- advertisement -

Carnation Instant Breakfast: liquid evil

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kaismom, Apr 30, 2008.

1. kaismom

kaismom Approved members

AUGGGHH

I used to be one of those moms, you know the kind that shopped mostly at the health food store organic this whole food that....That is until diabetes. Ironic I know. Now I'm obsessed with carb counts and trying to help kai meet the dietitians goals and also gain weight so sites will work well. And then of course it think it was Brensdad whose blog introduced the amazing stubborn low beating superpowers of the PopTart.

So it went against my better judgement but i've been sneaking instant breakfast in lieu of plain milk to pack in extra calories but the postprandial spikes are wicked. Any one have experience with instant breakfast? I assumed the GI would be relatively low with all the protein. but like clock work he is High at 2hrs post and then if i give him a correction he's low at lunch. no correction but 1/2 normal carb morning snack= low at lunch time. :mad::confused:
    I read with interest the thread on post breakfast spikes. I'm going to try bolusing 15 min before breakfast, and maybe some exercise after.

Any other ideas?

2. ADHDiabetic Mom

ADHDiabetic Mom Approved members

I can't tell you much, but I do know that Instant Breakfast makes SD''s BG go high. He won't drink it anymore.

3. CJ's Mom

CJ's Mom Approved members

We haven't tried Instant Breakfast. We use Ovaltine. 4T of Ovaltine + 8 oz of milk = 1 serving, 1 carb count, sorry, don't recall the exact number of carbs. CJ drinks 16 oz. of milk + 4T Ovaltine with maybe sausage and a "dippy" egg (you know, runny yolk-yuck!) sandwich on 2 slices of wheat bread that is 1/2 carb count per slice, cheese and light mayo. He's done great with the Ovaltine. Better than chocolate syrup or Nestle Quick.

4. Shannon's Mom

Shannon's Mom Approved members

The endo/nutritionist actually suggsted this to us in March. When I went to the store, I noticed they had a sugarfree chocolate one. I got that and we have been using it and not noticing any spikes. I am going to go back through my records/diaries to double check, but I am pretty sure. Are you using the regular or sugar free?

5. CJ's Mom

Ovaltine? we use regular. Can't find the sugar free here. We had tried a name brand sugar free syrup and he'd rather have to eat something healthy and carb free so he can have his Ovaltine than use sugar free syrup. So far the only sugar free item he won't eat/drink.

6. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I agree -- PURE liquid evil. Carson had never had any until last week. I bought him some when he got an expander put in his mouth and had a lot of trouble eating. This stuff is AWFUL!!! Yes, I agree with everything about the blood sugars. Always high at 2 hours and drops FAST. I figured out this morning that it probably has to do with the protein, too. It has 5 grams in the mix and 8 grams in the milk for a total of 13 grams of protein. Anything over 8 or so and Carson usually needs extra insulin....

But the other EVIL part about it is that it makes my nonD 4 year old absolutely a TERROR. About 15 minutes after he drinks it he is literally bouncing off the wall and he says MOM I CAN'T STOP. He is like that for about 6-8 hours and then it wears off. I have taken Henry off of all artificial colors preservatives and flavors because it really does affect his behavior -- and then I let him have the instant breakfast. WOW there is a direct correlation between whatever is in there and his awful behavior. It's not even him being ornery or anything -- he really CAN'T stop the jitters.... I didn't give it to him this morning and he is back to his normal self.

I'm going to let Carson finish the container and then we are done with the liquid EVIL!!!

7. Shannon's Mom

Shannon's Mom Approved members

The sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast. Now I am pulling out my records... We've had some lows that I couldn't figure out and now I'm wondering if this is the case!!!! The nutritionist suggested this as an alternative to DD wanting a homemade milkshake every night for a snack. Wouldn't this be great if it has actually been a problem and has caused us to change lantus dose and ratios the last few weeks!!!! Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

8. CJ's Mom

I have no idea what the carb count would be on this, just did a search for low carb milkshake and this is what I got:

"Spoon a few hearty scoops of your Dreyer's Sugar-Free vanilla ice cream into the blender.
    Pour a little bit of heavy cream (I know--it's called a MILKshake, but true low-carbers know that counter intuitively, cream actually has less sugar than milk).
    Now, you could throw in some unsweetened cocoa, and then a few pinches of Splenda if you were so inclined, but I prefer a classic--the vanilla malt. Now, Malted Milk is actually made from wheat, so go sparingly. Fortunately, the flavor is quite concentrated, so you only need a small sprinkle. Carnation malted milk is fine."

