- advertisement -

CBS daytime show The Doctors' giving false info........

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom to a sports nut, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mom to a sports nut

mom to a sports nut Approved members

I just caught a glimpse of a CBS daytime show, sponsored by Dr. Phil I believe, called 'The Doctors'. It is a panel of physicians who answer viewer and audience questions. One of the more in depth storys today was about a child who was a fussy eater and wouldn't eat healthy lunches. The doctor went to the child's school and was talking to a bunch of, I'd say, 7 or 8 year olds........I was horrified to hear the doctor say, as a way of convincing these kids to eat healthier, the following: you don't want to eat a bunch of sugar or you will get diabetes and have to have shots the rest of your life.

To say I am angry is an understatement. I have tried to find an appropriate avenue to give feedback to the program and to CBS but haven't found an email address etc yet. It is bad enough that we need to deal with uneducated media giving false information, this one takes the cake, to have a physician trying to 'help' kids say it.............

2. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

WTH? That makes me so MAD!:mad: If you find an email or address to send complaints on the show, please post it. We should all complain. If they consider themselves a credible medical program, they should make it right by doing a program on the real facts about Diabetes.

3. skimom

skimom Approved members

Just goes to show you that ignorance crosses all segments of society. I have found that many people in the medical establishment have no clue about D - one doctor knew nothing about long acting insulins, didn't know pumps existed and didn't know that insulin could be administered more than twice a day...
    All we can do is keep educating and having our kids thrive inspite of the ignorance

4. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Contact Info for Show

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/contact_show_form

Main website is www.thedoctorstv.com.

And this is what I sent:

"As the mother of a child with Type 1 diabetes, I am incredulous and appalled that today's episode included a doctor telling young children that they can get diabetes from eating too much sugar. NOT TRUE! While Type 2 diabetes may occur in any person, young or old, and may be tied to obesity, to state that eating too much sugar causes diabetes is simplistic and alarmist and fuels the widespread misunderstanding of diabetes in the general public.

Then we move specifically to Type 1 diabetes, which is an autoimmune disease and has absolutely NO TIE to consumption of sugar. Evidence my stick thin, super athletic teenaged son.

If this program has a mission to educate, at least provide accurate information. You have done a disservice to every person who is afflicted with diabetes of any kind."

Could probably have been a little better but I wanted to be sure I did this NOW.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  5. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Those comments about diabetes, sugar, and injections are so inappropriate. Not only are they inaccurate, but they are also not suitable and are unrealistic statements for that age group of children.

More than anything, this comment is more of a fear-provoking statement to the children on the show. I think it is inappropriate for people, let alone doctors to say stuff like that to this age group. The comment was a blanket statement that did not explain to the children how diabetes manifests, or how it actually onsets. Plus, it's inaccurate too.

6. mom to a sports nut

Becky, thanks for the link, here is what I sent:

"This is not a question but a comment out of concern from a statement I heard on todays episode (Sept 24th). The comment I am referring to was made by Dr. S****? to a group of school children in a school cafeteria. In an attempt to convince them that eating healthier food choices was a benefit to them he made a statement to the effect of 'if you eat lots of sugar you will get diabetes and have to have shots the rest of your life.' I am the parent of a daughter with type 1 diabetes. An autoimmune disease that has absolutely nothing to do with sugar consumption before or after her diagnosis. Making false statements such as the one shared by a physcian on your show is nothing short of telling a child with cancer that they ate too much of a certain food and brought it on themselves. My daughter was diagnosed at the age of 10, she is now 14, she was then and is now, a provincially ranked athlete in swimming and the high point scorer and star player on her school and regional basketball teams. There is great frustration amongst the 'internet' community of parents of children, some infants and toddlers, with type 1 diabetes, about the misinformation or inaccurate information that media outlets share. To have a medical physician, who is supposedly a person who has received an education in the area of autoimmune diseases, reinforcing the misinformation that global media presents, is very frustrating to parents of children who are inflicted with this disease. I have shared my concern on alarge, national forum for parents of type 1 diabetes, as it is a concern of great numbers not just myself as one parent. "

Regards
    Alison B******** BC Canada
    (Forum for Parents of Children with Type 1 Diabetes-http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3 )

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  7. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

:mad::mad::mad: That makes me sooooo mad. I have had it with stupid people, esp. doctors. I sent them a question for their show, but it was really a comment on how doctor can not even get type 1 and type 2 correct. Geezz.

8. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Bombardiers, assume the position. Keyboards at the ready. Have at it.

9. mom to a sports nut

.......you know, even for people who develop type 2........it is still misinformation.

10. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

One of my friends was on this show last week. I'll email him and ask him for the phone # .. they will be getting a call from me tomorrow!! I won't watch it, anyway. It infuriated me when he was on; they thanked everyone except for him, and he was the one who worked tirelessly to get someone to do surgery on this child (from Vietnam) that saved her life!!

