- advertisement -

Carb/insulin ratio difference throughout day?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tina, Sep 26, 2011.

1. tina

tina Approved members

Hi Everyone!

We notice in my 4 yo son, diagnosed in June, that he routinely has high BG (+200) in the morning 8am, he will be mid-high at lunchtime, noon, but will drop low in the afternoon (<80). This happens very often to the point that it doesnt seem to be an incorrect calculation at lunchtime. Sometimes it is due to a lot of excercise, but often it is not

He is currently at 1 unit/20g of carbs and 0.5 units/50 BG over 150 of humalog.

At night he gets 2.5 U of Lantis.

Would it be okay to alter his lunchtime carb/insulin ratios to differ from his morning carb/insulin ratio?

For instance stick with 20/1 for breakfast and dinner, but drop to 30/1 for lunch?

Thanks!

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yes, this is very common. I used to need twice as much insulin at breakfast than at any other time of day!

3. lisac

lisac Approved members

Absolutly! Hadlee has a different carb count for each meal, with a 4th carb count in case she eats supper after 8pm. You know your child best, go with your instincts.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

This is what I have to do for Steven. He needs alot more insulin in the morning for breakfast so gets 1:10 but for lunch he will get 1:12 or even 1:15 if he's going outside for recess as this will help to burn some glucose

5. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Yes, like Emma says, it is very common that they are more insulin resistant in the morning, so the ratios can be totally different. Most parent's don't figure it out so quickly as you did though, being so newly diagnosed! It isn't usually until people start pumping that they figure it out, or the pump trainer does.

6. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

yep, i think it's common to need more insulin during the AM. Ashleigh's I:C ratio and basal needs are highest in the morning and gradually get less and less as the day goes on.

7. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Definitely. Campbell's ratios are 1:7, 1:12, and 1:14 for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

8. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My four year old

My four year old has breakfast 1:12, lunch 1:20 and dinner 1:25. We definitely need higher ratio in the AM.

I would advise, though, to make a slow change to get it right. Our endo encouraged us to adjust by 2, give it two to three days, and then adjust again until it is correct.

It takes a good long while to get there. We have been doing this for two years.

If you ever look into pumping, we crank up basal rate at 4:30 AM to help with the morning highs.It really works.

9. Cdpimpinella

Cdpimpinella Approved members

I agree...very common. My dd's ratios are 1:12 bfast...1:20 lunch...and 1:15 dinner. Everyones ratios are going to be different. It is a guessing game at times to find the right ratio. Good luck.

10. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Having a different ratio at meals is quite common. I would guess that your endo has not had a chance to teach you this management technique.

11. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I do need different ratios at different times, but I also just need some carbs in the early afternoon without any insulin because I am more insulin sensitive so the Lantus dose lowers my blood sugar at that time.