- advertisement -

Carbs

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kledi, Dec 22, 2015.

1. kledi

kledi Approved members

Do u count carbs in vegetables like in brocoli or cauliflower ?

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We do. But we subtract fiber, so the net carbs is very low. But I do count all carbs and even bolus for <5 carb snacks because my son is very sensitive to them.

For fruits and veggies a good hint is to print up a chart of the carb factors of the foods you eat frequently and then post that on your fridge or inside a cabinet door. Carb factors are the percentage of net carbs by weight in grams. For peas, for example, the carb factor is 12. So 12% of peas' weight is net carbs (it's probably more like 15% but another 3% is fiber which is not absorbed). So you can take the weight in grams and multiply by .12. So 100g of peas is 12g carbs, 78g peas is 9 carbs (78 * .12) etc.

3. dpr

dpr Approved members

For us the effect on blood sugar is small we don't bother counting any of the lower carb veggies.

4. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

We don't count carbs for non starchy low carbveggies at all either. We do countcarbs for most fruits because they have more sugar. The carb factors that jennm99 posted are super helpful.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

We don't if they are being eaten raw.

For cooked vegetables we have used the rule of thumb 1/8th of the weight in grams as being the effective carbs, which interestingly enough is the same as multiplying by 0.125.. - very close to the value used by Jenm999 :)

6. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

five or more carbs we count. So salad - no. Peas - yes.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We only do starchy or sugary vegetables. So corn, peas, beets, potatoes.

8. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We do. Everything gets covered around here, even ketchup.

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

When Emma was little, we tried to be more precise with counting because being off by a few carbs was a bigger deal. Now, she gets so much insulin and eats so many carbs (often more than 100 per meal), being off by a few just doesn't make a difference. We weight certain foods, like pasta, but mostly we do a lot of swagging.

10. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

This sounds a lot like how I'm handling carb counting for my daughter. She is also currently using a lot of insulin (50 to 80 units daily; thank you, puberty hormones) and eats a relatively high-carb diet. We swag most of the time these days.

11. forHisglory

Swagging=guessing? And then later correcting? I'm tired of counting carbs so does that mean it's swag time?

12. Nancy in VA

Swagging means getting close - into the ballpark. There have been times that we have tried to be tighter with her carb counting, but other times, if we get close, we're fine with that. We will always err on the side of undercounting- we'd rather a high than a low because we can correct later. Most people just don't have it in them when managing a child with varying foods, hormones, activities, and phases of the moon to get extremely precise with the carbs. And the reality is that extremely precise doesn't matter. So what if you're 30 or 50 points high because you under count 5 carbs. Really. Diabetes is a marathon. Not a sprint. Give yourself permission to relax a little.

We do use measuring cups to measure food portions that need volume (rice, mashed potatoes), we weigh things that we can (pasta, baked potatoes, etc), and we read a label when we have one. But if we're scooping her some casserole, I take a guess and we go from there. And when we go out, the scale and measuring cups don't go with us anymore - we definitely estimate when we go out.

It could really be - "OK, do about 25 for the French fries, and 35 for the mac and cheese, and ooh, that's a big glass of milk, make that 26 for a total of 86 carbs"

13. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I think some people use "SWAG" as an acronym for "scientific wild a$$ guess."

14. Nancy in VA

Yeah - this ^^^

15. forHisglory

We do this too, just wanted to know how people define it....and I like the permission to relax. :) I was just telling my husband tonight if we could just have a few meals where we didn't have to count carbs. I'm so tired of it! Just being honest. Merry Christmas- we will be swagging a lot the next 2 days!

16. kledi

kledi Approved members

Thanks for ur help, what does it mean the phrases of the moon ? How does it efect diabetes

17. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Phases of the moon=a sarcastic way of saying you have no idea why one's blood sugar is high/low. Sometimes you can carb count very precisely, know the amount of exercise, hormones, illness, etc. and STILL end up with a blood sugar out of range. :)

18. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

We estimate and guess a lot. I'm just not going to stress myself out about whether the count is exactly right. Since she is pumping, if we need to make minor adjustments as we go, we will. I have a scale. I use it occasionally, but I don't pull it out at every meal. I look at labels when they are available, I measure if we are at home, but I realize that knowing the carb count exactly is just not going to happen. My 10 year old daughter's last A1C was 6.4%, which I think is pretty good.

19. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We count at home and SWAG on the go. We also have a chart taped to the fridge with carb counts for stuff we eat regularly, which really reduces stress - for individual foods and for whole meals. So we know 2 toaster waffles, 1/4 c. sugar-free syrup and 4 breakfast links is 40 grams, no thinking required.

20. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

Sometimes I'd rather count than correct, and other times I'd rather correct than count. I guess I like to trade out one stress for another from time to time, but I hate correcting more than counting because he seems to be more sensitive to corrections than meal time insulin (probably honeymoon). Also his correction factor is almost as large as his range and so my ability to correct on mdi is limited. Then again you can count and still have to correct, but if you don't count you only have to correct.

Anyway I do count veggies because my son is small. I think carb counts are a rough guess at what the liver is going to do after a meal, but I'd rather have a consistent reference frame from day to day. I also will note WHAT he eats for dinner every day as dinner seems to be the most inconsistent meal (he is by far most likely to go low 2-4 hours after, and most likely to be high 3-4 hours later with dinner. I think it depends a lot on his activity over the course of the day, whether he has used up some glycogen and made room to put his dinnertime carbs).

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015