11. mom to a sports nut

12. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

This is what I sent.

I would like to know why it was stated on the show today to a bunch of children that if they eat too much sugar they will get diabetes? This information is incorrect, and is an outrage. It's not sugar consumption that causes any type of diabetes. I hope that all of your programs are not as full of misinformation as today's was. Today was my first time watching, and I am very disappointed with what I saw.

13. Jordansmom

I sent my comments in:
    "As parent of a type 1 diabetic child, I was outraged by the doctor's comment today to the school children in the segment about eating a healthy school lunch. The doctor warned the children against eating sugar, telling them if they do they will get diabetes and have to take shots for the rest of their lives. This is an ignorant and offensive comment to the thousands of type 1 diabetic children and their families. The majority of young children who have diabetes are type 1. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease and is not caused by poor eating habits. My child did not get diabetes by eating junk food. If the doctor in this segment knew how many times diabetic children have to endure ignorant comments about how they must have eaten too much sugar, he would issue an apology for his misinformed statement. The doctors on your program should be addressing medical misinformation and myths by educating the public rather than encouraging ignorance and discrimination. The diabetic community is potentially a major target audience for your program as we are eager for information on health and wellness issues. You would do well in the future to treat us with more respect and sensitivity."

I agree that is an inappropriate comment for type 2 as well. I just decided that was a whole new complaint.

14. kdsor

kdsor Approved members

re: show

To say I'm mad would be an understatement.

This type of misinformation perpetuates the silent but CRUEL prejudice our children face because of the misnomer that they DID something to get this disease.......

A prejudice that insidiously prevents people from being more empathetic towards our children's needs...................because in their mind, they're thinking "well, they brought this on themselves......." Makes you wonder how many people at school, at 504's, at IEP meetings etc......think this? Lately, after reading many posts, you have to wonder if some school nurses don't believe this as well.

Luckily for us, Richard has experienced very little prejudice, and most of it occurred upon hearing of his dx. He has learned to shrug it off.....the stupid comments, the unsolicited advice etc...........but, as a mom, no matter what their age you want to empower them to deal with these little "stings."

I guess that's why I'm so upset about this post.......I'm feeling the "sting" for all our children.....for all our heros :)

I think perhaps this show should do a documentary on the "daily life of a child with type 1 diabetes".....much like a reality show......where the doctors can live it for 24 hours............maybe then they would pause before making such uninformed, politically incorrect, insensitive and divisive statements!

I'm in awe of my child every day. He's not an athlete, he's not an overly outgoing child but he is one that deserves to be applauded as all our children do.

He handles D and his other illnesses with a grace I didn't have at 15, nor do I have it now at my age! He's among the top in his class (even with taking two AP classes), is in numerous clubs and he will begin to volunteer at a local hospital in a few weeks. Very rarely do I hear complaints and never, has he used D as an excuse.

Our children are on the front line of this disease and they deserve better than a Sunday morning commentator's quips re: a Saturday game they have NEVER played!

You can better believe they're going to get one more email :)

Paula

Perhaps we should line up all of our "sugared" rail thin children and take a group photo then send it on with the caption......"Can you guess who ate too much sugar at lunch today?" What ya think?

15. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Well, let's see who the first to get a response.

I hope they fix this. It gets soooooooooooooo tiring fighting these statements.
    I didn't write anything as elegant as the rest of you, but I made my point.

16. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

It's not about what's written as much as it is about how many write. Strength in numbers, baby!

17. Jordansmom

I agree. I think I'll ask my family to write in as well.

18. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

Just sent in my flame....

Only point I added was that I hoped that there were no children with diabetes in that doctor's cafeteria audience, and to suggest to these children who live with a disease they don't understand or want, that they caused it themselves is unconscionable.

There was more, but that was the only thing truly different.

Oh yeah, and that a public apology needed to be made ASAP.

19. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I didn't even see the show but I sent off a note.

I just think it's sad to imagine that other parents see these sorts of shows and say "well I saw it on .XXX so I know it must be true" And telling such things to a child well that's just down right absurd. Adults, especially ones in authority, need to monitor every word that comes out of their mouths because kids DO listen.

When my daughter was about 7 or so the gym teacher told her that cheese clogs your heart. Now, yes, in a way this is correct. I understand the point he was trying to make to the children. But cheese is also a nice addition to a healthy diet. And it happens to be something that we really like in our home. My daughter was terrified for the longest time to eat cheese because she thought her heart was going to clog up and she'd die.

20. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

Ugghh . . . I sure hope he's not related to Dr. William Sears the pediatrician with all the baby books that I loved!!! This is so disheartening since we already hear these types of comments from ignorant bystanders, but when a people see a doctor on TV they will believe almost anything . . . what a setback for all of us advocates . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.