- advertisement -

Carl's tragic D experience in Samoa

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by kiwimum, Oct 14, 2009.

1. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Carl is still in Samoa with no sign of him coming home anytime soon. Doesn't normally bother me, but we have been posted to a base 5 hours from where we are now and Carl is supposed to be going on Oct 28, while the boys and I will join him in January. He will be allowed home once a month, otherwise it is just me again! Looks like he will be home for about 3 days then off again!:(

Anywho, not what I was really wanting to write about. He has just phoned me in quite a state. I think he was trying not to cry.

Today he was involved in a medical evacuation. It was a 60yr old Type 1. Her bg's were in the 540 range. She was convulsing and foaming at the mouth. The medics were giving her Actrapid to try and bring her down. Carl pointed out that they would probably have more success with Novorapid. They had none!:(

He just got word that she died.:( I think it has really hit home with him that these are the risks we face with Tyler and indeed, all of us with our children.

Probably not the best thing for him to experience, especially when he is so far from home and there is no one for him to 'lean' on, well, no one who 'gets it.

Sorry for the rant, but I just needed to tell someone and you guys are it!

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Aw w. Thats so sad Debs. I dread a civil emergency affecting us. How is he holding up otherwise?
    How are you and the boys doing?

Where are you heading too? We're about 5 hrs from you but I don't think there is any any airforce base near us. Are you going to Ohakea?

Hang in There :cwds:

3. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Yep, Ohakea - again! Spent six yrs there before moving up here to the big smoke in 2004. Kind of looking forward to it but kind of not.

Carl is holding up well. Thankfully his work this time has not been the same as it was in the last Tsunami so he has been a lot more cheerful, til tonight!

Boys and I are coping as we always do. Just getting on with things. I must say I don't mind him being away, I am used to it and I knew when I married him what he did for a living. What I don't always like is the uncertainty of when he is home. It might be on the weekend or he could be coming back on the Canterbury on the 25th. Who knows!:( We will see him when we see him!

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hugs Debs to you and most especially to your husband. So so sad.:(

5. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

Oh Deb, I am so sorry your husband had to experience that. That is so sad. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm so sorry.
    :(

7. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

Debs,
    I am sorry for you all. It has to be tough on everyone.

8. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

I am so sorry. That must be very difficult for everyone involved. :(

9. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

How sad!! I'm sorry he had to experience that! I'm sure he felt better after talking with you.

10. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

That had to have been really difficult for him to witness (and you to hear). My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to you all, and to the people in Samoa.

11. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Wow, I am so sorry. You and your hubby are very strong. I hope you get to see hubby real soon.

12. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Send your hubby hugs for us, hugs for you too...I would want to vent that too:(

13. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

oh no, your poor dh. I can't even imagine what that must be like for him. Big hugs to you too - this can't be at all easy for you.

14. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I can't imagine how difficult this must have been for your DH. And for you, too. I am so sorry :(.

15. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

((((hugs)))) Debs.
    I hope Carl gets back soon.
    If I can help in any way with the move, remember I'm only a phone call away.
    I'll email you on the weekend.