- advertisement -

Carbs for apples?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Nov 20, 2011.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

How do you figure carbs for apples?

I 'think' a medium is about 16 and a large 22. How about a small?
    But, is there a weight for each of these? I have a salter scale but do not know if the code for apple with skin includes the core.

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-fresh-fruits-apple-with-skin-raw_f-ZmlkPTYzODc4.html

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-fresh-fruits-apple-without-skin-raw_f-ZmlkPTYzODc5.html

Calorieking.com is a great resource and so is the book. We always have the book on hand.

You can use the drop down menu on each of those websites to get the information for various sizes of apples. I always count the apples as a little less though, because I find that it all depends on how sweet they are, you know?

3. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

I believe 1 oz is 3 carbs, at least thats what i've been doing, and Ashlee eats apples every day! ;)

4. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

This is what we do for apples. Use the oz. option, then subtract 10% for the core.

5. vanessa22

vanessa22 Approved members

I remember in the hospital they told me half a apple with peanut butter was 15g. So I'd assume the PB is 2 or 3 so half the apple would be 12ish. That is what I've been going by without a problem.

6. lynn

lynn Approved members

We weigh in ounces and figure four carbs per ounce. That is with the core.

7. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

I cheat and buy them sliced in package.11carbs

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I bolus 12g for a smallish apple. It's one of those things that I've never needed to bolus the full amount for.

9. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

For a small apple we use 10g. We eat apples almost everyday and it seems to work.

10. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

we do about 11g for a small apple, usually seems to work out for most apples. Some types I swear have more sugar than others as honeycrisp apples always seem to need to be 3-4g higher for the same size apple for us, but usually 11 works out.

11. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

weight in g divided by carb factor of 0.13

usually about 15 -19 g for med apple

12. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

We use sthe same or similar ratios as listed. The only other thing is that we use the apple slicer from pampered chef. There are other brands but it give 8 even slices and cores the apple. This is great for counting and dosing.

13. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Okay I was wondering how to take off for the core. I will try that. We sometimes use a apple slicer but not always.

14. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

If you use the calorieking for fruits with cores, seeds, or nuts in shells etc. the listing will always have an asterisk * in the title of the item. And if you scroll down towards the bottom left of the page and find the other asterisk, it will tell you how much to subtract. Apples are 10% Pears are 8% Grapefruit 50%. It's different for each item. We use these functions on Calorieking and it seems to work pretty well for us. :cwds:

15. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

Jenny eats an apple a day, because you know that keeps the doctor away. :p We usually bolus 10 - 15 carbs for it, she doesn't need a full bolus. Often we don't bolus at all.