- advertisement -

Carve Out My Own Pancreas

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Jul 30, 2013.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

In the course of normal conversation about the future Sophie hit me with this one today
    Sophie:"Can I live with you and Dad forever"
    Me:"don't you want your own place,when you're old enough"
    Sophie:"I'm afraid to live by myself,what if I go low,no one would be there to help. I could even die"
    Me:"Sophie,it is my hope that by time you live by yourself diabetes will be cured and you won't have to worry about it anymore"

I had no idea she was worried,poor kid. She always seems so upbeat and positive about diabetes

2. LJM

LJM Approved members

I think they might worry from time to time, this seems totally normal. How nice that she was able to convey this to you so clearly and directly at age 10---it bodes well for keeping those lines of communication open. Believe me, that will be invaluable when they hit 16!

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I agree with the PP. it is great that she is able to share her concern with you. Also, the fact that she did mention it does not necessarily (though it certainly could), mean that she worries about this often.

4. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

My daughter has voiced concerns at times about going low and dying - thinking kids that are older have and verbalize thia fear. Hopefully by the time she is old enough to live on her own the artificial pancreas will be here. Very sad :(

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I think those are normal feelings your daughter is verbalizing. And those feelings will change. Personally, I would not have told my daughter that her diabetes will be cured in 8-10 years. I know you said that is your "hope", but it may set up some unrealistic expectations. Or maybe not.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  6. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I would have said that just because she moves away it doesn't mean she will live alone. I had roommates until I got married so I never lived alone. Maybe she never thought of that.

I'd say its normal to think about things like that, as long as shes not having anxiety over it/consumed by it. If its a passing comment I wouldn't be too concerned.

But it breaks your heart all the same! :(

7. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

When our kids worry about D and their future it is absolutely heart breaking. I recently asked my DD if she wanted to start putting on her own sites. She said NO. She added that when she's an adult she didn't plan to do her site changes either....she said she plans on paying someone to do them...and then she added, when she is married her husband will do them and possibly her future kids will do too. :rolleyes:

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I just think it's important to communicate to kids that we are checking at night to keep them in good "control" and not because we are warding off death. I'm not even sure my kid knows that DIB exists, and I am fine with that. No child should fear dying in their sleep.

9. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I absolutely agree. I know a time will come when K has to find out, but I don't plan on sharing that information with him for many, many years--and I hope he doesn't hear it from anyone else, either.

10. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I completely agree with this. My parents always said they checked me at night so I would wake up at a "good number" so I would be able to do my best at my schoolwork and sports. I actually don't think I knew about DIB until reading it on this forum.

Now, I do understand the importance of night testing (or wearing a CGM) so it is not like their nonchalant attitude towards overnight testing inhibited my ability to be safe on my own at night.

11. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I love this! I would also add someone to floss my teeth each night to the list!

12. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

She doesn't know about DIB,I wish I didn't know about DIB either