Off hand have no idea about the sugar or carb content of heavy cream, never use it, but I would think the carbs would be high. I'll also check my D cookbook at home tonight, we like milkshakes too but haven't considered them since dx. There's got to be a way to make them low carb.

9. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Funny, I feel the same way. This morning Westin had one and I tried a super bolus. I can't compair what happened as I don't have the cgms on him this morning, but I will say at close to the 2 hour mark, with maybe a 5 minute pre-superbolus (3 hour) he is at 283. I only superbolused by default. We were supposed to have pancakes. I made them and realized that the syrup was all gone. So I had already bolused him for the pancakes (70g) and the instant breakfast powder with milk is around 45g so I just figured the difference in basal and turned his basal off for 3 hours, calling it a superbolus :) I went ahead and turned the basal back on, so it is really going to be a 2 hour superbolus.

Okay, back to the subject, yes it is evil!

10. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

This is the only thing(although we buy some store brand) that Tony will consume in the mornings! And it has to be strawberry, God forbid I try to give him chocolate or vanilla. He gets three units of novolog for this, so that's 1 unit for 15 carbs total. For the rest of the day, it's 1 unit for 30 carbs.
    and I used to be so good about nutrition too, kashi cereal with organic milk for breakfast, sometimes some vanilla rice milk and some fruit for breakfast. D has made us eat some interesting artificially colored food lol.

11. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Chell has had the Carnation Instant Breakfast-Chocolate drink twice. And twice she has dropped on me severely, when she had them. That is one drink that save for a bedtime snack WITHOUT insulin, if her blood sugars are around 80-110, YDMMV.

12. WestinsMom

We tend to drop too at the end. That is why the supebolus might help that. We will see how today goes and then I will put the sensor back on tonight. Sometimes I am just a lazy bolus-er :) so superbolusing isn't something I think to do. It is all I can stand to set a combo bolus :)

13. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

You will have to let us know how the superbolus works with that. I would be interested in knowing.

14. WestinsMom

2.5 hours he is 218

15. WestinsMom

3 hours he is 147

16. WestinsMom

4 hour 81...so next time he eats it I will be a little more precise and try a 2 hour.

17. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

OK, this might be a dumb question, but why has diabetes brought this kind of food into your house if it is something you don't want your children to eat/drink?

We have always eaten very crunchy-granola and continue to do so (except for the brief time that Brian was on NPH and his "meal plan" was too large).

did I miss something? Are you on NPH and unable to feed the insulin appropriately?

Our nutritionist also recommended Ovaltine, and we use it when they've come up from a low or when they need a few extra carbs, but despite the sugar in it, there are a lot of vitamins, too. It is pretty yummy...

18. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

We were on nph, so we were feeding it. Now that's all he wants. It's just not a battle I want to make right now because I am so exhausted from pregnancy and D to change his breakfast. But he still eats vegetables like they are the best thing in the world for dinner, so can't complain there.

19. kaismom

kaismom Approved members

OMG thank you i suddenly feel like im not crazy. I just filled out the paperwork for our pump so hopefully we will have some bolusing options for postprandial highs. I've been using non-diet instant breakfast since my goal is increasing calories and we've been trying to avoid the sugar substitutes when possible. We were doing ovaltine before we decided to "kick it up a notch" and give instant breakfast.

Why has diabetes brought this kind of food into our house is a great question. and i think there are lots of answers. Our children pretty much ate a relatively low carb diet before we started keeping track especially kai. He's the kid that passes over mac and cheese for broccoli and greenbeans. We ate lots of fresh fruits, whole grains... We still stick to this alot but DS is so slim its hard to pull up fat to give a shot in, we've got arms and legs only right now and even those are slim. So the dietitian gave us goals which are really challenging to meet without these junk food items.
    Also I think there was a reevaluating of family priorities with diabetes, we need faster easier options. Also I've honestly suffered little bit of a loss of faith in my healthy lifestyle ideals (I did all of this and still we get diabetes: it felt like a loss of control and im only starting to get over it now). DH also follows my lead but would eat a totally different diet if it were up to him. When I told him about the poptart cure for lows it was like christmas morning...he was out the door and buying poptarts before i could say corn syrup.

Anyway I think we are over our instant breakfast stint. I love this board who would have thought we were not alone

20. WestinsMom

I think as you get blood sugars stablized, weight gain will be more. As my dietician used to always say to me, "Well, Michelle, if he is pissing all his calories away..." (he isn't going to gain weight.)