advertisement

Carb free beverage

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Food' started by MadeleinesMom, Jul 25, 2010.

1. MadeleinesMom

MadeleinesMom Approved members

What is your child's go to carb free beverage? My daughter's was sugar free kool aid....but got worried about the dyes and colors. We switched to Propel which has very little carbs in it.

Thanks for the input!

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

It honestly drives me bonkers that before D we were a mostly coke free family, and really only drank water. Since D he often drinks SF stuff when he wants a sweet and I can't really blame him, but it does worry me, not only the dyes but the artificial sweeteners. But here I am, buying them, certainly not judging others, just wish I had better alternatives.

To answer the question, I keep quite a few things on hand now, those new koolaide fizzies, a variety of crystal light packets, diet DP and/or diet A&W creme (he likes to pour that over sf frozen whipped topping), and for a sports drink he prefers the no carb PowerAide at the moment.

I buy liquid stevia and am trying a new lemonaide recipe today, hoping that is a good substitute for some of the above.

3. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

Joseph also started drinking much more soda (sf) after dx. It started when he was first diagnosed and eating on a stricter schedule. It was easy to give him a soda to fill him up before it was time to eat again. I really don't like all the chemicals so lately I started replacing the sodas with LaCroix sparkling water. Costco sells cases for a decent price. Joseph loves them.

4. mmacys

mmacys Approved members

I make lemonade with fresh lemons and xylitol. I also use Zevia for a soda fix. If we are out and about, I get unsweetened iced tea and add a couple of xylitol packs that I keep in my purse.

For the most part at home, we drink Pellegrino with a splash of organic juice or a sliver of fruit. It is not carb free, but nearly and doesn't have all of the icky stuff n the ingredients.

Best, Michele

5. Jonathon's Mom

Jonathon's Mom New Member

My son likes the 4C Totally Light tea mix. It's made w/ Splenda. It comes in different flavors, he likes the lemon best.

6. MomtoPatience

MomtoPatience Approved members

Our nutrionist recommends Vitamin water but being very stingy in how often. Because even vitamin water has a chemical in it that isnt good for your liver.
    We "try" to just go plain water. But on speical occasions we let her have vitamin water to feel like the other kids.

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Crystal Light or plain water. There is no reason for diet soda - I wish I wasn't caffeine addicted myself to Diet coke

8. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

We drink a lot of Crystal Lite and the Great Value brand of Crystal Lite. It's what I put in his lunches for school. Also in the summer, Stephen likes those little 'hug' drinks that come in the yellow cardboard cases. All in all, he drinks a good variety. Milk, sugar-free chocolate milk sometimes, tea and LOTS of water... that kid will down the water fast than anyone I know.

9. BillysMom

BillysMom Approved members

My son drinks Diet Snapple in Cranberry Raspberry flavor. It has 2 carbs.

10. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Have you tried Olade (sp?) or some of the 0 Vitamin Waters? They have around 2 carbs/serving.

11. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We're so boring, water and milk only. Carson hates milk so he only drinks water. A very occasional gatorade for sports practices.

12. BettyBets0103

BettyBets0103 Approved members

We are stocked with the single packets of the walmart brand juice powders. (I compare them to Crystal Light) and water bottles. Other than those, we very very very occasionally have some diet soda in the house and of course milk and plain water.

13. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

DD has never liked sodas anyway. She mostly drinks just plain water and milk with meals. She will sometimes have a PowerAide Zero. We recently tried the Mio Liquid mix -it's like Crystal Light but it's in liquid form. There's one flavor of that she likes but she doesn't have it very often. I think it mixes better than the Crystal Light.

14. magickalmeadows

magickalmeadows Approved members

water :)

plain, or with lemon... or cucumber infused...

15. magickalmeadows

magickalmeadows Approved members

oh, also herbal teas (apple-cinnamon, chamomile & red)

hot or iced.

16. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

We have crystal light here in our house. But I prefer to have my kids drink water.