- advertisement -

Carbs per skittle or smarty?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rutgers1, Jul 5, 2011.

1. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

Anyone have a working number that they use for them? I'd like to nudge Matt up a bit here and there, and some of our go-to foods don't raise him quick enough. Try as I might, I can't get Matt to eat Gluco Tabs. In fact, as I type, he is complaining about 20 feet away from me.

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I count 1 skittle as 1.5g. Seems to work for me, but I'm not sure if that's technically correct.

3. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

A normal size roll of smarties is 6 carbs.

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

We always counted Skittles as 1g. I don't know if your Smarties are the same as what I'm thinking, but these rolls of small round ones are 6g per roll, so we don't use those. That's a lot for just 6g. I think my daughter gets tired of the big glucose tabs sometimes. There are smaller GlucoBits that are 1g each, and about the size of a big pea.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yep. One carb per Skittle and 6 carbs per roll of Smarties. A study was done showing that Skittles raise BG as quickly as glucose tabs do, so they're a good one to use.

6. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

We recently found giant Smarties at Dollar General. They are the exact diameter of glucose tabs and fit in a glucose tab plastic roll. They weigh out closer to 2.5 cho each, but we count them as 2 for easier math for dd.

They were around 60 cents per roll, so considerably cheaper than tabs.

ETA: I just checked out the smarties website, and apparently there are giant *and* mega smarties. We're out right now so I'm not sure which kind we had??

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  7. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Same here - DD had a great time counting a huge bag out into snack size zip-locka prior to going to church camp this week. :D

We find these giant Smarties at Wal-Mart at the candy counter by the cash registers.

8. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

Those sound neat! I'll have to head over to the Dollar General.

9. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

I'm fascinated with this idea of Giant Smarties!!:p I have to check this out. Wal-Mart and Dollar General are only 15 minutes away!!

10. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Careful. Smarties are completely different - a chocolate covered candy, in Canada and the UK.

11. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I JUST started using 2 rolls of Smarties instead of glucose tablets for lows...6 years later and I finally figured out how much cheaper smarties are than glucose tablets:rolleyes: