- advertisement -

Care package for newly diagnosed teen on mission trip

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sioux, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Sioux

Sioux Approved members

My son was diagnosed last week with T1D, on his 16th birthday. He was scheduled to leave (and with the approval of his Dr. did leave) Sat. for his annual mission trip. They asked parents to send care packages and of course I originally planned to send something sweet. That's not an option now, but i would still like to send something that he could enjoy and share. It does not necessarily need to be food. I'm struggling with what I could send that would be fun and not detrimental to his levels. Any ideas, please? Thanks in advance!

2. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

I'm impressed with your family's resilience!

Where is your son going and for how long? Is he able to count carbs on his own? If you send food, my main concern would be the accuracy of his carb counts so early in the game, so I'd suggest sending prepackaged anything with good nutrition labeling.

As for non-food stuff, I guess it depends both on both where he is traveling and his personality. Books or comic books would be great for some 16-yr-old boys who are so inclined!

3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

You can still send something sweet. People with T1D can eat sweets just like everyone else, as long as they take the correct amount of insulin to cover the carbs. Everything in moderation, of course. I allowed my daughter to have some sweets before she was diagnosed, and I still allow her to have some sweets now, and she's doing well. Did his endo say your son couldn't have sweets? Sweets are not "detrimental to his levels" any more than other carbs are as long as they are covered by insulin.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  4. caspi

caspi Approved members

Usually when first dx'd many kids are limited to "free" snacks or snacks 15 carbs or less that aren't bolused for while ratios/basals are figured out. Perhaps that's what the endo meant.

I second the prepackaged snacks - you can get many cookie and chip packs that are 15 carbs or less. Also Slim-Jims/beef jerky, sugar free jello, nuts are a few things that come to mind that don't have to be refrigerated.

5. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I agree. In terms of candy, there are some sugar-free options that taste like the real thing and require no bolusing for 1-2 portions. I tend to use Atkins chocolate candies (1g carbs for a package), sugar-free Jolly Ranchers, and sugar-free Hershey's chocolate minis.

In addition, make sure to send over some form of fast-acting glucose to treat hypoglycemia episodes. I found that glucose tablets (4g per tablet) and jelly beans (1g per bean) work pretty well to bring my levels up to an acceptable range without causing a subsequent spike 1-2 hours after treatment.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Slim Jim's. Dum Dum lollipops are on 7g each.

7. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

If you don't want to go with food - how about a frisbee or hacky sack, if he's somewhere hot maybe one of those chilling towels or a spray bottle with a fan attached to it? Maybe a hat from his favorite team, a deck of cards, or a nerf football?

8. Sioux

Sioux Approved members

Thanks all! I really appreciate all the input as I am currently a bit overwhelmed. Now, I feel like there are some great things I can send that don't scream "I'm different." Thanks again!

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I guess the biggest thing is that we have no idea where your child is in his DX? Is he like my oldest and have to count every carb and let it be considered? Or like my youngest that has more leeway in carb counting and a special treat that he would love and expect from mom would do so much for my "normalcy"?

10. Sioux

Sioux Approved members

Counting every carb

He is counting every carb right now. He is a very active (Sports) teen, but was quite ill, so the dosage was low for his activity, but he wasn't active. Now that he is away and moving more normally his numbers are coming down. I took advice from many and sent a dice and card game for the evenings, some Power Crunch Bars and sugar free candy. Today, he had ice cream with the group and his numbers stayed low so that was a great moment for him.

He was 790 at DX, had lost over 10 pounds (8% of his body weight) and his kidneys were not doing so well. However, he was fortunately very strong and healthy and is bouncing back quickly. He has already regained most of the weight and is now getting back to his normal activity levels. For him that is full-tilt or comatose on the couch!

We still have so much to learn, and this forum has been a god-send. I felt like my heart was breaking into many pieces, and having to pretend it wasn't. Reading what so many others have already experienced has been so helpful. Thank you all for your input.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members