- advertisement -

Cause of T1D?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CJ's Mom, Oct 3, 2009.

1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

:D

Funny!

2. Melancholywings

Melancholywings Approved members

The children's hospital told us that the NW area and Finland have highest population of Type1D in the world.
    I can't help but wonder if it's mold allergies that contributed to it for her. And it makes me feel guilty that we moved to the NW - which is silly because we were able to have her because of the move.

3. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

I can only guess some kind of illness but he also did not have ANY antibodies when he was tested. THey are testing him for monogenetic but they haven't found anything at U of C yet so I am guessing that is out. The guy there said that it is possible to have type 1 without antibodies. Not common but does happen. Keep praying they would say that there is another answer but not yet!

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I think in these cases they're thinking a possible Vit D link (lack of sun in the most northern places)

appx 10% of kids don't have antibodies y et still do have type 1. :) They don't really know why - could be they just don't have all the antibodies identified or maybe someday our kids will be classified as a different version of type 1.

5. Jessies_Mom

Jessies_Mom Approved members

We're not sure about a cause. As far a trigger...my daughter had pneumonia at about the age of 13mos which was treated with Amoxicillan right before the symptoms of D started to show.

6. Logansmom

Logansmom Approved members

Two theories but really, we have no clue:
    1. MMR vaccine-he had a terrible reaction to it. 2 months later was dx.
    2. croup hospitilization 4 months prior to dx

7. JJsMomma

JJsMomma Approved members

::I'm pretty confident Dana's trigger was the MMR vaccine (actually says in the
    package insert, possible adverse reactions, fourth down on the list, Diabetes mellitus).

Months following the shot she was constantly lethargic. Always seemingly sick with ear infections.
    The MMR is among the last live-virus routine vaccines.::

Oh my word...unreal....JJ had his shot and 6 months later dx.....wow.

8. cheri

cheri Approved members

My son definitely has the genetic link. On father's side, Dad Type 1 & grandmother Type 2. I have a strong history of hypothyriodism in my Dad 's family, Myself, My Grandmother, His sister & My great grandmother.

My son had pneumonia in November 2008 & he was diagnosed on June 29, 2009, but I think he had symptoms prior to that illness. He was 12 & played too much x-box. He could barely make it into the bathroom. He actually wet his pants. I thought he just did not want to get off his game. Several of us Mom's had discussed this & it was a common gaming issue. I now look back & think I missed this big clue. It had been there for a few years.

I even asked the pediatrician to test his for diabetes in November 2008 due to his x-box bathroom issues. After he was diagnosed, she claims that she has no record of the test. I think it was never run. I think they thought I was an over protective mother. I would have loved to know his numbers for November 2008.

Enviromental Issues- Week before pneumonia November 2008. I ran a bath for my daughter. I kept dumping it out because it was yellow. I still wish I had a sample. I walked into kitchen & my son was drinking the water. I remember yelling at him that something was wrong with the water.

I guess I just have three thoughts is it genetic, virus or Enviromental. I guess I will never know for sure- but I am sure genetics are the leading reason maybe kick to the front & center by the other issues.

9. ACrawford

ACrawford Approved members

Hello, my son Kendrick was just diagnosed a month ago with Type 1 at 15 months old. He had never had a vaccine prior to dx. My older son is ADHD and I think vaccines contributed to it, so I wouldn't vaccinate my younger son. He has pretty much been a healthy baby until this.

10. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

We have no cases of type 1 in my family or my husbands. I can't recall an illness that could have caused anything. It's a mystery to us as well.

Things I wonder about:

1) Erin, she always had a sensitive stomach. She had to be put on a special infant formula from a very young age. So that makes me wonder if that has something to do with it.

2) I had Erin in my mid 30's.

3) I had gestational diabetes with my boys and very high blood pressure. With Erin, I didn't have any complications. Strange to me and I wonder if maybe that didn't effect her in some way.

4) I was on anti depressants for anxiety with her and my youngest son (the one with autism). They encouraged me to continue taking them through my pregnancies, but now I wonder if that was the best decision.

To tell you the truth, I just don't know. I can tell you why my son has autism but her diagnosis is a mystery to us as well.

11. Toni

Toni Banned

She was exposed repeatedly to Coxsackie virus (her best friend's sister had the virus for a week). She used to go over there every day. Of course, we didn't find out she was sick until after diagnosis. Mom ran out and checked both her kids. They were fine. :rolleyes: We had no idea and neither did the neighbors. Endo thought that was the reason. Note that she never caught coxsackie, exposure alone is enough to activate those T cells.

12. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

Does anyone have a copy of the insert of the MMR that they can scan and put on here?
    I was told, here in the USA, that it doesn't mention it on the insert

13. Mom2Michael

Mom2Michael Approved members

Well just when I almost finally stopped blaming myself for Michaels diabetes...
    I was 3 months pregnant with him before I knew I was pregnant. At age 40 and hubby having to use fertility drugs for us to get Emily I never expected another child. We were told it was unlikely so we weren't using any type of birth control and I didn't pay attention to my periods. The symptoms of being tired and a bit of not feeling good in the morning led me to believe I had a touch of the flu. I hadn't even noticed I missed a period until I went for my scheduled pap smear and they asked when my last one was and I couldn't remember even had me thinking it was perimenapause. I had a sonogram and sure enough there was the heartbeat. I was overweight, something I have struggled with all my life, and for months was upset that here I was at age 40 pregnant! I had a pretty normal pregnancy except for the weight gain on top of what I already had but at the end I swear I had developed gestational diabetes. I had the normal sugar test midway thru but was never retested. After DAYS, yes DAYS of labor and being given something to stop my contractions 3 times I finally got a doctor who would deliver him. My doc was out of town and it was Labor Day weekend. By the time I got someone who said yes you are in labor I was 5 cm's and Michael had turned sideways and I had to have an emergency c-section. He was 9.6 and although my 1st child was 9 pounds this was 12 yrs earlier there was no way I could have delivered him. While in the hospital he developed jaundice and then his sugar levels were running high so they had me pumping with 2 breast pumps to get my milk to come in faster. He was breast fed for 28 months with food being added as I did with my other 2. Was this the start of his diabetes?
    He was always off the scale with his height and weight to which I told myself, well hubby is 6'4" and I'm heavy so he's going to take off both of us. My oldest daughter at age 20 is 6'1". The ped would mention to us on every check up we needed to get his weight off but we figured he'd outgrow it. He wasn't obese but admittingly a "fat kid" but it didn't stop him from playing baseball, basketball, hockey, skateboarding or riding his bike.
    Right before he was diagnosed he had the booster for chicken pox and then a flu/virus. Could this have triggered it?
    Or is it that he was going to become diabetic anyway with there being type 1 diabetes on hubbys side and type 2 on mine and being heavy just brought it on earlier?
    I keep telling myself I did nothing wrong, that we're lucky it's only diabetes which is treatable or there was nothing we could have done to prevent it but now I'm wondering again. :(

14. momma_fish2007

momma_fish2007 Approved members

I think this is a dangerous post. I just want everyone out there to NOT blame themselves or try to find some link to why it's their fault. I would love to eventually know but until there's scientific proof I don't want to keep going back in my mind as to the whys. For a while I blamed myself for microwaving his plastic bottles. The Dr said it was a virus triggered thing. He got sick in March of that year, had his MMR vaccine two months prior but no dx til October and he was in VERY early stages.

So while it's interesting, just please be careful! This is such a sensitive issue and I just don't want moms and dads blaming themselves. You could fall into such sorrow if you let this get you. Ultimately it doesn't matter, (and I don't mean this in the sense of trying to figure out how to not have your other kids get it) but I mean that for now this is not reversible. It is what it is and the best thing you can do is manage d and help give your child the tools to do it themselves someday :)

Guilt and bitterness are such roots of pain, just thank God that you're able to take care of your babies! What an age we live in to be able to manage this evil thing. I do hate d...

15. mcleodja

mcleodja Approved members

Originally Posted by JJsMomma
    ::I'm pretty confident Dana's trigger was the MMR vaccine (actually says in the
    package insert, possible adverse reactions, fourth down on the list, Diabetes mellitus).

Months following the shot she was constantly lethargic. Always seemingly sick with ear infections.
    The MMR is among the last live-virus routine vaccines.::

Oh my word...unreal....JJ had his shot and 6 months later dx.....wow.

Does anyone have a copy of the insert of the MMR that they can scan and put on here?
    I was told, here in the USA, that it doesn't mention it on the insert

Yes, I would want to see this documentation also

16. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache...ine+safe"?+WEB+MD&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&ie=UTF-8

I Just googled...
    Found this from WEB MD. Second page, mentions it.
    Wow! :(

13. Hviid A, Stellfeld M, Wohlfahrt J, et al. Childhood vaccination and type 1 diabetes. New England Journal of Medicine. 2004; 350: 1398-1404

Okay, so I'm thinking now, hmmm.. If a family has members with TYPE 1, maybe they should have been told NOT TO TAKE the vaccine?

17. mcleodja

mcleodja Approved members

18. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

19. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

Vaccines cant cause D on their own, or many more kids would have it. But I do believe that they trigger all kinds of autoimmunity in susceptible kids and there is science to support that. Viruses can trigger AI problems on their own too, but mixing multiple viruses together and causing a massive immune response in a susceptible child is asking for trouble. Too bad we don't usually know who is high risk until it's too late.

Emma was dx'd about 6 weeks after immunizations and has always reacted very badly to them. She is obviously a worst case scenario combo of genetics and susceptibility since she practically got a new AI dx's with every vaccine. She is now medically exempt from most vaccines because of her unusually severe AI problems. But it's too little too late....

I'm not anti vaccine, but if I had known then what I know now I would've been much more careful with her.

20. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

The MMR vaccine has been very well-studied to see if it might be linked to lots of different diseases. These include asthma, eczema, bowel disease, diabetes and other serious conditions. In all of these cases, the researchers found there is no evidencethat the MMR vaccine causes these conditions. [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22]

This is a direct quote from this link on the 1st page...