from Santa Clause'. I don't know whether to laugh or cry :(

17. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Daily bump...

18. kemjris

kemjris Approved members

I also emailed Dr. Phil, since his name is associated with this show as well.

19. Lee

Lee Approved members

OK - I just posted the email I sent to the show on the forum.

20. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Okay so now they have removed the comment from the board moderator and my response to them from my post!!!:mad::mad::mad: But they left comments that came after mine agreeing with what I had said. They are definitely watching our complaints and responding. Just in an absurd way.

This is ridiculous and infuriating at the same time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.